Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright, let's post the exact behavior of the render problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, let's post the exact behavior of the render problem.

I think we should all just post a very detailed report of exactly WHAT happens.

I've had 2 instances:

Upon starting the game, the progress window pops up. When it gets to Initializing Engine, I instantly get a "Unable to render" message.

The other one is a bit longer
    I get to the same step as my other report, but I can actually see my desktop switch resolutions and see the game cursor in the middle of my screen. The screen stays black, however, and after 2-3 seconds it returns to my desktop.

BT, system specs

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    1gig ram Dual channel
    Genuine ATi Radeon X800XL 256mb

ditto
    edit:the behavior, not the system config, though
    Radeon 9600 XT 256MB, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, WinXP SP2, 2.4GHz P4, latest Catalysts, Civ4 DX9

Comment

Same two situations. Radeon 9550, here.
      Last edited by Salatir; October 26, 2005, 20:43.

Comment

Thanks guys. This is actually important as it helps to narrow down the problem.

I used to work in QA (thank god I'm a designer now!) so I'm fairly used to bug reports.

Please also post which video card you have.. It seems to be mostly related to AIW cards and X800XL cards..

Comment

I've got the ATI Radeon 9550 card and have the same problems.

Comment

Yeah, same two, though before the first one the screen always switches resolution and goes black.

Comment

Originally posted by timekillr
              Please also post which video card you have.. It seems to be mostly related to AIW cards and X800XL cards..
              I've seen a few of my card, the Raedon 9600 around here.

I run civ, and I get the loading splash. The cursor changes to some odd wheel thing, and my reso,ution changes and goes black. The wheel spins. The resolution changes again, shows part of my desktop in the lower resolution, and then changes again (third time), goes black, and then finally changes back and spits back the rendering error.

That's 3 attempts. Can't say it's not trying
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Same exact thing.

X800XL

Comment

I get a load screen with a progress bar reading off things like "Check XML" and "Init Python". The final message says "InitEngine" and then my monitor starts to change resolutions several times. I'll flash between my desktop and a loading cursor that looks like a golden propeller on a black screen. After several seconds of this I get the "Render" error.

Comment

Alright..

So far, the following cards seem to be affected:

X800XL
                    Most AIW cards
                    9550s
                    9600s

Icarus, what type is your 9600? Standard, Pro or XT?

**EDIT**
                    Thanks Icarus.

BTW, I tried a solution I found on another board; run the game in Win2k compat mode. Doesn't work.
                    Last edited by timekillr; October 26, 2005, 20:51.

Comment

Standard, sorry.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
                        1G DDR Ram
                        Genuine Radeon 9800 Pro 128M

only 1st instance happen to me.

Comment

My problem is different from what you all are experiencing. My game starts up fine, no errors. However, when it gets to the opening FMVs, I hear the audio, but all I see is a blue screen. Then I get to the main menu and all I see is this. No menu buttons, no text, nothing. I have to task out and close it.

ATI X800XL here.

Comment

I get the changing resolutions bit with the game cursor in the middle of the screen.

ATI Radeon Mobility 9800

Started off with the latest drivers from dell, tried the latest catalyst drivers from ATI, and now am sitting with the latest Omega drivers. Exact same behavior in all cases.

Comment

I have a Radeon x700 pro. After the Loading screen, I get the progress bar screen, which gets about 70% of the way, but pauses at initializing the "Engine" and then posts the error message.

Ad

Comment

Working...
                              X