Country
    This is Sovereign's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    11:08
    Guys, I may need some help.

I tried to remove the ATI driver with the ATI uninstaller thing from the website. That was a success.

Then I restarted. After the restart, my screen went to a 640 x 480 resolution instead of my 800 x 600 resolution. I reverted my screen to my original setting. Success.

Then I tried installing the new Catalyst 5.10 driver that this thread was talking about. However, this is where I ecounter the problem. The installation process starts up just fine, then when the actual installation process starts, it says "New Hardware Found" and says Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

The installation process aborts because it can't find video controller or the VGA thing. What do I do?

Also, for some reason, my computer is a lot more sluggish now. Even websites like this one and scrolling down the website is very sluggish. Why is this?

I hope I didn't destroy my computer. My computer is a laptop with an Mobility Radeon 9000, 3 GHZ Intel Pentium 4 processor, and 1 GB RAM.
    Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Chernobyl2
    Settler
    Country
    This is Chernobyl2's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    16:08
    Well, here's my horror story.
    Specs:
    Athlon 2800+, Abit KT7-MAX2, 1 GB ram, Chaintech GF4 4200 Ti, SB Live! Gamer, DX 9c installed fron the game. XP pro SP1 (all of which more than meets the minimum specs for the game)

first time I got it running with little - no problem, except for the video files. All of the video playback have a stuttering sound problem - the splash screens, the intro movie (Go Leonard!) and all of the various wonder movies. I played through the tutorial all the way (thanks Sid!) with a little annoying bit, slow response time. I turned the graphics all the way down and started it up again. Played only marginally better.
    after about an hour or so of gameplay, it crashed hard. I mean BSOD hard - the bluescreen of death was telling me to check my video drivers, which weren't the most recent, so I downloaded the newest ones from Nvidia's website (81.85 I think) and got it up and running again.
    this time i was able to play for a couple hours before it crashed on me. not to a BSOD, just boom, you're not playing anymore and here's your nice desktop.

Today when I started it up I got to play for an hour before it crashed again as before, but now it won't go back into the game (gives me the infamous render error) without a complete system re-boot.

and for a nice bonus, when I go into display properties after the most recent crash?
    my "settings" tab appears to think that I'm running at 640x480 resolution with 4 bit color!!!!!

Firaxis, I appreciate the civ franchise - I've been playing for ever like most people here and love the games in general, but you should NEVER fall to the pressures of the Publisher and put out a product as buggy as this one appears to be.
    I patiently await a patch. Thanks.

Chern

Targonis
    Warlord
    Country
    This is Targonis's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    12:08
    Check how much free hard drive space you have once the game is installed. If you run too low and Windows tries to use more than you have available, it can cause all sorts of problems with crashing.

Chernobyl2
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    4GB. Civ is installed on drive D, my HD is partitioned into 4 blocks.

Chern2

Falconne
    Settler
    Country
    This is Falconne's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 25, 2014
    Local Time
    04:08
    Originally posted by Sovereign
    Then I tried installing the new Catalyst 5.10 driver that this thread was talking about. However, this is where I ecounter the problem. The installation process starts up just fine, then when the actual installation process starts, it says "New Hardware Found" and says Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

The installation process aborts because it can't find video controller or the VGA thing. What do I do?
    Was there an error message that suggested it aborted "because it can't find video controller or the VGA thing"?

So during the installation process, the "New Hardware Found" dialog came up; did you also get the "Windows is installing the software for your new hardware" dialog with the copy animation? and did that finish and return to the Catalyst installer?

Targonis
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Chern, you need to upgrade to SP2 since it includes many fixes and also has a few changes. Do you have the .NET framework 1.1 installed with the updates for it as well?

For everyone that doesn't know, it's impossible for a company to properly test on systems that havn't had their MS Windows updated to include the latest patches. For Windows XP, that means Service Pack 2, and the .NET framework 1.1 stuff is required for ATI Catalyst drivers with the Catalyst Control Center.

