X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hundreds Dead in Powerful Asian Earthquake

By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press Writer
    3 minutes ago

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - A powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake reduced villages to rubble in Pakistan and India on Saturday, killing more than 160 people and injuring hundreds. Pakistan's army described the damage as widespread and said it included villages buried in quake-induced landslides.

Pakistan's Geo television quoted Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan, the Pakistani army's chief spokesman, as saying 1,000 people were feared dead. Pakistani army officials who flew over quake-hit areas reported seeing hundreds of devastated homes in villages directly north of the capital Islamabad.

"The damage and casualties could be massive and it is a national tragedy," Sultan told The Associated Press. "The is the worst earthquake in recent times."

The
    U.S. Geological Surveysaid on its Web site the quake hit at 8:50 a.m. local time and had a magnitude of 7.6. It was centered about 60 miles northeast of Islamabad in the forested mountains of Pakistani
    Kashmir. The quake was also felt in
    Afghanistan.

Damage was extensive in the disputed Himalayan territory divided between India and Pakistan. The Indian-controlled portion reported 157 killed, including 14 soldiers who perished in a landslide.

Vijay Bakaya, Jammu-Kashmir state's chief secretary, said at least 600 people were injured when houses and buildings collapsed across Jammu-Kashmir.

"These are the current reports of casualties. The figure may rise as details come in about damaged houses and the numbers (of dead) could go up," he said.

The quake toppled a 10-story apartment building in Islamabad and dozens of people were feared trapped in the rubble. Rescuers pulled out at least 20 injured people. Some residents were Westerners, a building employee said.

A man named Rehmatullah who lived nearby said he saw dust from the buckled building from his bathroom window.

"I rushed down, and for some time you could not see anything because of the dust. Then we began to look for people in the rubble," said Rehmatullah, who only gave one name. "We pulled out one man by cutting off his legs."

"It was like hell," said Nauman Ali, who lived in a nearby top-floor apartment. "It was terrible. I was tossed up in my bed and the ceiling fan struck against the roof."

Aided by two large cranes, hundreds of police and soldiers helped remove chunks of concrete. A concrete slab was splattered with blood. One rescue worker said he initially heard faint cries from people trapped in the rubble.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

So what's shaking?

Ok, that was insensative.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We have at least one friend here with family in Pakistan.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

you're right UR, I didn't look far enough
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

shocking

Comment

Population control

Comment

Trolls
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Did post deletions happen in this thread?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                  Population control

Did you make the same tasteless joke when you first found about Katrina?

It doesn't matter if you're joking, because it's not funny.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    Did post deletions happen in this thread?
                    Obviously not... yet

Comment

C4 news '' Police have confirmed that around 400 Pakistani schoolchildren have died in the quake after their schools collapsed.''

although the high commisioner couldnt state that she knew that was 100% accurate
                      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Here's hoping that somewhere in Afghanistan, Usama's cave collapsed with him in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          Here's hoping that somewhere in Afghanistan, Usama's cave collapsed with him in it.

YEAH! Along with any of the other terrorists.

But at the cost of hundreds of innocent lives lost . . . . . .
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Is this how you of the West react to any disaster not happening in your own land ?

Comment

Just the right wing americans (and even so-called american left leaning posters are still rightwing at heart, just not compared to some of the other fascists) by the looks of it, but then we all know they don't see the rest of the world as real but as rather as their plaything.

It looks like the death toll is going to rise a lot, large portions of Northern Pakistan, Kashmir and Afghanistan haven't been contacted yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X