Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post negative points of Civilization 4 here

Rules:

1. ONLY post if you HAVE the game and have PLAYED the game.

2. Only post your NEGATIVE VIEWS on the game. (For Positive points, go here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140434)
    be free

I'm probably breaking a rule by posting my question, but in this and in the negative thread, does that mean that people who wish to comment on the actual players' thoughts, are discouraged from doing so if you don't have the game, and haven't played it?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
      I'm probably breaking a rule by posting my question, but in this and in the negative thread, does that mean that people who wish to comment on the actual players' thoughts, are discouraged from doing so if you don't have the game, and haven't played it?
      You must have the game and you must have played it.

You can comment, but don't drag it on turning it into a debate. The 2 threads are purely for quickly finding out what are the negative and positive points of the game. It's a great way to get an overall impression of the game.
      be free

Comment

I suggest making a list of (meaningful/useful) points in the initial post (in both threads).
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

my biggest negative is it keeps crashing less than 5 minutes of gameplay.... getting very annoyed and can not find a true tech support location to go online.

Comment

Doesn't even start the game the first time. Got the latest DirectX and latest ATI drivers.

Specs:
            AMD Sempron 3000+
            768 MB RAM
            ATI Radeon 9600 (256 MB vid RAM)
            Matrox 250GB HDD

There is bad labelling on the CD (the one that says INSTALL not PLAY is actually the play cd)

Sorry if this is irrelevant to this thread. But, I feel the best games start with a smooth and intuitive installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Runmymouth
              my biggest negative is it keeps crashing less than 5 minutes of gameplay.... getting very annoyed and can not find a true tech support location to go online.
              What are your system specs?

Probably be good idea to do a memory test. Here's a program that works with windows:

I was having problems crashing randomly in a few different games and this pointed out some memory errors that were occuring. After rechecking the memory settings, I found out my "matched" pair weren't really matched, and after changing the settings correctly, things were back to perfectly stable.

Comment

To me that suggests a problem with the manufacturer NOT the designers of the game. I am guessing that in any mass production, you are bound to see the occasional glitch-and not just software. For me, I am far more interested in seeing people post on 'in-game' positives and negatives.

Oh and, sorry if I am actually NOT allowed to post here, feel free to delete the post if I have 'broken' the rules.

Yours,
                Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

My problem with this game is that
                  a) it is difficult to see food/hammers on the tiles that are not darkened, when the tile value display is turned on, or when settler is selected.
                  b) in the city screen, same problem. Plus it is difficult to see where the people work. In the tutorial it is said that thouse tiles should be marked by circles (I think I have seen it in screen shorts) but in the game, it is just larger icons. Not easy to see for me at all.

I never had problems in civ games seeing the tile values.
                  The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                  certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                  -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Well, the thing with circles was a bug. I restarted the game, and they appeared.

However Food/Production/Commerce icons are still not easy to see, especially in the desert.

Another minor annoyance is the absence of end of turn button, when interface is minimized (ctrl-i).

EDIT:
                    Here is another one: when you enter into the city screen and then exit it, the interface is not minimized, even though before it was minimized.

Another one: There is no button "exit" form the city screen. You can exit by hitting enter (which I do not want to use, I want to use mouse only) or by double clicking into the central part of the screen. This however can shift you labor by mistake.

I also can not find a way to deselect the unit.
                    Last edited by MxM; October 27, 2005, 00:59.
                    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Another minor annoyance is the absence of end of turn button, when interface is minimized (ctrl-i).

IIRC Shift+Enter does the same.

or by double clicking into the central part of the screen

Clicking at the edge of the city screen should do the same, in tiles that can't be worked by the city but are still visible.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

IIRC Shift+Enter does the same.
                        I want to use mouse only, even for minimized interface.
                        Originally posted by alva
                        or by double clicking into the central part of the screen

Clicking at the edge of the city screen should do the same, in tiles that can't be worked by the city but are still visible.
                        This is what I am doing, but still, sometimes I miss. Adding exit button which can be found on ANY other screen, would be nice though.
                        -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM
                          However Food/Production/Commerce icons are still not easy to see, especially in the desert.
                          hum, didn't firaxians say that you get absolutely NOTHING from a desert?

Comment

Indeed, nothing in dessert or mountains for that matter.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Civilopedia is a BIG disappointment for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X