Since it seems that ATI users have this problem, making sure that your copy of Windows is up to date is critical. To verify, in Internet Explorer, go to: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Follow the instructions and have it check for updates. Go with custom to see the list of updates and make sure you pick everything except the hardware updates. The hardware updates CAN in some cases cause Windows to have critical problems so I don't suggest you install them.

After you do a set of updates, make sure to reboot if it tells you to, then go back to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and check again, and again, until there are no more updates. It's a complaint of mine that Microsoft doesn't replace versions of it's fixes that have bugs, so you have to install the first fix, then the fix for the fix, then the fix for the fix of the fix. But, eventually you will get them all installed, and that MAY help. Keep in mind that if you don't reboot when it tells you to, it may not have finished installing a patch, so the next update you try to install may fail.

Chernobyl2
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I don't use .net at all, and I've been dreading the update to SP2, there was so much bad press about it when it came out...I suppose now I have no choice.
    My video card isn't ATI though, its Nvidia.

Chern

Chernobyl2
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    updated to SP2. took about 3 reboots.
    movies still stuttered on intro. don't have time to check gameplay tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Chern

stendec
    Settler
    Country
    This is stendec's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time

9.0b to 9.0c

i have a problem when installing 9.0c, from the civ4 dvd (and from the microsoft)

when i try to install 9.0c, it accept and stuf, then instead of installing it (it waits a few sec, without progres bar progression) goes direct to installed window ( finished one )
    then when i check version in dxdiag it still it 9.0b
    even after restarting

i have started bouth installations a hundred times, and still the dxdiag tells me that i have 9.0b version (4.09.0000.0903)

the 9.0c on the civ4 cd places d3dx9_26.dll into c:\windows\system 32\

i have try with d3dx9_27.dll too, still getting "Failed to Initialize Renderer ..."

how can I "delete" 9.0b and install for sure 9.0c?

here's my dxdiag info

help pls, thanx
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stendec; November 3, 2005 at 05:50.

Targonis
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    .NET framework is being used for applications now, so while I HATE that stuff too, it's required for the Catalyst Control Center and a few other things. As a result, even if you arn't running an ATI card, it's a good idea to install the piece of junk with the 4 patches that have come out for 1.1.

On the dx9 install, I would suggest checking what applications you have running. Antivirus software or other software designed to prevent spyware or registry changes could be blocking the install. Check the services(under administrative tools in control panel), and turn off the ones that arn't needed. Just some ideas here.

stendec
    Settler
    Country
    This is stendec's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    hm, I have reinstalled Windows XP sp2 today, so all of the settings of CP/administrative tools/services are default, i have no AV on pc installed
    i find myself not that advanced in pc use to change any of settings in services... did u mean on any particular?

Targonis
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    The key is to isolate potential sources of problems. You can choose to simply stop a service in most cases if you want to turn it off for a while, then start it again or restart Windows to turn everything back on.

Things like antivirus protection, spyware blockers, and other services. If you see Symantec or Norton next to a name, that's a Norton Antivirus service for example.

If you don't have wireless, you don't need the wireless zero configuration service. You don't need remote registry for this either. The remote connection manager is used by the Windows firewall so you need to leave that on.

RPC is needed by all sorts of things within Windows XP(unfortunately), so you need to keep it on. RPC is why the blaster worm was forcing Windows to restart all the time if any of you remember that one.

If you have an IPOD, you can turn off the service for that while trying to get things working.

DHCP is how IP addresses are automatically assigned by your ISP or broadband router, so you need to leave that on.

Some services are a part of a spyware/adware infection, so they can cause problems. Spyware is a topic of another post/thread so if you need advice, let me know.

Alfonso
    Country
    This is Alfonso's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    17:08
    Originally posted by Trip
    Yes, that appears to be correct.
    Hi Trip,

I cannot more, I am becoming crazy...

I have proven it everything more than thousand times and it does not go to me. There is something can do before leaving the patch?

When we will have the patch?

I cannot wait for more.
    El futuro pertenece a quienes creen en la belleza de sus sueños.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Chernobyl2
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Gameplay didn't change appreciably. still stuttered on the movies, intros, etc.
    slow responding graphics, and the tile improvement disappearing act happened about 4 times. (every other turn!) played maybe 8 turns of a previous game.
    Still - mine isn't as bad as some people. I never had the problem with the leaders getting all rendered wrong.

