No announcement yet.

Failed to initialize Renderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i get this error message when i was messing with wider resolution earlier. otherwise when i set screenheight and screenwidth to 0, it starts fine

Comment

My problem is slightly different.

Gateway Laptop

AMD 64 3200+

1 Meg Ram

Ati Mobility Radeon 9600

Ati2dvag.ll 6.14.0010.6451 (English)

DirectX version 9c

When I try to start a game I get an insert the correct disk message. When I switch over to the Disk 1 the tutorial starts to load, I get a picture of Sid and an animation that says, Hello, my name is Sid" and the the game crashes.

I have reported to the telephone support desk. They say they are having lots of problems and will email me when they have a fix.

Ovewr on Civfanatics there is lots of talk about problems with ATI cards.

Comment

It actually appears to be the same problem as other people.

Try removing the driver completely, installing the new driver, and installing the DirectX updates on the Civ4 CD.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

i am having the same problem ive been waiting for this game for a long time its pretty disappointing

Comment

Ok, I had this same problem when I first installed about 2 hours ago. I was getting torqued up about it just like a lot of other folks, but decided I'd work on getting it to run instead of taking the game back, and it turned out to be a good thing. I've gotten it to run on my system. I'm using a Dell Dimension XPS system, Intel P4 3.2 GHz, 1GB ram, WinXP SP2, ATI Radeon X850XT platinum 256 mb graphics card, with the DirectX 9.0c from the game disks. I started with the Catalyst 6.14.0010.6490 (English) drivers. I used the catalyst uninstaller from the link earlier in this thread, then restarted the system, then installed the Catalyst 6.14.0010.6575 (English) drivers and restarted the system again. I normally run at 1280x1024 resolution, but saw something on another forum about the .ini file having resolution set at 1024x768 by default, so I adjusted my settings to that and tried the game and it ran. I then adjusted my resolution back up to 1280x1024 and tried it again and it works there too. I don't know if it would have worked at that without reducing and trying it first or not. Anyway, that's what got it working for me. Hope it helps somebody else. Off to play now.

Comment

Had the problem, it's working now

I was having this same problem. I had gone out this weekend and purchased an ATI Radeon 9550 from Wal-Fart just for this game but I got the same error as the rest of you. I tried all the driver downloads and everything as well. The only thing that worked for me was to swap out the new card and replace it with my old ATI Radeon 9100 card. Fired right up after I rebooted.
              "Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

Comment

question,how do i find my video card specs?

Comment

rek0204, can you post the link to the drivers that worked for you?

Comment

anyway i would like to know if i have a usable vid card before i go and invest in a new one im not going to get one if i dont have to.

Comment

X800XL on an Athlon 64 3000+
                      Updated DirectX 9c, Omega 2.6.56a drivers. (aka, 6.14.10.6525)

Comment

Doing a full uninstall of the previous video drivers and then rebooting and installing the drivers again had no affect. Mucking with my default display settings to get them to match the 1024x768 default that is used by the game did not help either.

also: i used the same driver version that the previous poster who said he got it working used.

no dice.
                        In a minute there is time
                        For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
                        - T. S. Eliot

Comment

I called the support number to see if they could offer any help... someone answered and before I could even say anything the person said... "We're all busy right now, please call back later".... *click*...

At least I can stare at the fancy case that came with my preorder...

Comment

Originally posted by rsknowles
                            I called the support number to see if they could offer any help... someone answered and before I could even say anything the person said... "We're all busy right now, please call back later".... *click*...
                            Well, they are.

You can bet the second they have a fix, they'll let us know. They're just as pissed about this as the rest of us, and most of them probably won't be sleeping tonight.

Yeah, it sucks not being able to civ. Just sit back and do something else
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Athlon XP 2600+
                              Radeon 9600 XT 256 MB
                              1 GB RAM
                              Plenty of hard drive space.

Comment

Originally posted by rek0204
                                Ok, I had this same problem when I first installed about 2 hours ago. I was getting torqued up about it just like a lot of other folks, but decided I'd work on getting it to run instead of taking the game back, and it turned out to be a good thing. I've gotten it to run on my system. I'm using a Dell Dimension XPS system, Intel P4 3.2 GHz, 1GB ram, WinXP SP2, ATI Radeon X850XT platinum 256 mb graphics card, with the DirectX 9.0c from the game disks. I started with the Catalyst 6.14.0010.6490 (English) drivers. I used the catalyst uninstaller from the link earlier in this thread, then restarted the system, then installed the Catalyst 6.14.0010.6575 (English) drivers and restarted the system again. I normally run at 1280x1024 resolution, but saw something on another forum about the .ini file having resolution set at 1024x768 by default, so I adjusted my settings to that and tried the game and it ran. I then adjusted my resolution back up to 1280x1024 and tried it again and it works there too. I don't know if it would have worked at that without reducing and trying it first or not. Anyway, that's what got it working for me. Hope it helps somebody else. Off to play now.
                                could you clarify this a little? did you set your system to 1024 or did you manually adjust your ini file?
                                - What's that?
                                - It's a cannon fuse.
                                - What's it for?
                                - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Working...
                                X