Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Civilization 4: Maps Guide

Hey Hey to Poly natives.

If you are interested in understanding what to expect from each of Civ3's official map scripts, or you are curious about what those custom map options will do, I have your solution. Download my Map Guide, attached to this post. A text file provides all the information. An image will show you actual in-game samples from each map, one to six images per script.

Also, here's a hot tip: Ice Age is my best map script. It may not be everybody's favorite, but it's got a unique flavor that turned out better than expected and nothing else plays quite like it. Probably better to start on something more standard (Continents, for instance) but I hope you will give Ice Age a try!

Terra is another of my favorites. I gave that script more TLC than any other, tweaking it over and over until the effects were "almost like the real thing". That was the idea, of course: an Earth-like map, yet randomly generated with significant variance in the details of the islands and continents.

Highlands is another favorite. This one is probably the toughest map (on average) to beat in Civ4. Anybody complaining about "cramped" maps should try a Large or Huge game of Highlands with fewer than the default number of civs. Go ahead, TRY to ICS your way through that. I double double dare you.

Happy civving!

- Sirian

Read the article Civilization 4: Maps Guide here.
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; August 11, 2012, 22:33.

Well, I thought it would attach. Dan Q asked me to attach it to a forum post until they could arrange a more permanent home for it, but it may be too large.

Sorry about that!

It will be available here at Poly soon, though.

- Sirian

Comment

I put it here: sirian_mapscripts.zip
      Last edited by Martin Gühmann; August 11, 2012, 22:17.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Thank you. But shouldn't some of this information appear as mouseover text or whatever during the screens when you set up your game?

Comment

For those who don't want to download anything:

Civilization 4: Maps Guide

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; August 11, 2012, 22:25.

Comment

Uhm, the link in the article points to the bit about 'Leaders', not to the map write-up.

Comment

Re: Sirian's Map Info Reference

Originally posted by Sirian
                If you are interested in understanding what to expect from each of Civ3's official map scripts, or you are curious about what those custom map options will do, I have your solution.
                You're always behind the times Sirian...

Comment

CivIII.

Good guide, though.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Thank you, that is very helpful! Now to try messing with some map settings
                    Jacob's Law "To err is human: to blame it on someone else is even more human."

Comment

This is great. Pure genius by Firaxis to offer so many different variations, I want to try them all and i'm sure all of them offer different challenges and styles of play. For those who think navy has a to small effect on the game there's the island maps and so forth, each variation demands new strategic thinking. Adding features for longevity and caring about the fans.
                      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Terra is very interesting:

The new world is arranged similarly to North/South America:

Even so far as to replicate a possible Panama Canal setup:

As for the Old World, did you intend to set up a central bottleneck to simulate the Middle East?

Last edited by duodecimal; November 2, 2005, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by sanska
                          Uhm, the link in the article points to the bit about 'Leaders', not to the map write-up.

Fixed.

-------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS
                          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by duodecimal
                            Terra is very interesting:
                            The new world is arranged similarly to North/South America:
                            Even so far as to replicate a possible Panama Canal setup:
                            As for the Old World, did you intend to set up a central bottleneck to simulate the Middle East?
                            I've been finding Terra to be great fun! From the maps you posted I can see that there is a lot of variation allowed in the script. While my new world also has a potential Panama canal there is no central 'Middle East' bottle neck. Also, the Barbarians have set up quite a little epire of their own on the New World! Several well improved cities linked by roads, some as large as 7 or 8!

I'm looking forward to trying some of the other map scripts!

Comment

Terra next.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X