Windowed Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windowed Mode

One of the things that bugged me about Civ 3 was that it was impossible to play in a window. I don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but is this possible in Civ 4?
    "There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it." - George Bernard Shaw

I believe either Solver or MarkG have mentioned they played in window mode.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

if its like the beta, then it will be in the ini settings.

I have it set to ask upon loading if I want full screen or windowed.

Thank god for windowed mode.

Comment

Great, thanks for the info. That's a relief to hear.
        "There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

well, sulla's screenie is windowed
          and then there's this part of civfanatics chat log

[20:21] <@Gogf> CivGeneral: Question for the Fraxis: Can Civ4 be run in windows mode [without dual monitors]?

[20:21] <+FIRAXIS_Trip> yes, you can run windowed mode whenever you want

[20:22] <+FIRAXIS_Trip> all programmers run windowed

Comment

Is "windowed mode" so popular because you can chat online ETC at the same time? I have almost never played a game in windowed mode, simply because I get engrossed in the game and wouldn't remember to chat or post pics anyway.
            Of course, it is good the option is there for those that like to minimize the game for whatever reason.

Comment

It is presumably popular because it's easier to alt-tab to other things in general ... you can keep SP Civ4 in the background and do other things, going back to them every so often

But definitely chat is a big reason.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Actually the reason it concerns me so much is because my laptop resolution is messed up due to another incident I had with a fullscreen game. What happened was it changed my resolution upon starting, and while I was playing my computer froze up (overheated). So I had to do a hard reboot, and when I got back to the desktop the changed resolution was still there, but the windows resolution was recognized as the original, so from then on there was a permanent offset. I managed to "fix" it by turning my windows resolution all the way up to the highest setting.

Now whenever I play games I either play them in windowed mode to avoid this problem or change my windows resolution to a much lower setting beforehand in case something like that happens again. That's really a pain (incidentally it's the way I always played Civ3), so I'd prefer to have a window option. And I'm really glad there is one for Civ4.

Comment

Originally posted by Nailfoot
                  Is "windowed mode" so popular because you can chat online ETC at the same time? I have almost never played a game in windowed mode, simply because I get engrossed in the game and wouldn't remember to chat or post pics anyway.
                  Of course, it is good the option is there for those that like to minimize the game for whatever reason.
                  For me definitely,
                  as I often have ICQ open when playing a game
                  and so can return to the normal windows screen and check if new messages have appeared.

But it can also serve a more practical purpose:
                  In Railroad Tycoon 3 for example I have made an Excel sheet where I note which Station is already connected to which.
                  So here it´s a very good thing to be able to switch between windows and the game and vice versa, to update the Excel sheet with the new stations built, or to use the excel sheet to decide to which stations new trains should travel.
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

i was looking for the option to have the game drawn on dual monitors. is this changed in the .ini also?

Comment

yes, you just set the resolution accordingly (there is a width and a height setting, as well as the windowed or full screen option)
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Ask Markos, he knows.

edit: And he's also quicker than I am.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

could you post an example?

i'm using ScreenHeight = 1024 and ScreenWidth = 2560 (i did the inverse too..) and i just get an error upon loading

Comment

try ScreenHeight = 970 and ScreenWidth = 2500
                            and put it in windowed mode

btw, i can safely bet that dual monitors are not officially supported
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Does this mean you have to adjust numbers in the .ini file in order to get the game to play in a window every time, or is it one of the setup options?

Comment

Working...
                              X