Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BleckLord
    I've been messing around with the CIV4 ini file.

You can have the startup ask if you want the game in fullscreen or windowed.

You can also hard code the resolution.
    I've played with all of the settings in that ini file too, and none of them makes the error go away.
    In a minute there is time
    For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
    - T. S. Eliot

Comment

It seems that this problem is localized to ATI cards, so I doubt that its a DX9 issue, even though the game requires unknown added DX9 components. I'm betting that we're going to be waiting for an official patch/work-around from Firaxis and 2K to solve this problem.

That said, Civ4 is now installed on my other machine running a Nvidia card, so I'm going to play.

Good luck all!

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but I've been trying playing around with some of the DirectX files. I moved a long list of files into a folder, then ran the Directx setup from the CIV disk. Running dxdiag then showed an error for file:

file d3dim700.dll is an old version, which could cause problems.

That tells me that the d3dim700.dll file I had on my computer was newer than the one that CIV tries to install. Is there some conflict cause by something I've installed prior to CIV?

Comment

Originally posted by BleckLord
          It seems that this problem is localized to ATI cards, so I doubt that its a DX9 issue, even though the game requires unknown added DX9 components. I'm betting that we're going to be waiting for an official patch/work-around from Firaxis and 2K to solve this problem.

That said, Civ4 is now installed on my other machine running a Nvidia card, so I'm going to play.

Good luck all!
          the purpose of directx is to hide the low level details of the video card from the programmer, so if their is problem that only happens with certain video cards, and the drivers are up to date, directx is the first logical place to look.
          In a minute there is time
          For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
          - T. S. Eliot

Comment

I also have 10 updated files for dxdiag as well.

Comment

I've been able to fix my issue (with the help of another poster) by switching my screen res (system, not game) to 1024x768 and then loading the game. Once I'm into the game, I switched it in game to 1280x1024 (my normal res) and the game loads fine now with my regular system res. So, basically, it seems that if the game is set at a different res than what you are using, it won't render...but, I'm in now...(yea!) Hope this works for someone else.

Comment

For the tech-savvy only

It seems that Sims2/DX9.0c/Catalyst 5.10 combo has caused problems as well...

Not that I'm saying you should try this; however if you're frustrated and technical enough to recover if something goes horribly wrong you could try the procedue outlined...

(Uninstall Civ4 here)

download a copy of ATI's catalyst drivers, version 4.8. you may have to look around the web for this if you can't find it at http://atitech.ca .
                - right-click 'my computer', click 'properties', click 'hardware' tab, click 'device manager' button
                - click the plus sign (+) beside 'display adapters' in this list
                - right-click on your ATI card, click 'un-install'
                - click yes to the warning
                - when it asks you to reboot, click NO (do not restart now).
                - click the 'start' button, go to 'settings', then 'control panel'
                - double-click 'add/remove programs'
                - highlight, then and click 'remove', on your ATI video drivers. if you have a slot in that list called 'ATI software uninstaller', use that; it should work for uninstalling everything that should be deleted.
                - the system asks you to restart, this time click 'YES' (restart now)
                - when your machine boots back up, it will ask you to provide drivers for your video card. you want to hit the 'Cancel' button here.
                - run the ATI catalyst 4.8 driver installer .exe file
                - let it reboot your system when it is done installing; click 'YES' when you are asked to restart.
                (Reinstall Civ4 here)

It's for the brave - this might futz your system, and no one (not Firaxis, not Apolyton, not me) will be responsible. That being said, might be interesting to see DX9.0c/olderCatalyst/Civ4 combo might do the trick. I'm pretty sure the beta testers, for example, haven't always been on 5.10...

Comment

Other things you can try...

1. Change these ini values to the following settings:
                  (edit My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Civilization4.ini)

NoMovies = 1
                  AudioEnable = 0

2. Modify the ATI control panel settings:
                  control panel/display/settings/advanced

Try turning off some of the advanced options or not allowing them to be application controlled.

Let us know if anything works,
                  thanks for your patience
                  -Mustafa

Comment

Ok, this is my last post before I go to bed, but I was having the same problems as everyone else. Game would try to render several times, cursor would show while trying to load, and the game would then just minimize to the task bar. It seems to me that the game doesn't like to load if the in game screen res setting is different than my system res setting. Try changing your system res to several different setting to see if any of them will load the game for you. Once in, you can change the in game setting to be what your normal system res is...hopefully this helps people.

Comment

Oh wow.

AudioEnable = 0 made the game work for me.

Granted I have no sound but it works. Weird! I updated my sound drivers, too. Oh well, I can load up a Winamp playlist or something until it gets fixed.

Thanks Mr. Thamer!

Comment

Originally posted by Cidrick
                        Oh wow.

AudioEnable = 0 made the game work for me.

Granted I have no sound but it works. Weird! I updated my sound drivers, too. Oh well, I can load up a Winamp playlist or something until it gets fixed.

Thanks Mr. Thamer!
                        Please say whether or not you had the rendering error. I'm pretty sure you did, but I'd like it confirmed.

I changed the ini settings with no success.
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

AudioEnable = 0 did not fix my rendering error.

Comment

Gave the Advanced Settings (like AA and the other special features) a chance in the Disabled mode, Also disabled Catylist AI, and still got the same error at the exact same place.

Also tried disabling the Movies and Audio as suggested, still no go.

Now one thing I haven't tested yet but noticed. You cite Civilization4.ini above, but when I look in my folder, I find I have CivilizationIV.ini - a small difference but I thought I would point that out just incase no one else noticed. Could be just a typo on your part so who knows.

Comment

I did not have the rendering error, but I had the menus that would not appear and intro movies that would not play.

I do have an ATi card, however.

Comment

Thamer, thank you for the suggestions. None of them have worked for me, however.

Comment

Working...
                                X