X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina adopts lottery

North Carolina approves lottery by one vote
    Chicago Sun-Times, Aug 31, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina is set to become the final state on the East Coast to start a lottery after the lieutenant governor broke a Senate tie Tuesday, when two opponents were absent.

Supporters have been trying to legalize the game for more than 20 years.

Gov. Mike Easley is expected to sign the legislation creating the lottery, a cause he's championed since his election in 2001.

The lottery appeared all but defeated last week, when the Senate left Raleigh after backers failed to persuade any of the five Democrats and 21 Republicans who have opposed its creation for weeks to switch their vote.

On Tuesday, with two Republicans absent, Senate Democrats had the votes to pass the legislation creating a lottery.

An April vote in the House was nearly as close, with the lottery passing by just two votes.

The legislation will funnel net proceeds to public school construction, college scholarships and class-size reduction and preschool programs.

GOP lottery opponents argued it's an inefficient way to raise money and sends the message to children that gambling is the way to solve the state's financial problems.

"Is this a lesson we teach our children: 'Don't do your homework, don't work hard, you'll make it rich.'" Sen. Andrew Brock said.

AP

Copyright The Chicago Sun-Times, Inc.
    Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

I always thought my state would be the last state to adopt a lottery . This is one issuse I agree with Republicans on, a lottery is a regressive tax and an inefficant way to raise money.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

why are you against it? that's an awful lot of money that a state can use to increase funding of health and education
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
        why are you against it? that's an awful lot of money that a state can use to increase funding of health and education
        Because its a regressive tax, gambling adversting preys on the poor. Why not just create a direct tax, its much more profitable and everybody has to pay. Plus the middle and upper-income classes are the main beneficiaries of the lottery, but yet poor people pay for most of the lottery tax.
        Last edited by flash9286; November 4, 2005, 21:25.
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Lotteries = defacto tax on poor people = evil

Comment

Lotteries = defacto tax on stupid people = good
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Lotteries = a terrible way to raise revenue because it forces the state to ADVERTISE lotteries and convince people to be stupid.

Comment

lotteries are not a tax

IT IS VOLUNTARY!!! nobody is forcing anyone to buy a lottery ticket...

it raises money for education

I think it is a good idea for the state to do it.

As long as the morons fund it, why not do it?

but having said that, I would much rather have it so a lottery is not needed to raise revenue...

but if there is no other means to generate revenue, I don't see this as a bad thing...
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ethics Issue surfaces

Ethics is a known issue and our North Carolina Lottery is no exception
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

landmark- I agree with Sava

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

How can you says its not a tax, every dollar you bet on the lottery the state takes 35 cents out of it. Just like you pay tobacco taxes when you buy a cigar. Its still is voluntary to buy cigars just like a lottery ticket, but your still going to pay taxes on it.

Yeah I read about that Grandpa, its a shame.

Comment

Working...
                      X