X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You gotta be kidding me

My tech tree is in french.
    My discs are mis-labeled.
    The game won't play on my brand new and quite expensive machine I bought specifically for playing Civ 4.

This is not cool.

Join the club!

we have a secret handshake

its kind of like

By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Is it a graphics card problem?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yup. I've got an ATI card and I'm getting the "rendering" bug. I would strongly advise against buying this game until the second patch is released. The odds of it working are just so low.

Comment

In French? lmao.. what is going on here...

Comment

Originally posted by ktbutts
            Yup. I've got an ATI card and I'm getting the "rendering" bug. I would strongly advise against buying this game until the second patch is released. The odds of it working are just so low.
            Just because it doesn't work for you the odds of it not working are very low? Sure, there are some people who have problems but there's never been a single game that didn't cause compatility problems for some people. There are also dozens of people who reported not having any problems at all on Apolyton alone (and people are much more likely to register and post if they have problems, so they only represent a tiny portion of all the people for whom the game works fine).

For the French tree: http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/techtree_support.htm
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Locutus,

Deductive reasoning would sound great if it weren't the first day the damn game came out...

look how many people ahve posted to the v1.0 bug reports already.

It's a joke...

NOBODY should buy this game until these seemingly common issues are resolved...or if they do, realize there's a great chance it won't work properly.

NOte: I cancled my scandalous online order to get the 'special' edition, and instead got the game 5 days earlier AND with a tech tree like the 'special' edition was supposed to have...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeasdf
                look how many people ahve posted to the v1.0 bug reports already.
                Only about 2 dozen (not counting the people that aren't actually reporting bugs). And that on a site with 70k members and for a game that's at #1 in pretty much all sales charts. I've seen much, much, much worse for some other games, believe me (Civ3 being one of them).

And the number of problems being reported is very small, it's just the same problems over and over again: failed renderer, graphics glitches, French tree (hardly a serious issue), a few other things. The total number of (identifiably) different bugs reported so far is surprsingly low, really. I expected worse.

NOBODY should buy this game until these seemingly common issues are resolved...or if they do, realize there's a great chance it won't work properly.
                Why? So there are a few people reporting problems. Yes, that very unfortunate for them, but Firaxis is working day and night to fix them and for every person with problems there are probably over a 1000 without any. They're just not reporting it because they don't have anything to report. Just look at the raving reviews it's getting from fans and reviewers alike, on Apolyton, CFC, Gamespot, IGN, etc... None of those people are having trouble.

a tech tree like the 'special' edition was supposed to have...
                The regular edition was always going to have a tech tree. Has there ever been a Civ game without one?

Comment

Locutus, you have one small logical problem. There's a lot of Apolyton regulars who are also having issues. And both those with and without issues are taking time to drop by and post.

Now, the question is how... how many Apolyton regs that have the game haven't dropped by?

Frankly, I'm irked about my issue (bad CD). But I know that happens time to time. It just hasn't happened to me in several years. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be telling everyone "Stay away until Patch 1/2/3/N". Why? Haven't gotten that far yet to see if there are any show stoppers.

I have to admit, I'm very surprised at all the (seemingly) ATI issues. I wonder what is so different between all those with problem versus all those beta testers and the QA labs. But hey, some display issues are always expected in this sort of game technology.
                  -Darkstar
                  (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

I buy a heck of a lot of games, and this is the first one I've bought in years with such a wide-ranging catastrophic load-up bug. It's really NOT expected in game technology, not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                      Locutus, you have one small logical problem. There's a lot of Apolyton regulars who are also having issues.
                      Not really. As I said, only 2 dozen people reported in the 1.0 bugs thread, many of them Settlers. The number of regulars in addition to that who reported problems in this forum can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand, it's almost all newbies or lurkers.

In contrast to that, we know at least the 150ish playtesters that worked with Firaxis are not having any problems, none of them reported game-breaking issues and the few issues that were reported in the private forums so far are really minor stuff that the public community hasn't even picked up on yet. And those testers are a big part of the regular 'Poly community too.

Now, the question is how... how many Apolyton regs that have the game haven't dropped by?
                      A very large number of them. We have about 700 people who normally visit the site at least once a week. Many of them haven't bough the game yet, of course (some of them probably won't anytime soon), but if you want to claim 'many' regulars are having problems we'd have to be talking in the range of several dozen at least.

Comment

Sigh. The usual response to bugs; "It's just you. No, it's just a few people. Look the other way, nothing to see here, no problem at all. We're working on it, yeah, that's it."

Comment

Locutus ... your main problem is expecting people to be logical, to not be upset that they are in the small pool of people having issues with the game they bought first day... anyone who's a first day adopter (excepting those with just too much cash, and i care not about them) is going to be a fanatic and thus extremely, illogically upset about minor problems, and to claim they're far worse and more widespread than they are

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by RickJay
                            Sigh. The usual response to bugs; "It's just you. No, it's just a few people. Look the other way, nothing to see here, no problem at all. We're working on it, yeah, that's it."
                            That was never said. It is understood you and others have bugs. And of course the problems are being worked on. And here: My game works fine. I have already lost miserably on Noble. In 5 hours 17 minutes no less.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Locutus ... your main problem is expecting people to be logical, to not be upset that they are in the small pool of people having issues with the game they bought first day... anyone who's a first day adopter (excepting those with just too much cash, and i care not about them) is going to be a fanatic and thus extremely, illogically upset about minor problems, and to claim they're far worse and more widespread than they are

Just trying to offer an alternative perspective People are screaming like it's the end of the world. If that sort of stuff goes unanswered it tends to go from bad to worse and people might actually start believing it

Comment

Working...
                              X