PBEM Newbie Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM Newbie Game

Alright, I will be the first to admit that I have come slowly into PBEMs. And from my own experience PBEMs are sometimes lost in the sands of time. However Theseus brought me into the world of PBEMs (thanks to his AU602 game ) and at this point I am hungering for more PBEM experience... So I am opening up a PBEM of my own, esp. gearing toward (but not limited to) Newbies to PBEM.

My proposal for the game will be one with only a few players (4-5?) that all are dedicated to passing the turns around. (because this is the biggest problem with PBEMs: the halflife) Everyone would pick their civilizations (first come first serve) and we would play a standard civ (C3C) game.

I am thinking for the map to be a small map; 80% water; continents; mainly lowlands; Space race/Diplomatic/Conquest victories. And depending on the players who are interested we could have an alliance game (as opposed to a Free For All) or maybe an AI (although I know this is generally not favored). Its up to the players interested.

Please give me your comments/questions/requests too!

So is anyone interested?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE:
    PLAYERS:
    ElConejo --- Sumeria
    Metra --- Maya
    Jeppson --- Persia
    Eris --- Celts
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TURN ORDER:
    Metra --> Jeppson --> Eris --> ElConejo
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MAP:
    Difficulty: Regent
    Small map
    Continents
    80% water
    Mainly lowlands
    Victory: Space/Diplo/Conq
    Barbarians at Roaming
    Alliance 1: Maya and Sumeria (The Azul Alliance)
    Alliance 2: Celts and Persia
    RULES:
    Combat Report Level 3
    (as pertains to the
    Warrior Code 2.0)
    Alliances are to be honored
    War is not forced between the Alliances
    Last edited by ElConejo; October 30, 2005, 17:08.
    Siga El Conejo Blanco
    Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
    | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

I'm in!!!
    "Forever shall we be remembered, as the wall that would not Crumble." -Metratan Defender Call to arms

Comment

Originally posted by Metra
      I'm in!!!
      Well, Metra and I have played before together, so if we can get at least two more players in, we could have an Alliance game (if of course thats something the rest of the players are good for).

Alright we have two! Anything else terribly important, you can always PM me too! Metra, what civ do you think you would be going for?

I think I am going to go with Sumeria as my Civ of choice. Post whatever else you have to comment on too.
      Last edited by ElConejo; September 22, 2005, 23:24.
      Siga El Conejo Blanco
      | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

I call Maya
        "Forever shall we be remembered, as the wall that would not Crumble." -Metratan Defender Call to arms

Comment

I would love to try. I call the Celts. (Got my supply of woad handy and everything!!) What difficulty setting are you talking about? Not sure about the alliance thing. Would it just complicate my experience as a newbie PBEM person? Or make it easier?
          If you aren't confused,
          You don't understand.

Comment

The complication of it being an alliance game would really depend on the amount of communication between you and your teammate. I would suggest that if we do end up doing alliances, and once teams are established, That both team members get some type of free IM service. That way you can communicate efficiently outside of and during gameplay.

Comment

Im in to!!

Comment

alliance is totally ok for me

Comment

The complication of it being an alliance game would really depend on the amount of communication between you and your teammate. I would suggest that if we do end up doing alliances, and once teams are established, That both team members get some type of free IM service. That way you can communicate efficiently outside of and during gameplay.
                  I am in favor of this. Metra and I have played a few games together (against ONLY AI ... we know... its sort of cheating ) So we know that communication helps a lot too. Also, in an Alliance game, two players can compliment one another and help each other in ways that will make the game easier and a lot more fun!
                  Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

Originally posted by eris
                    I would love to try. I call the Celts.
                    Originally posted by Jeppson

Im in to!!

alliance is totally ok for me
                    Excellent, this means that as long as eris agrees, we have a pretty nice two-on-two alliance game. Thats a really good start. Once again I am in favor of this, as it will aid the expirence, and prevent the dogpile effect And if we get a few more players that would be cool too, they could be rouges or maybe have an ally also. But as of right now, lets say that its just us.

I have some questions that we need answered before we can start:

1) Who (if anyone) is in favor of having the AI in the game? If so how many?

2) What difficulty level are you all accustomed to playing? And which should we set as for the PBEM?

