No announcement yet.

Error 1706? anyone else get this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I do want it applied. I have run the game and it appears ok, but everyone I have read about who had the same error so far has had frequent crashes along with it.

I suppose I can re-apply the patch if I get these problems.

Comment

I have been dealing with this error for some times, and after multiple reinstalls and various methods of patching, I still can't get the error to go away. The graphics are often skewed, and neither the leaderheads, nor any of the short animations -- wonders, religion, etc. -- are showing up. Anyone have any success fixing this? Yes, the error didn't happen until the patch pretty much finished, but I'm tempted to just lose my savegames and go back to v. 1.00

EDIT: So, against my better judgement, I tried playing some more. Now, along with blank diplomacy screens and the screen going crazy, it will randomly drop letters or words. City names will occasionally disappear, as will units. When I go to the main menu, about every other letter is missing -- so the first line read 's ng e a er'.
      Last edited by Ouro_827; March 21, 2006, 21:09.

Comment

It appears that this problem has something to do with a bad entry in the registry. Petek has posted a fix somewhere here, but I am too lazy to go look it up.

Originally posted by Ouro_827
        EDIT: So, against my better judgement, I tried playing some more. Now, along with blank diplomacy screens and the screen going crazy, it will randomly drop letters or words. City names will occasionally disappear, as will units. When I go to the main menu, about every other letter is missing -- so the first line read 's ng e a er'.
        That appear to be a totally unrelated problem.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Thank you *Chuckles* Actually, you already posted it. The thing is, I don't need the fix. The problem there, as I understood it, was with patch 1.09, someone didn't have the right registry key. My registry already had the key, the difference being my version number wasn't 1.00 anymore. And I guess all my errors could be from something else.... just I didn't encounter them until I patched. I'm running SP1 on a Radeon 9700. Right now, I'm taking a look at the renderer fix though, since my problems have been graphically related. And I'm not touching SP2 *Shudders* Horrible, ugly thing.

EDIT: Surprise! It seems unpacking the assets file fixed my problems. Leaderheads work, text is no longer disappearing.. my savegames look like they're shot -- stuff is still messed up with them, but all new games work fine. Thanks all!
          Last edited by Ouro_827; March 23, 2006, 17:25.

Comment

Working...
          X