does open borders come too soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does open borders come too soon?

I dislike the idea that I am prety much forced to allow open borders. This concept negates any need to go out and see the world in a pangea map.

If you want good relations and trade you need to accept the deal. Last night I popped a worker right away, then a scout and soon after another scout.

So it was not long before I knew the whole map or nearly all. The scouts made me think I had an advantage, until I thought about it some more.

I realized, that you will not find any far flung huts or it will be rare. You will soon be having open borders and could explore the map anyway, so what was gained?

The scouts end up being less valued than gold would have been.

The AI will soon all be paying me a visit and know the world, so I would be better off taking a free missionary and sending it all over to explore after open borders.

Even if you have no gaps to have them fill, it just seem to not make sense to let them get knowledge of your empire.

Trade should either not require open borders or it needs to come a lot latter.

I find scouting most useful, of course, to plan my city placements early. After that, the good use for them that I can see is to know what AIs are near other AIs as this will have a profound impact on how I handle diplomacy.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

As for open borders, it's kind of a no-brainer at least until the AI asks you break deals. Then seeing the map helps. I also find many AI won't share maps unless they love you.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Of course scout near your lands is a must, how else can you try to plana city placement?

So do you see open borders being tied to trade, so early in the game as less than optional?

Do you approve of AI having units in your lands so early in the game? Yeah I hear they will be booted, if they declare war. I say hear as the last time it occurred to me, they had two units still there and I killed them. I am not sure if they would have been move had I went on the end the turn or not. Why would I?

Comment

In a historical sense though, are open borders such as this realistic? I'm not really sure. I do think they come too early in the game myself.

Comment

I keep the AI civs out, and pin them in by judical blocking city placement. I always refuse them open borders until I have control of all the land I want. Then, and only then, when I have no reason to keep them out, do I agree to open borders, so my priests can convert their cities to my religons.

Comment

I love the peaks though. They really help me control my borders and defend my territory. Although I'm still a little iffy on impassible terrain, at least I can use it to my advantage.

Comment

Working...
              X