3) Is the map settings at present good for all?
                    (( Small map size, continents, 80% water, mainly lowlands, Barbarians at Roaming, Diplo/Conq/Space Victories ))

4) How often will you be able to play your saves? Because once again we do want to have the saves moving with fluidity (thats another reason why having only a few players is an advantage).

Question for Jeppson-- please choose a civ

Once we answer all these questions, then we will be able to make it up and start it hopefully extremely soon.
                    Last edited by ElConejo; September 24, 2005, 21:37.
                    Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

1) I don't know how I feel about AI's. it depends on wether or not us human players are going to actually DO anything.

2) chieftan , I am for playing this on regent ir lower

3) seems good to me

4) Everynight

Comment

1) I don't know how I feel about AI's. it depends on wether or not us human players are going to actually DO anything.

2) chieftan , I am for playing this on regent ir lower

3) seems good to me

4) Everynight
                        1. I understand only one player gets to see AI moves and has to report them. That may be a complication factor. I lean towards no AI for that reason.

2. I agree.

3. I agree again.

4. Should be able to do every night.

As for alliance, sure. I am up to anything once; twice if it didn't hurt the first time. However, I do not have a IM at the moment. I will PM my proposed partner in victory with a valid email adddress and see what we can arrange.
                        If you aren't confused,
                        You don't understand.

Comment

I choose persia.

1)

2)I think regent would be good. Its so much corruption on the higher levels.

3)I agree on everything except 80 % water.Isnt that to much.

4)same here.

Are we going to play original conquest or a mod? I was thinking we could make our own mod only with some small changes like increasing the bombardment strength of every artillery/air/naval unit and give them lethal bombardment. Make every land unit amphibios so you cant stop a water invasion by placing a unit on every tile along the coast. And raise the transport capacity on navaltransport a little. Or we could just play the original game its ok for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeppson
                            I choose persia.

1)

2)I think regent would be good. Its so much corruption on the higher levels.

3)I agree on everything except 80 % water.Isnt that to much.

4)same here.

Are we going to play original conquest or a mod? I was thinking we could make our own mod only with some small changes like increasing the bombardment strength of every artillery/air/naval unit and give them lethal bombardment. Make every land unit amphibios so you cant stop a water invasion by placing a unit on every tile along the coast. And raise the transport capacity on navaltransport a little. Or we could just play the original game its ok for me.
                            2) I agree with that, I think that the setting is Regent at this point then.

3) 80% isnt too much actually, I ran a few tests when I opened the editor and made 80% water on a small map and there is still plenty of room to expand IMHO. Small maps are normally suited to 6 players, if that give you an idea. 80% also makes sure that the entire game doesnt consist of expansion.

Your points) We are playing the Conquests original. I was thinking to mod somethings myself, however normally I wouldnt ask because we might argue over too many things. However, if everyone agrees with a few that would be ok with. I will come up with a list of changes and post them if everyone is ok with that. Also does anyone have any suggestions for it?
                            Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

Alright, to get this baby rolling, we have to answer a few more simple things that need to be taken care of:

1) We will be using the Combat Report system in the event of a war: (copied directly from the Warrior Code 2.0):

Level 3> Intensive
                              A player making any attack must indicate to the defender that it has taken palce and provide a detailed account of each unit's location and resulting damage status.

2) The filename for the save (which will make it easy for us to keep standard and understandable is):

AD5000toMetra.sav

The AD/BC at the front will keep it in order, the Year will be placed in order as well, and then "toMetra" "toConejo" will help remember which file is to be sent, and which has just come in to load. This is the best order for a save that I can see. So we will be using this as our standard.

3) Our Alliances will NOT be locked together! The Alliances will also NOT be locked at war! The only reason we have the Alliances is a sort of buddy system that we will help one another and have an ally as a backup at all times.

4) The finalizing of the MAP and the intro of any mods made.
                              Example: We can create a map that makes sure that the alliances are on the same continent as one another, otherwise, the alliances may be split apart due to random start. Also think of any mods we may have, or we could do it standard.

5) Please also post your best playing times as it will help the play order.
                              Siga El Conejo Blanco

Comment

Working...
                              X