No announcement yet.

I am trying to bring back Diplogames...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am interested, not too fussy yet about potential civs (I have not got past 1500bc yet) as I do not yet know what best suits my style, I am only available after 12pm Aust CST summer time, deity can work out whether that timeframe suits the game, if so I am in, but will be absent in 2 weeks time (attending a wedding 450km away)

Comment

I think it will be great fun playing diplo while nobody has learned how to play the game yet

Don't have the game myself so I'll just watch this one from a distance. Keep us posted, be verbose, roleplay and all that

Comment

I'm around to test things out. I'll keep an eye on the screen but I'm dooing other stuff too (like cleaning the pool)

See the Aussie thread to see my connection issues.

[Trev will be here in 90 mins time]
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

I'd like to make sure my build is capable of working in MP so send me a message if we are going to run a test.

Comment

Hi Frank... testing is imperative, yes.

Are you still on icq? Can't see you.
            "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Hey, I was out of town for a few days (conference in California), but I'm glad to see the momentum still going.

Ok, so we've got Rome, India, China & Mongolia so far. I think due to the great territory in Europe (and the largeness of central asia) that a Russia player is essential.

So I think 6 players then (adding one in Russia and one in Africa) are important. Leaving one player alone in Africa could be quite dangerous though. Africa is fairly big and full of resources. Of course I could strip some of the resources from it for balance sake, but I like the idea of having two there if possible. (though I think Russia is more essential than a 2nd Africa civ).

I think Mali is a good idea too. Besides HOTW2, I don't think the Mali have ever been used in a game, so I don't think we have to be afraid of over using that civ. Plus the start for Ethiopia wouldn't be that great on this map, and Mali is one of the pre-packaged civs which means we wouldn't have to do any moding to make things look nicer. Everything would fit right away.

Personally I'd prefer to leave Australia and the Americas empty. Since we are still too new for good moding and balancing, I recommend we just leave them empty and don't place any AI or barbs there.

Ljube, you'd be awesome to have in the game. Capo I don't think has played a game with you yet, but you've got some great story telling skills. Between you, me and Capo this game has the potential to be a fantastic story. However getting Europe, USA and Australia in on one game is often difficult. So timing will be key for this.

Can everyone make a 5 hour session starting at 9:30 PM Eastern Standard Time (-5 GMT) on Saturday nights?

Ok, so lemme do another round up.

Deity - China "the Oriental Occupier"
              Frank - Mongolia "Genghis 'I'm finally starting next to Deity, no Great Wall is gonna keep out my Hordes' Khan"
              Ozzy - India "The Humourous Hindu Horiculturist"
              Capo - Rome "We came, we saw, we wrote stories about it"
              Ljube - Russia/Mali "Uhhh, Ozzy really needs to get to bed he's running out of funny"
              Trev - Russia/Mali "Leave me alone in Africa and you'll be sorry... er, I mean, don't worry, the game is balanced just fine."
              Deity Dude - Egypt/Arabs/Zulu/Ethiopian(?) "Am I still playing? I bet everyone is waiting patiently to hear from me."
              Last edited by OzzyKP; November 13, 2005, 17:01.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ok, I worked out people's time zones based on the time in your profiles. So how do these times work for everyone?

Ozzy, Capo & Deity Dude - 9.30 PM Saturday night
                Frank - 8.30 PM Saturday night
                Trev - 1 PM Sunday afternoon
                Deity - 1.30 PM Sunday afternoon
                Ljube & Vet Legion - 3.30 am Sunday morning

The session will run for approximately 5 hours after the above time.

Seems to be comfortable for Aussie & USA, but Ljube is screwed. Though I seem to remember him playing at this time in past Diplogames and it seemed to work for him. So hopefully he is flexible enough to make it happen again this time. The game should be worth it.
                Last edited by OzzyKP; November 14, 2005, 23:21.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Hey Ozzy. Trev, Deity and I enjoyed a test session yesterday.

How about that map? If you want to make a resource striped version just for referance for us, because my starting location is in question for balance sake and I just want to make sure we all get setup well. I made some assumptions using the larger default one that might be well bad ^_^;

I can make that time I believe. I will be working weekends part time, but I doubt I'll be there past 6 or 7, so an 8:30 start will work for me.

Otherwise everyone should brush up on their strategy on the other forum. I suggest that top thread they have stickeyed. Very helpful for starting input.

Comment

Get Deity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

From what I saw yesterday there's no particular reason to pick on deity. But I'm sure he'll be making his comeback.

Also, Civ4 automaticly does what we tried to do in serveral diplo games. Create barbarian native tribes. Any area that sits in the fog of war too long can turn into a barbarian city. I heard one time that by the time players got to the new world there were macemen waiting there for them, so players won't be expanding into vaccums very long. The barbs are to be taken seriously. I lost my 3rd city and first worker to them in just the test session.

Comment

3:30 AM is a bit problematic. Perhaps we can arrange a different start (say 2 hours earlier). That would be 1:30 AM here (and in Croatia), so doable.

And last time it was 5 AM so I had some 5-6 hours of sleep before the game (if I go to bed at 11 PM/midnight).

Comment

2 hours earlier would be much better for me in fact, but I'm thinking Frank couldn't because of work, and Trev said no earlier than noon on Sunday for him... hmm.

Too much later would be tougher for me, but I could probably give an hour or so. Starting an hour later would make it 4:30 am your time Ljube, only half an hour earlier than last time...

Ok, I've attached the map without resources (more or less). I had to change the extension to post it here, but just download it and change the file name to:

Ozzy's World No Resources.Civ4WorldBuilderSave

Yes, "Civ4WorldBuilderSave" is the full extension name.

Then you can either double click that file, or open up Civ and go to start scenario (provided you put it in the right directory) and play it that way.

Starting locations haven't been picked yet, so everyone has some flexibility on where exactly they start. If you have a request (within reason) I'll be happy to comply.

There are plenty of rivers and lakes in central asia, so farming/irrigation should be ok. I think the Urals could be a natural border between you and Russia, and then you and China would compete over the manchuria area, and then have access down toward Persia/Mid-east.

Take a look and let me know. I can tweak terrain a bit yet still.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I don't know how to change extentions since XP came out and decided we are all idiots trying to ruin our own computers -_- try .zip?

Comment

You just change the file name. Find the icon. Left click it once to highlight it. Wait a sec. Left click it again to change the name. Then erase ".sav" and type in (or paste) ".Civ4WorldBuilderSave"

Comment

My filenames dont include extentions. They are off on another collumn and can't be edited even from properties, although I can change the assoication but, civ4 doesnt notice.

Comment

Working...
                                X