Historiographic Essay help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historiographic Essay help?

K, i'm doing my first ever historiographic essay. My Teacher Assistant said she was going to help me but it looks like she forgot about me.

Can anyone tell me if this is a well constructed Thesis statement?

King Alfred rose to greatness in the eyes of his people because of his intentions for Anglo-Saxon England, and because of the circumstances that allowed him to become successful.
    If anyone decides to help, thanks!
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

cheating on your homework
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It seems meaningless. What kinds of intentions for Anglo-Saxon England? Which circumstances? Be more specific. That seems more like a tautology than a thesis.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
        It seems meaningless. What kinds of intentions for Anglo-Saxon England? Which circumstances? Be more specific. That seems more like a tautology than a thesis.
        hmm, so for it to be closer to a thesis, i need to name specifics? wouldn't that come later tho?

Comment

For it to be a thesis, there has to be some substance. There isn't any right now.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Yup.

Thesis:

King Alfred rose to greatness because he kicked arse on the field with his brute strength and in the politcal arena with his code of laws and stunning good looks.

Hence, the rest of my paper will go to prove why his arse kicking with brute strength made him great, as well as why his code of laws and good looks helped in the political arena.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

He rose to greatness in the eyes of his people because he propelled his nation towards their own unique identity, lead the nation with skill, and defended his people against the pillaging Danes.
              my new thesis.

its still being worked on tho

what ya think now Ramo? edit: and Japher?

Comment

better...

"skill" is still a little too general
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I wouldn't use nation for the early middle ages.
                  Blah

Comment

He rose to greatness in the eyes of his people because he propelled his nation towards their own unique identity, lead the nation with skill, and defended his people against the pillaging Danes.

It's still a bit goes-without-saying-like.

I mean, it'd be hard not to rise to greatness in the eyes of one's people given that particular resumé.

Comment

yeah Japher, thats exactly the part i'm trying to rephrase.

Comment

"unique identity" is nice because it can be expanded upon

"defended his people against the pillaging Danes." is good because it is too the point, and probably the source of everything else.

What did King Alfred do? He created a national identity by womping on his neighbors... like everyone else.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Why not? It fits.

Anyway, yeah, more specifics. What skill? How did he propel them to their unique identity (generally)?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Why not? It fits.
                            Primary identities were certainly not national (rather religious, local, etc.) back then. Rule was highly personalized, loyalty was rather towards the king as person, not towards "the nation" as abstract concept. You can make some arguments for it in cases like this when it comes to fighting invaders from outside, but IMO it smells too modern to be useful here.
                            Blah

Comment

edit

ok, heres what i got now. I think it works.

He propelled the people towards their own unique identity, led the population with ability in a time of opportune circumstance, and defended his people against the war weary pillaging Danes, and thus he is reflected upon as a great king.

Comment

Working...
                              X