No announcement yet.

Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not missing that file, and I am still having the initialize renderer problems after following all the suggestions made in this post and others.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      Have you rebooted? If you have that file and reboot, the game should work.
      Yes, I rebooted, and have the file. No, it does not work. Same problem.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what version of Windows are you running? XP? Home or Pro? And most importantly, Service Pack 1 or 2?

Comment

This is how I fixed the problem:

Uninstalled my ATI Catalyst 5.10 Driver
          Used Driver Cleaner 3
          Unistalled my adapter from Device Manager
          Reinstalled adapter
          Reinstalled ATI Catalyst 5.10 (DRIVER ONLY, not the other crap, don't know if this makes a difference but it's what I did.)
          Installed DirectX 9.0c from the disk.

AND IT WORKED, OH THANK GOD!

Comment

Forgot my stats:

Windows XP sp1
            Raedon AIW 9700 Pro
            2.6 Ghz Pent IV
            1 gig of Ram
            Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

Comment

WinXP Home Sp1

Comment

GunnerHauklund, What did you use to uninstall the ATI Catalyst 5.10 Driver in your first step? Did you use Add/Remove Programs or did you use ATI's utility? Also, what is Driver Cleaner 3?

Comment

OK I got it to work...

If you have a Dell, and if you have a Radeon X850 XT PE, do this:

1. Go to:

2. Click "Video Drivers".
                  3. Click "ATI 256MB RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition".
                  4. Download it and follow the instructions, and voila you should be good, assuming you installed Civ's DX9 updates correctly.
                  EDIT: 5. Oh, and remember to reboot please.

The new driver specs are:

Version: 6.14.10.6525
                  Release: 3/29/2005

Hope this helps anyone that was as miserable as me...

Comment

Originally posted by Philotas
                    Radeon 9600 here. I've run the ATI's driver uninstall, installed the new Cat drivers, and still getting the same "Rendering" error. And, yes, I have the d3dx9_26.dll in my c:/windows/system32 folder.
                    Same.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

hm! so no, i dont have d3dx9_26.dll

How do i go about getting this?

Comment

Uninstall and reinstall, then let the install program install DirectX9.

Probably the easiest way to go

Else look for a file called dxsetup.exe on the CD/dvd and double click on it.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by 57%
                          GunnerHauklund, What did you use to uninstall the ATI Catalyst 5.10 Driver in your first step? Did you use Add/Remove Programs or did you use ATI's utility? Also, what is Driver Cleaner 3?
                          Add/Remove Programs.

Driver Cleaner 3 @ http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-6505.html

Comment

I have a notebook, and dell isn't famous for updating its drivers regularly (catalyst doesn't work with notebooks).

maybe they should have attached a note on the game box saying "this game may not work on laptops" :P

I formatted my pc, installed every single drive + directx on the cd, installed civ again, didn't work, then returned the game. that was my civ 4 experience.. ah it was a lot of fun! :P

Comment

Tried all of this...still not working...

Uninstalled old drivers
                              Installed Catalyst 5.10
                              Updated DX from CD (did not get prompt on install, ran the dxsetup file seperately)

Still getting renderer error
                              I DO have the d3dx9_26.dll file. it is timestamped 5/26/05
                              In DXDiag though, my files do NOT have todays timestamp

Comment

I'm having the same problems:

ATI 9600XT VIO
                                Cat 5.10 w/ WDM & Controll center (did the uninstall-reinstall)

WinXP Pro SP 2 (automatic updates off, don't know when I last applied patches)

dxdiag shows 9 new files & d3dx9_26.dll is present

Comment

Working...
                                X