Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ4 hidden secrets (not cheats... secrets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 hidden secrets (not cheats... secrets)

I don't mean how to cheat but what all the little icons and stars and such mean in the game.

For example I just found out that the little star next to the religious icon for a city designates that city as your Holy City for that particular religion.

Things like this can help people from dragging their GP all over the map to find the city and build a shrine.

Some other helpful tips:
    - A beaker, hammer, etc. on the left of the row of city icons indicate that the city is the top research, manufacturing, etc. in your empire.

- Stars: a star on the left indicates the presence of a center-of-empire effect: Versailles or Forbidden Palace. A star around the population figure is your capital.

- Stars: a star on a religious icon indicates the Holy City for that religion.

- Tiles: Smoke and flame will rise from forges at your mines, or a shed will show up, on tiles being worked by a city. These are not the same as cottages.

- The population circle indicates growth:
    • Green dots = growing cities
    • Gray dots = stagnant (or very slow growth) cities
    • Red dots = starving cities

- The percentage is the cultural defense bonus applied to units defending the city.

- You can zoom in and see the wonders and improvements you've already built in the city. Which will come in handy once you can recognize them by sight... for each civ with different architectural styles.

- Using the '/' key will allow you to scroll through your active Workers.

- When in the domestic advisor screen, if you select a city, the production queue will be shown in the bottom half of the screen. You can manipulate the production queue directly from here. You will also have access to the governor options.

- Your city must be working the tile a cottage is on for it to grow into a hamlet, etc.

- If you are the first to sail around the world you receive an extra movement point for all of your ships.

- There's a strategy layer you can access by zooming out a certain distance. This lets you draw lines and make signs on the map for strategic purposes. You must zoom out until the icons above the minimap change and then click on the "Turn On Stratagy Layer" icon.

- With a unit selected, hold ALT and hover over an enemy unit. The odds and a breakdown of bonuses is displayed.

- Submarines can travel UNDER ice tiles.

- Airlift: You can airlift workers and artillery pieces.
    • The units that are airlifted must start their turn in the city. If they move to the city, they cannot airlift until the next turn.
    • They can only airlift to another city (which doesn't have to have an airport).
    • Only one unit can airlift into a city per turn.

- At the top of the flag for each unit or stack, there will be one or more small circles. The color of these circles represents the movement status:
    • Red=out of move points
    • Green=full movement
    • Yellow=some movement used but still has points remaining
    • White=fortified.

- The number of circles at the top of the flag for each unit or stack is the same as the number of units in the stack, up to about 9 total.

- A hydroelectric plant seems to be buildable if a city has a river anywhere within its city radius, but the Three Gorges Dam only seems to be buildable if the city is directly on the river.

- If you have "Score Display" on you will notice everyone's score in the lower right-hand corner of the display. If you hover over your name a pop-up will tell you how your score is being calculated.

- If you chop down a forest within someone else's borders with whom you have an open borders treaty, you will not get the hammers (it is yet to be discovered if they get the hammers or they simply are not awarded)

- If you are at war with some civ together with another civ, you can ask your "ally" to coordinate attacks against a specific city by choosing an option "Let's talk about something else" and then choosing joint attack.

- In the diplomatic advisor screen, you can left click on a portrait of another ruler to see what is his attitude towards other rulers. If you then mouse over other ruler's portraits, you will have a complete break-down of why they like or dislike him - which can be useful if you want to manipulate them into, either, signing a peace or going for war.

- When trading techs, the AI will normally not agree to trade any tech which allows it to build a wonder, until such wonder is built.

- When trading resources, a number in brackets on your side of the screen shows a total number of resources you own, including the one you are using. This means that if you have only (1) resource and you trade it away, you won't be able to use it. On the other hand, the number of the AI side always means extra resources.

- Discovering a technology obsoleting a wonder or a building has effect only on your civilization, not other civilizations. So if you discover Calendar, your opponent who built Stonehenge still can use it until he gets Calendar as well.

- Hold down both the right and left mouse buttons to grab and drag the map.

- Rivers provide a trade connection to the sea allowing inland cities to have trade connections with distant lands, no coastal city required. Trade routes can be quite convulted. An ocean-going boat from "Coastal CityA" to "Coastal City B", then a caravan along the road, to a river, where a boat then sails down the river and across the lake to "Landlocked City C".

