Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    I wouldn't know, I don't have a copy of the retail version. It's my understanding that the setup program asks you about installing DX, and you need to do that.
    Thanks Solver for the input. I actually checked my DX files in dxdiag, and like 12 of them have today's timestamp on them, so they did indeed update.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinjiru
      If you already have DirectX 9.0c installed, then AFAICT, the DX installer on the Civ CD does nothing. At least it certainly did not appear to actually select and install anything on any of the four installs I have done today (over 2 machines).

I also cannot tell how to uninstall DirectX from my system (thinking that wiping it out and then manually installing from the Civ CD would work). Any enlightenment on that score?
      Go into dxdiag, click the "DirectX Files" tab. Scroll thru the filenames and peruse the timestamps. There should be about 9 files with today's date on them. I didn't think it installed anything either, but it does.

Comment

Did it help you Traelin?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Right you are Traelin.

I just did another attempt at following Trips instructions will no better luck.

As much as this sucks for us players, this kind of situation is incredibly frustrating for the Firaxis team as well. They are proud of their work and want people to enjoy the game, and when a technical issue arises that is hard to pin down, is just.... so.... damn.... frustrating (speaking from experience here).

So let's all remember that our boys are trying to figure this out and will give us whatever help they can.

Comment

I have also done everything suggested here - completely uninstalled my old drivers. Rebooted, went through a scare. Installed Catalyst 5.10, rebooted. Installed DirectX included with Civ4 (though it did that during the initial install). Tried to play. Same error.

I'm using a Radeon 9550.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
              Did it help you Traelin?
              I haven't attempted to uninstall and reinstall my drivers yet, but DX is indeed updated. Quite frankly I'm too paranoid to change the drivers, because (admittedly) I know enough about graphics cards to get me by, but not enough to feel comfortable to make the changes (yet). I'm worried I'll jack up Doom, Pirates, WoW, and hrm yes even the ability to watch my Redskins games.

I'm just gonna try and give ya'll input when I can, and wait and see if a tried-and-true fix comes about. Thanks for your assistance though, it is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I've deleted all the ATI drivers and attempted to install the Windows Catalyst Driver – 5.10. It gives me some nonsense about not having a VGA driver installed and exits. I ran the cat-uninstaller utility previous to attempting this which seemed to remove all traces of the old drivers/software.

I ran the DirectX installer as part of the install and again independently (from the install CD.)

I flashed the VBIOS and updated the drivers with the most recent versions from the Dell site.

Radeon 9800, 256MB on a Dell XPS 1GB RAM.

I'm totally frustrated. Any help?

Comment

Here is an interesting problem.

I've run the DX9 installer on the Civ4 disk three times now but I still do not have any files with today's timestamp. Yes, my clock is correct.

I ran the installer on my laptop, and it DID pick up the new DX9 files. (It won't run Civ4 for other reasons, but the DX installer worked.)

How do I fix this??

Comment

Has the steps provided in the first post worked for anyone? I've tried and tried, and it does not work. I have the Radeon 9550.

Comment

Is anyone besides RickJay missing files?

Those who are still having problems please look in C:\windows\SYSTEM32 and see if "D3DX9_26.DLL" is there.

Comment

maybe try omegadrivers?

those 3rd party drivers may help in some cases.
                        There have been no new posts in the last 1396 days to your subscribed threads.

Comment

As mentioned in another thread, it is there. If you'd like, I'd be happy to post a dxdiag here.

Comment

Trip, that file - D3DX9_26.DLL - is indeed there. What does that mean?

Any ideas how I can resolve this issue?

Comment

Have you rebooted? If you have that file and reboot, the game should work.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Radeon 9600 here. I've run the ATI's driver uninstall, installed the new Cat drivers, and still getting the same "Rendering" error. And, yes, I have the d3dx9_26.dll in my c:/windows/system32 folder.

Comment

Working...
                                X