I'm moving to St. John's, Newfoundland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Az
    What's the population? I dunno why, but I've spent all my life since the age of 5 in cities with a pop of higher than 400k in metro, so when I arrive to smaller towns they scare me.
    St. John's Metro has about 150k.

Comment

So, so far the concensus is that St. John's is a **** hole?

Comment

that still smaller than the smallest city I ever lived in, but it should be fine.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
          So, so far the concensus is that St. John's is a **** hole?
          it's nice as a tourist destination.

It's cold and miserable most of the year, it snows way too much, the unemployment rate is astronomical, the economy sucks (except for the energy stuff offshore), and the fishermen are violent.

My dad was run out of town in the late 80s there when they were negotiating for Hibernia.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

it's nice as a tourist destination.

It's cold and miserable most of the year, it snows way too much, the unemployment rate is astronomical, the economy sucks (except for the energy stuff offshore), and the fishermen are violent.

My dad was run out of town in the late 80s there when they were negotiating for Hibernia.
            Well all that has changed within the last couple of years. St. John's is exploding and is profiting greatly from retaking its oil revenues from Ottawa, similar to what your province did. Times are great for Newfoundland, St. John's in particular.

Comment

Amazingly, this is only minutes from Downtown:
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't think times are great for a province with a 15%+ unemployment rate.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  I don't think times are great for a province with a 15%+ unemployment rate.
                  Correction, times are going to be great at the rate they're going.

Comment

didn't know you were in Ottawa!
                    good luck in Newfnland.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                      so when I arrive to smaller towns they scare me.

So I'm guessing you would be absolutely terrified in my hometown, with a population of 532 souls.

Comment

In response to this thread, I'm replying with Free Word Association:

Regression
                        Devolution
                        Thoreau-ian
                        Rock
                        Speck
                        Hick
                        Ashleigh McIsaac
                        Rita&Friends
                        Kilts
                        Celts
                        Fish
                        Poor
                        Potatoe
                        Famine
                        Grubby
                        Dirty
                        Incomprehensible
                        Outsider
                        Xenophobic
                        In-Bred
                        Cold

This concludes my free word association response.
                        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

No bars in St. John's?
                          The airport. Not the city.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Reading the title I was expecting the town to be a total ****hole, but that street downtown doesn't look that bad.

Winter probably is a whole different story, so make sure the place you move into has broadband.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

St. John's is lots of fun. The bars and clubs along Water St. are great. The people are very friendly, everyone plays an instrument. Newfunland is the main source of comedy in the entire country. If you want real people and real culture, as opposed to artificial, money-driven Americanized culture - you're going to the right place. Remember to set your watch half an hour ahead.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

So I'm guessing you would be absolutely terrified in my hometown, with a population of 532 souls.
                                He'd probably need a new change of underwear after being shown anywhere in Arkansas, then...
                                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                                X