Game automatically assigns my computer name as player name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game automatically assigns my computer name as player name

Well, it's not that big a deal (and this might not be the right forum...if so - oops), but I was wondering....

When I start a game the name assigned to my leader is by default the name of the computer that I am playing on (in this case it's ORTHANC).

Now, it's a nitpicky problem, but I'm sick of typing in a new, more appropriate name every time I start a game up.

Does anyone know if there's an option in the config file to have it automatically assign a different name to the Leader at game start?

There's a field to set this in the main ini file. Can't remember the exact name for it, but it should be some thing like Civ4.ini and located under My Documents\My Games\ Sid Meier's Civilization 4.

Comment

At first I was annoyed by this as well, but I've become rather used to being called FAITHFUL-SHEEP the Glorious.

Comment

which is really annoying as I named my computer Butthead. . I have to change my name every time.

Comment

I think you create a new profile within the game, but so far I do not know if it works correctly. I have tried and change the Civ4.ini file and the name always goes back to what I named the computer, but since then I have not tried starting a new game with the new name I gave my computer (and restarted for it to take effect).

The other fields did change though to the new name, but still my game I am playing did not. Although I save it using another name, I think that is the name then that the game should use, so I deleted the Default Profile now, and the only other profile is the one I created with the name I want to use, but since then I have not started up a new game to see if it will take effect.

However, thel game did delete the Default Profile and did create the new profile!

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            which is really annoying as I named my computer Butthead. . I have to change my name every time.

Comment

Also as previous post:

If renaming the computer doe not work (and I would probably use a name I would use in Multiplayer games then) probably the game will have to be uninstalled, and re-installed to grab the new name given to your Computer.

As of yet, I do not know, but that may have to be done with Civ IV to change the at least the Default Profile.

So!
              Last edited by Raion; November 7, 2005, 15:26.

Comment

; In-game Alias
                Alias =

^Thats the setting you need to change in the ini file, but it still bugs me. I'd rather it defaulted to the rulers name instead some alias as thats what I always change it to.
                "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I agree the leader name ought to default to the actual leader you choose. Tiring to have to type that name in every time I start.

Comment

The file is
                    _Civ4Config
                    in your Civ4 directory. Change

GameName = myname
                    Nickname = myname
                    Alias = myname

(well, it's one of these, but I don't know which one. so I changed them all.)

Comment

yes, it will change all those names in the Civ4.ini file until the next time you start up the game and start a new game, then it will not change the computer name, that the Profile uses, so it does not work.
                      And yes, I also changed the name of the computer but that also will not work, because it rewrites the file and instead goes with the name that the computer had when you installed the game onto the harddisk drive.

I tried all of that -- and it does not work that way.

meaning now, that I have the new name for all the other names in the Civ4.ini file, except for the name of the computer --- that -- that will not change.

So a uninstall and a reinstall of the game will probably have to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ljw1004 in your Civ4 directory. Change
                        GameName = myname
                        Nickname = myname
                        Alias = myname
                        Is it cool if your name has more than one word in it, such as: "John Smith" or "Tim the Enchanter?"
                        Will the program know what to do if there is a space in what you replace "myname" with?
                        Sorry, I'm not very programming-savvy.
                        Thanks!

-Arlen

Comment

Originally posted by Raion
                          yes, it will change all those names in the Civ4.ini file until the next time you start up the game and start a new game, then it will not change the computer name, that the Profile uses, so it does not work.
                          "it will change" ???

I made those changes myself manually, using notepad. And the next time I started up the game it did correctly use the changes I made; it did not revert them.

Perhaps changing the profile/name in-game will be reverted, but changing it manually with notepad will not be reverted.

PS. When you talk about "civ4.ini" you do mean "My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini" I assume?

Comment

Has anyone who has played a PBEM game found it renames the first player to their computer name after the first turn as well?

You put in player 1 as Bob and player 2 as Fred and it's saving as...

Bob_To_Fred

Then Fred_To_COMPUTERNAME

Then COMPUTERNAME_To_Fred and so on...

Player 1 is also called COMPUTERNAME in the game itself as well as in the filenames after turn 1.

Comment

Yes I mean CivilizationIV.ini whatever it is, but on mine, maybe cause I did not start up a new game, I know for sure that it did not change the -- computer name, but all the other names. I have since in the last 15 minutes, changed my computer name, restarted the computer like Windows 2K wants, uninstalled Civ IV, and re-installed the game, after moving my Saved Games to another place, started up the game, changed the graphic settings again, moved my Saved Games back to the folder in the install drive -- by copying the folder - Save whatever it is, in the My Documents Part of the game, but Autosaves will still go there, while the Saves I make will go to the new Saved folder where I installed it and copied that folder over to the install folder, and now my computer name -- the name I gave the computer, is now changed.

Before it was T1862,
                              Now it is TimeTraveler-3

Well, I could not think of anything else, except maybe
                              Barney-Fiff

or something similiar, but now the game as the Default Profile has my new name for the -- name of the computer.

That did not change my log-in screen or anything else, that I use for that, just the name I had given to my computer.

All complete so --- That is all I can say. Hunting for maybe the *.dat file and trying to change it there I am not going to do.

I feel sad for ATI owners, but I see no other way to change it, and it did not change it before!

It changed all the other names, but not the name of the computer.

Now everything is -------- TimeTraveler-3
                              for me now!

Now!

Well, the old saved game still shows the original name I had when I installed Civ IV the first time (T1862) so the new game I start should not. Perhaps, the name can be change in the CivilizationIV.ini file but I did try that, and I thought I started a new game, but that did not change anything, it reverted back to the original name on the install (T1862) but now I feel that if I start a new game, it should take what I named my computer now (TimeTraveler-3) because that is what it states in the CivilizationIV.ini file.

I think it is sort of like a Registration of your computer when the game installs, and once installed with a certain name the game will keep that name until starting up a new game, with the computer name being changed now.

I have tried everything else, and that did not work before, like I said.
                              Well to start a new game, with the new name of my computer, and I think it will change it then.

I would call that a bug, but what do I know, and besides Creating a New Profile and using that may work, but then its been a blur lately, so I have to go to work now!

Yes, I started a new game and now it shows the new name for my computer. I think Creating a Profile is like more than one person using the computer to save the games individually with, but the name still used in the game seems to always be the --- name of the computer!

That may be a bug, but I know I Created a Profile, changed over to that Profile and all of that while in a game, and the name -- did change then but then restarting the game, the name that they use is -- the name of the computer. (and it did not retain any name I used for the game when starting the game up even.

Now a new game shows the new name after uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

The rest I am not real sure about, but I had tried various things including changing the CivilizationIV.ini file but it always reverted back to the name of my computer when I played the game even if I entered another name before starting the game or while in the game! The game would only retain the name for how long one was playing the game. Next time the game was started, it reverted back to the Name of the Computer and did not save the name I was using in the game.

??
                              Sometimes I do things too fast, so be aware that the name of your computer seems to be the name for the game player in the game. That is for sure!

I think it is bug, and if I want to change the name to -- Dino before starting the game (as I had done before) it should of used that name, but it did not retain that name, as it should of! It reverted back to the name of my computer when I had originally installed the game.

Call it a bug, I guess!
                              Last edited by Raion; November 7, 2005, 17:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X