Windowed mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windowed mode?

I have difficulty keeping interest in games occupying full screen (alt-tabbing doesn't cut it for me). Any word from on support for running in a window in any previews or by the beta testers?

And.. if there is support, can the window be resized in-game?
    får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

I doubt it's windowed or that it's possible from release on. But I've seen less moddable games get windowed mode mods, so I'd guess it comes if there's interest in it.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

If not windowed, how alt-tabbable is it? IIRC, Civ3 never responded to Alt-Tab on my PC.

Comment

Civ3 never responded to Alt-Tab on my PC.

Civ3 was the most Tab-Friendly game i ever played!

Comment

Oh, I've seen better IIRC.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

I could always Alt-Tab in Civ3. Now, you know, if you didn't have another window open, you couldn't alt-Tab, or course. You had to actually have another window open to do it.
            Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

In most cases, games that, by default, run in full-screen mode, can be made to run in windowed mode via a simple command in a shortcut (to the .exe)

However, a few games are hard coded to play at a certain resolution, and in full-screen to boot, but there are ways around this as well - although they are a lot more troublesome to put into play than a simple "-w".

In short: fear not
              This thread may contain traces of nuts.

Comment

windowed mode is supported via a .ini setting
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mace
                  I could always Alt-Tab in Civ3. Now, you know, if you didn't have another window open, you couldn't alt-Tab, or course. You had to actually have another window open to do it.
                  And that's bad. I can alt-tab other games without anything else being open.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                    windowed mode is supported via a .ini setting

Comment

Alt+tab

Windowed mode

Options for those who like it
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I've never gotten in the habit of thinking alt-tab. Instead, I've gotten in a habit of hitting the special Windows key that brings up the start menu. That also brings up the taskbar, letting me switch to a program that's already open. (I'm set up to auto-hide the taskbar, so I can't vouch for what happens without auto-hide.) I don't know whether anyone might find that more convenient than alt-tab or not, but I've been using that technique on Win2K and more recently on WinXP just about ever since Civ 3 came out.

Comment

Civ3 the biggest problem I had was on exiting, if I have Firefox/IE open, that program (ONE of them if they're both open) suddenly goes to 99% system resources for about 30 seconds ... sounding like they share a resource in some way that doens't quite work as expected.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
                            I've never gotten in the habit of thinking alt-tab. Instead, I've gotten in a habit of hitting the special Windows key that brings up the start menu. That also brings up the taskbar, letting me switch to a program that's already open. (I'm set up to auto-hide the taskbar, so I can't vouch for what happens without auto-hide.) I don't know whether anyone might find that more convenient than alt-tab or not, but I've been using that technique on Win2K and more recently on WinXP just about ever since Civ 3 came out.
                            This is exactly what I do as well.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

And that's bad. I can alt-tab other games without anything else being open.
                              Yes, I agree. It always annoyed me a little with Civ3. Eventually I started opening another program (a file manager) so that I could alt-tab in Civ3...
                              Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Working...
                              X