No announcement yet.

I am trying to bring back Diplogames...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real question though.... are you in?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'm India, Capo is Rome, and no one else has picked yet. So you've got plenty of options. When setting up the map I kinda anticipated players in India, China/Japan, Russia, Western Europe, and then like the Mali.

I dunno whether or not we'll be able to get to 7 players. But if so, then I figure we just squeeze. It may take us a bit to get the feel of this game. Ordinarily I wouldn't dream of having just one civ in Africa, but with ICS dead if they tried to build in the whole continent they'd really be hurting tech wise. So its a much different dynamic.

Since the game is still very new, we don't have as many moding options yet as before with Civ2. So creating new civs might be off the table which could limit us. Unless we just want to do something like just drop the Arabs in Babylon/Baghdad, or Mali in South Africa. But (unless you want to learn) we probably couldn't do anything more intensive.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

No need to mod yet. The game still has the new car smell. I don't see much point in rushing to pick a civ until we're sure how many we'll have in the game. Balancing the spots for 5 is alot different than 7.

I'm sure I'll pick up the modding at some point though. If I can mode Warcraft 3 I can mod this. Hehe.

Comment

Well the 5 I listed are the basic bunch for the minimum. India, China/Japan, West Europe, Russia/East Europe, and Africa I think are the basis for any game.

If we get 6, then North Africa/Mideast vs. South Africa would be good.

If we get 7... perhaps Mali, Zulu & Turkistan? Or like Egypt, Zulu & Tartars? Mongols? I dunno. Fitting in number 7 is always an artform.

Comment

If your map is anything like the large one in the default game I'd say Siberia is the new dominate position, quite worthy of being divided up by a siberian power and the Russians. In fact I'd put 2 in north asia (with an India and a China) before I'd put 2 in Africa, mainly due to the power of forests.

Forests don't take away your food capacity anymore. A grassland forest beats a plan old grass land any day....and all those rivers. If you're gonna overload a spot, its Asia....

Comment

I'll grab China
              "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Perhaps I could shift the Mongols west a bit and they could be the central/northern Asian civ. That would be interesting.

I was really hoping for a good game with the Tartars (which one was that? HOTW4?) but the Tartar player really fell asleep on the job and never amounted to much.

So yea, lets try for 7 players: Rome, Mali, Russia, Zulu, Mongol (in central Asia), China & India.

Start recruiting more volunteers.

Anyone have a good name for this game?

Comment

HOTW In 3D!

Yeah I remember the tartars, but I think their placement was a strech from the begining, they were a group on the caspian sea I thnik. But Siberia is a great spot. You have a very strong homeland, but are disadvantaged when it comes to getting to new world resources.

But hey I know I went to college for a reason. I've got this book with plenty of siberian tribe names Buryats, Evenks, Sakha,Tungus, it just goes on and on....

I'll Guess I'll be the Mongol. You know we can't have any newbs bordering diety now can we? ^_^

Comment

If we have seven tribes...

So we now have China, Rome, India and Mongolia. That means we need at least another African tribe involved. I would suggest Abyssinia/Ethiopia only because its a change from the Mali we had in HOTW2, and also its close to the Middle East but not too close so there will still be room for India to expand west and Rome to expand East with enough space so that its quality expansion balanced with competition.

That makes five tribes. The next question is whether we want another African tribe. Or a more specific question would be whether the map you are making would be able to support another African tribe.

Another thing; for the purposes of spreading the tribes out a little more I suggest putting the Mongol starting point where Samarkand (Tamerlane's capital rather than Temujin's) is, which would be near where Uzbekistan or Tajikistan is located. This would place Mongolia in a position more equally distanced between Rome, China and India, and give them a good spot to make a crack and settling in the Middle East rather than competing with China for Asia. With this in place you'd have Rome, India, Mongolia, and Abyssinia all equally far from the fertile crescent which could make for early competition.

Mongolia would still be in a position to compete with China, but would also have an important settlement issue at hand; settling Eastwardly or Westwardly.

With these tribes: Rome, India, Mongolia, China, and Abyssinia we have a good selection of tribes. The next question I'd like to ask is if we are keeping the Americas free of tribes at all?
                    ------------
                    Ming blows, I'll change this when I have some time on my hands.

Peace!

RIP Bradley James Nowell

Comment

Continued

If we are trying to remit potential American tribes (as per HOTW2, although I think we may want to avoid replicating HOTW2) what tribes can we put it?