- If a captured base has an acadamy, the acadamy will give 4 culture a turn, thus a captured base with an acadamy can focus on stuff other than building a theatre or whatever. (this might be a bug since no other captured buildings give culture so don't depend on it after a patch)

Anyone else figure anything out? Remember, not in the manual but helpfull (or an easter egg, if you like ).

Tom P.
    Last edited by padillah; November 17, 2005, 09:21.

If by "secret" you mean, "in the manual", then there's TONS of stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by duodecimal
      If by "secret" you mean, "in the manual", then there's TONS of stuff!
      OK, how's about trivia? I know there's going to be a bunch of it.

Tom P.
      (That's in the manual? Really? Crap, I read the manual and don't remember it.)

P.S. Is there a way to delete a thread? How about if it makes you look stupid?

Comment

It does not make you look stupid, only excited.

Comment

Aye, we should keep the thread. Get an avatar, so we can put captions under it:

[Padillah's Avatar]
          "Your capital uses a star instead of a circle around the population count! No more cycling through city views to find the one with the Palace built in it. What a time saver!"

But more seriously, here's a quick rundown off the top of my head:

- A beaker, hammer, etc. on the left of the row of city icons indicate that the city is the top research, manufacturing, etc. in your empire.

- Stars: a star on the left indicates the presence of a center-of-empire effect: Versailles or Forbidden Palace. As mentioned above, a star around the population figure is your capital.

- Stars: a star on a religious icon indicates the Holy City for that religion

- Tiles: Smoke and flame will rise from forges at your mines, or a shed will show up, on tiles being worked by a city. I confused these for cottages early on.

Comment

OK, here's one. In this thread ( http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=141831 )

There's a screenshot showing several cities, some with green dots and some with gray dots. What's the difference?

Tom P.
            (and thanks for not handing me my head)

Comment

Green dots = growing cities
              Gray dots = stagnant (or very slow growth) cities
              Red dots = starving cities

Comment

Ah, a few other things that screenie reminds me:

The percentage is the cultural defense bonus applied to units defending the city.

Also, you can zoom in and see the wonders and improvements you've already built in the city. Which will come in handy once you can recognize them by sight... for each civ with different architectural styles.

Comment

Here's half of one...

When in the domestic advisor screen, if you select a city, the production queue will be shown in the bottom half of the screen. I believe you can manipulate the production queue directly from here. You will also have access to the governor options.

What I'd like to know, however, is the other half. Is there a way to "zoom to" the city if I wanted to check health/happiness, or set the workers?

Comment

If your city is working an unimproved tile, there will be a tiny shed on the map. If you've built another improvement, it would show up, but you can see if the improvement is working (the smoke coming from the mine's smelter he mentioned.) If it's a farm or cottage, you can zoom way in and the lights will be on in inhabited buildings. Farms and cottages that aren't worked will be dark.

By the way, your city must be working a tile with a cottage on it for it to grow into a hamlet, etc. I was confused when I first started building them and got the mouseover message "Cottage must work to grow." "Is my cottage broken? Do I need to build a road to it or something?"

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew1999
                      By the way, your city must be working a tile with a cottage on it for it to grow into a hamlet, etc.
                      VERY good point. I had missed this. I got the message but had no idea what they ment. It was phrased very poorly "Your city must work for the cottage to grow."

OK, it's working go ahead, grow. I didn't understand it meant your city must work the cottage tile for the cottage to grow.

Tom P.

Comment

on the Religion screen, what does the "Influence" number under each religion mean?

I assume that it is the % of influence in the entire world each religion has (since I know it's not the % influence each religion has in my empire since in one game Budhist has 54% and none of my cities has Budhist religion)...

Comment

In order to discover a resource, you need to be working the tile.

In other words, just mining a hill in order to get a magic source of iron won't cut it. So mining hills all over the map is a waste of time.

However, just can chop forest anywhere and get the hammers from itt ( though less than when in your borders). Good for stealing some hammers from newly founded AI cities though.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                            In order to discover a resource, you need to be working the tile.

In other words, just mining a hill in order to get a magic source of iron won't cut it. So mining hills all over the map is a waste of time.
                            Damn... I've been doing that for months now. I wish you told me earlier!

DeepO

Comment

Uh, I mined a tile that was not within any city radius, and a source of gems popped up on that tile. I can't document it, as it was in an MP game, but I can remember it happening.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X