Chern

vivo
    Settler
    Country
    This is vivo's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time

deinstall + new install worked for me

Having installed the ATI 5.1 drivers with no results I finally deinstalled CIV 4 completely and installed it anew. It works!

At least I do not get the "Failed to Initialize Renderer" message. But I still get a blue screen at least every hour or so. And when I say Blue Screen, I mean it, there is not the usual unintelligible yada yada, the screen is absolutely blue. I think I wait at least two patches until I try CIV 4 again in earnest.

74Stag
    Settler
    Country
    This is 74Stag's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I am also having the "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Problem. I have tried all the suggestions including the Pak file and using old and latest drivers but still no joy.

My card is not an ATI however, I have a Geforce3. I can't seem to find much info about this problem with regards to Nvidia cards.

Am I the only person having this problem with an Nvidia card?

JohnUghrin
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is JohnUghrin's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by 57%
    Has the steps provided in the first post worked for anyone? I've tried and tried, and it does not work. I have the Radeon 9550.
    None of it has worked for me. Same card.

My installation generally just won't run. (I get a civilization4.exe task...but no game.)

On the 5% of tries that do actually load, most of them totally put my computer into a coma. The screen dies, the computer becomes unresponsive, and I have to hard reboot.

I must say I'm very frustrated and disappointed in this release. I generally have avoided computer games and companies that have this totally ridiculous and unneccesary "download the patch" practice. This is the first time any of Sid's software has given me this kind of grief. This franchise was just about the only thing keeping me gaming on a PC.

Targonis
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Here's a new one that I ran into. It's not the "Failed to Initialize" problem, but the sound driver on the laptop I have as a second machine over here was causing the game to drop to desktop while loading.

Debug log indicated that the problem was with the XML parsing, which made me thing it was a similar video driver problem. BUT, on tinkering, and reading messages online, it turned out that the sound driver was the source of the problem. By having sound playing(Media player playing an MP3 file) while loading Civ 4, I was able to get into the game, but then I had some other crash to desktop issues that I'll work on tomorrow.

So, it seems that sound may be just as big a source of these issues as the video is.

planetfall
    Country
    This is planetfall's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    09:08
    Fix failed. I may need a new graphics card.

Is there a list of cards that work with C4 and cards that do not work with C4?

Rhuarc
    Country
    This is Rhuarc's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    11:08
    I know everyone is doing this, but I just wanted to post up how I fixed this Render bug. All I did was update to the latest drivers. (5.11) It seems that these drivers from ati were released only yesterday. Once I updated the game started up and ran smoothly.

Also, on a different computer the game would run, but the wonder movies were stuttering badly. I switched over from the official ati drivers to the Omega drivers and this fixed the problem.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck all!
    DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
    EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
    AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

townecoa
    Settler
    Country
    This is townecoa's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time

Can't work in any wise

My video card is ATI 9550 (128M, 128bit, 350MHz/500MHz).

system is WinXP SP2.

DirectX 9.0c

The driver of video card is Catalyst 5.11 Windows XP.

I have try the tool "PakBuild".

But game didn't work. Error is "Failed to Initialize Renderer".

I am beyond hope. Could you help me? Please.

Email: [email protected]

meghanwithanh
    Settler
    Country
    This is meghanwithanh's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by 74Stag
    I am also having the "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Problem. I have tried all the suggestions including the Pak file and using old and latest drivers but still no joy.

My card is not an ATI however, I have a Geforce3. I can't seem to find much info about this problem with regards to Nvidia cards.

Am I the only person having this problem with an Nvidia card?
    I have an Nvidia card too, and am (at least mildly) relieved to hear I'm not the only one having the renderer error. Mine's a Geforce MX4000.

I know I'm really late jumping on this bandwagon, as most posts on this thread are dated in October, but I'm wondering why there hasn't been any follow up. Did I miss something? Did a patch come out? Did people just give up? Please, someone tell us what's happening....