As far as I understand we have a South/West European tribe, an East Asian tribe, a Central Asian tribe, a South Asian tribe and (I stick by my Abyssinian/Ethiopian suggestion) a North/East African tribe. If we are going for seven this leaves us with two more spots, if we are going for eight it leaves us with three more spots.

Operating under our current roster I would have to say that Mongolia runs the risk of being landlocked, which isn't necessarily a bad thing its just something we should consider. The reason I say this is the fact that the Americas don't have tribes.

This creates a disadvantage to Mongolia in the sense that it will be harder for them to gain access to the New World. Some may say that its part of the game, and that could be seen as true; as the other powers compete for Naval superiority to settle the new continent/s Mongolia's military prowess could become that much stronger.

The other option is to use the two to three remaining spots and add tribes to the Americas. In the Ultimate diplogame we had three tribes there, I believe; Canada, Brazil and the United States. Granted this game went nowhere (mainly because the map was so gigantic it became ridiculous, contact didn't occur and the biggest problem was controlling disorder rather than what others were doing), but it isn't entirely unheared of for American tribes.

I don't know, just a bunch of food for thought.
                      ------------
                      Ming blows, I'll change this when I have some time on my hands.

Peace!

RIP Bradley James Nowell

Comment

I still think that 2 North Asian tribes is more do able than 2 African tribes. The trick is how to place the 2 north asian tribes is such a way they don't pinch any other particular player, Rome, India, or China.

Now if you were playing the Holy Roman Empire, I wouldn't feel so bad because you'd be able to compete in Eastern Europe better if there was a Russian player.

But Siberia on the default map is huge. Even if Ozzy's map is scaled down, its still more than a match for any of the other homelands because of CIV's game engine. Even if they are land locked they can still trade for resources, and as far as I can tell there's no strategic resources that exist solely in the new world.

Seeing how I'm slated to be the Mongolian/Siberian/Central Asian I don't have any problem with moving my starting point around because there are numerous excellent starting points just refering to the large world map anyway.

Edit: Something to consider when looking at the maps. I know you guys are probably playing SP too to get the mechanics down but I'll just share since I know I'm hopelessly addicted anyway.

As far as terrain goes, compared to Civ2, CIV treats dry terrain with no sources of fresh water much more harshly. In fact desert is now a completely useless terrain and cannot be irrigated and does not yeild resources unless its a special resource or a flood plain, in which case its a nice square. Even plains that can't reach fresh water will have trouble for a real long time until you can get civil service or biology so it can be irrigated.

On the other hand, forrested terrain is great in CIV. It does not take any food potental away from the square and adds production and health to the city. They can be chopped down for around 30 sheilds which is one of the favored starting strategies, and if you pick them wisely, they'll grow back evenually too.

Jungle does not take nearly as long to clear as it used to, although you need iron working to even try and attempt it, but the process is signifigantly faster than in Civ2.

Tundra is fairly useless unless it is directly next to fresh water, in which case it provides a good bit of food. Resources in the tundra areas usually prodive a nice boost to food and production as well.

Not to mention mountains are completely useless now.

So when you look at the Saraha, or a large bit of central asia, and the Himliyas....those areas will be pretty much uninhabitable. Deity won't be terraforming Australia into a pristine grassland either, because there's not terra forming terrain either.
                        Last edited by Frank Johnson; November 9, 2005, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Johnson
                          HOTW In 3D!

Yeah I remember the tartars, but I think their placement was a strech from the begining, they were a group on the caspian sea I thnik. But Siberia is a great spot. You have a very strong homeland, but are disadvantaged when it comes to getting to new world resources.

But hey I know I went to college for a reason. I've got this book with plenty of siberian tribe names Buryats, Evenks, Sakha,Tungus, it just goes on and on....

I'll Guess I'll be the Mongol. You know we can't have any newbs bordering diety now can we? ^_^
                          Hi ya Frank.. good to see you back for C4

This game is a great leveller for Civ2 players so I hope we can leave HOTW4 behind us!

Looking forward to being your neighbour - actually my most favourite Civ2MP game was when you and I whipped Makeo, Hydey and Nappy on your small Earth map. That was so cool
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

That sig is a classic ozzy
                            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Hello guys! I'm in!

I'll grab what tribe is left.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljube
                                Hello guys! I'm in!

I'll grab what tribe is left.

Even if we're not all here this weekend, those that can be should set up a test session to see how it all goes with connections etc.

What time USA Sat night?
                                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Working...
                                X