[PBEM]Civ4 Succession Game #1: Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PBEM]Civ4 Succession Game #1: Rome

Succession games are a FANTASTIC way to learn about the game together, teaching each other how to play the game better and learning strategy and gameplay simultaneously as well. I learned a lot of my civ3 strategy from playing with some pretty good people in Succeession games ...

... and thus I think it's the way to go with Civ4.

Some history, for those who don't know these (skip to the end if you do!):
    Succession Games
    A succession game is a very simple style of multiplayer game. Instead of each person playing a separate civ, they are all playing the SAME civ, in single-player mode. Each player plays a set amount of turns (20,5, whatever) and then passes the game to the next player, to be played whenever he or she has the time, hopefully within a day or so.

When any given player has the save, he or she may play however desired, so long as the player doesn't intentionally sabotage the game for others. IE, you don't have to be warlike if the previous player was warlike; but you should honor treaties made by the other player at least so far as you don't irreperably damage your civ's reputation, unless you all agree to not worry about such things. Building cities, choosing techs, things like that are chosen entirely by the current save player; however, it is expected and beneficial to discuss these things together, as it's much easier to work together to a common goal than to be changing around from one goal to the next every ten turns.

Typically, a save is held for 20 turns in the early game, and then the duration gets shorter for later stages of the game, as you can get a lot more done in the later game in fewer turns, and the turns take a lot longer.

Choosing a Map
    In Civ3, succession games worked well with large to huge maps. Huge maps worked spectacularly, in fact, because that meant a lot of civs out there, and each player to some extent could get what they wanted... the only problem being huge maps have VERY long turn times later in the game.
    In Civ4, who knows?

Turn Reporting
    No turn reporting is mandatory, but the game is a lot more constructive and interesting with it. Turn reports vary a lot from extremely roleplayish to descriptive to basic "attacked the greeks, oops, lost badly ..." The turn report is where you discuss what went well, what went wrong, what your basic strategy was, and where you can hash out with the others in the game what happens next. It can also be fun. Pics are helpful, especially so people don't have to load the save themselves ... but not mandatory, of course.

This Game
    In this game, I suggest:
    * A "large" world size (one higher than whatever is standard)
    * I chose Rome for the civ, because it's an easy one to play, probably, with a fairly early UU and simple playstyle, from my guess. That's up for discussion of course.
    * Default options, unless we choose to adjust some for convenience.

Who's interested? You don't necessarily have to play every time you come up in the turn cycle; as long as we have 3-4 people at minimum in the turn cycle it's fine. I'd start the game on 10/24 assuming my copy is available (EBGames ) but if it's not someone else can Feel free to sign up if you're a post-10/24 release date, just notate when you'll be able to play so we know not to include you in the rotation at start Also please anyone feel free to kibitz.
    BETA TESTERS GLADLY ACCEPTED AND DESIRED We value your advice quite a bit given your experience with the game ... and of course your play

1. Snoopy369
    2. Rubychaser (late Nov?)
    3. Conmcb
    4. TheDarkside
    5. Ennet (nov)
    6. Ninot
    7. Edgar Newt
    8. Chrisius Maximus
    9. Vmxa1 ?
    10. Grandpa Troll
    11. JohnSJ

Last edited by snoopy369; October 26, 2005, 12:11.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

In. Will have my discs by late November at latest.
    Long Live The Horde
    Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
    Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

Hopefully you'll get it before then

Comment

That is a hope. Trying Amazon as per your suggestion I believe.
        Long Live The Horde
        Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
        Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

Put me down as a casual player.
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

This sounds great! Count me in on around the evening of the 24th (Ebgames)

Comment

Im in too, but i'll probably hold a coupple of weeks after the initial release until i actualy buy the game. This play style should fit me pretty good as i generally seem to lack enought time to be fully commited to any PBEMs. But playing a few turns occationaly and reading up and posting on the forum should suit me perfect.
              Proud member of the PNY Brigade
              Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

you could hopefully count me in.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Snoopdog

We could get the game going and as more people show who have gotten the game we let more join the bandwagon. More players could mean more eventual success, lets not get caught up in "you have to play your turn in order"

Thats my suggestion.
                  *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

conmcb, I want the "Commies aren't cool" avvie back!
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                      conmcb, I want the "Commies aren't cool" avvie back!
                      OK, lemme mess with this one for a while. I never "retire" an avatar, they just get rest once in a while.

And the commies aren't cool avatar needed a rest, with all the cybersex going on around here over her, she was kind of tired and sore

Comment

I'm in, if there is still room. I've preordered from EB games, so I should be up and running before Oct. 26.

Comment

Very interested if you need more players
                          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                            Snoopdog

We could get the game going and as more people show who have gotten the game we let more join the bandwagon. More players could mean more eventual success, lets not get caught up in "you have to play your turn in order"

Thats my suggestion.
                            Indeed this is the idea. We have really never had rules in games i've run/played in about specific play order - more just that several people should play the save in between any one person playing. I have no problem with a list of 20 or 30 casual players any 5 of which are actively playing ... we could easily play in 5 turn increments if necessary to involve everyone

The more the better

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Indeed this is the idea. We have really never had rules in games i've run/played in about specific play order - more just that several people should play the save in between any one person playing. I have no problem with a list of 20 or 30 casual players any 5 of which are actively playing ... we could easily play in 5 turn increments if necessary to involve everyone

The more the better
                              Cool we can just post the saves here, and then whoever posted them can zap em once the next player downloads and plays so we dont suck up server space.

I like it to be more casual, because sometimes I just dont have time to play and would prefer to pass and visa versa.

Comment

Working...
                              X