Laze
    Settler
    Country
    This is Laze's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    17:08
    I have Saphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis.
    Have tryed all the helpingstuff, but still not working!
    Starting to get sick of trying...

jdchambe
    Country
    This is jdchambe's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    08:08
    Originally posted by meghanwithanh

I have an Nvidia card too, and am (at least mildly) relieved to hear I'm not the only one having the renderer error. Mine's a Geforce MX4000.

I know I'm really late jumping on this bandwagon, as most posts on this thread are dated in October, but I'm wondering why there hasn't been any follow up. Did I miss something? Did a patch come out? Did people just give up? Please, someone tell us what's happening....
    there was a followup and a solution, which to my knowledge worked for everyone who was having the problem back in October. I don't recall which thread had the solution in it though. But the solution was to unpack the game's *.pak file and then rename to the *.pak file to something the game wouldn't recognize.

sorry. I don't remember enough about the details to say more than that.

JohnUghrin
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is JohnUghrin's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Laze
    I have Saphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis.
    Have tryed all the helpingstuff, but still not working!
    Starting to get sick of trying...
    Someone somewhere said you download the patch as a separate file and install it. Have you tried that?

hoosier31
    Settler
    Country
    This is hoosier31's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time

GeForce2 MX/MX 400 needed OLDER driver

I spent the last few days getting Civ IV to work on my Dell Dimension 4400 with has an GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64 GB card. I'll post all of the details below, but the part I want to note is that the lastest driver did NOT work for me. In fact, I had to use an OLDER driver in order to get Direct3D to work properly.

I had to use ForceWare version 78.01 to get things to work, which is ONLY available at this link (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html).

Details --------

System specs:

System: Dell Dimension 4400
    Pentium 4 1.6 GHz
    768 MB RAM

Video:
    GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64 GB

I first upgraded Civ 4 to 1.52 and then grabbed the latest driver from nVidia's web site (ForceWare 81.98). When Civ4 wouldn't work, I used dxdiag to determine that this driver would not allow Direct3D to run.

I sent a query to nVidia technical support (which is hard to do, because they try to reroute to to the PC vendors), and I got the following response:

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

Your graphics card has been discontinued and is not supported by the latest NVIDIA drivers. However, you can always download the latest driver that is supported by your card on the NVIDIA website. To update your drivers, please refer to the link:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

From the Software Downloads page, you will see three boxes. On the first box, click on "Graphics Driver" -> from the second box, choose "Geforce and TNT2" -> finally, on the third box, choose the operating system you are using and then click on the "Go" button to proceed to the next page.

On the next page, click on the "Products Supported" link on the left side of the screen. Scroll down and click on the "Available Here" link to download the driver. To avoid download issues, if you are running any 3rd party download utilities, please disable them as they are known to occasionally cause errors with the downloads.

Regards,
    NVIDIA Customer Care

HOWEVER, the link they provide does not take you to the older drivers. You must follow THIS link (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html) to get to the older drivers.

I worked backwards through the version numbers until 78.01, which was able to do Direct3D properly AND render all of the text in the game properly (one of the later drivers could do 3D but didn't display all of the text correctly).

I'm posting this mainly because I've seen many posts indicating that an nVidia GForce card with 64 GB RAM should work with the latest drivers, but this was definitely not the case for me.

Regards,
    John

PS: Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place in the thread. I'm new to Apolyton, so tips on how to post effectively are appreciated.

GraemeC
    Settler
    Country
    This is GraemeC's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    April 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Hey guys, so i dont know if it will work for anyone else but i have just fixed this problem for me (i have a radeon x1600xt with vista home premium). I have it for steam so your directory may be different, but what i did was this...

Browse to the install directory...
    (C: > Games > Steam > steamapps > common > sid meier's civilization iv)

In there you will find a file named "_Civ4Config". Open that and scroll down to where it says...

"; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
    FullScreen = 1"

Change the = 1 to = 0, save the changes and start it back up.

Now it will be in windowed mode (which you can change in game), or if your like me and dont care, just press the maximize button and play it in 'full screen'

Hope that helps.

Graeme

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10