Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My neighbor's house just partially burned down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My neighbor's house just partially burned down.

My neighbor four houses down had his garage catch on fire and the house got very badly damaged. No one was home but a neighbor saw smoke coming out of the garage and called 911 and when the fire department arrived they had to break down the garage door so they could put out the fire. The whole inside of the garage was gutted and the roof has partially fallen in but it looks like the fire didn't spread to the main house. No one was hurt but the classic 60's mustang and the new Volvo in the garage were both toast. This really sucks and I hope they have home owner's insurence.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

This seems to happen to you quite often Oerdin, didn't your whole block burn down a few years ago?
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

We had some very bad wild fires about 1.5 years ago which resulted in the largest forest fire in the history of the US. They finally stopped the fire one block south of my house. At the time though it didn't look like the fire crews would be able to stop the flames so the authorities ordered an evacuation.

Know one seems to know what caused the fire in this person's house. Something in the garage started it though.

Comment

Don't care a bit for the volvo, but the Mustang - that is sad
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I heard a couple months ago on Poly that some Fords had some sort of onboard electrical system that never shuts off that has been known to cause parked cars to spontaneously combust. Perhaps this may have been the cause?
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I doubt a 1960's car is would have such a system. The cars in the garage were a classic 1960's Ford Mustang and a new Volvo (I'm not sure which model).

Comment

Most memorable fire that occured near where I resided. Many years ago when my son was small, we lived within sight of a stable which caught fire one night. The horses did not get out and I will never forget the sounds they made nor the smell.

When my father was young, and one of eight children, his family burned completely to the ground. They lost everything. And it was a poor family. But everyone was safe.

The first house I bought was renovated after a fire gutted the interior. It had been the home of two sisters. One died and the other claim her sister was haunting the house so she moved to Florida. Shortly after the house burned down. While I lived there we experienced strange noises all of the time, and we considered the dead sister's spirit a member of the family.

I divorced my wife and gave her the house and was glad to be rid of both. Now the house is haunted by both a ghost and a witch.

And that is the extent of my fire stories.

Comment

Oerdin I'm assuming from what you said that your area is in a high risk area for fire

I've heard from a few friends that getting fire insurance in these areas is extremley expensive and sometimes impossible

But maybe his normal homeowners policy would cover it
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I hope he was well insured
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Ted: It is on the edge of a big canyon so there are lots of trees and bushes to burn plus there is a large military base and a university a short way away so there are large open spaces filled with plants which make a nice material to burn. In any event my neighbor's house isn't any more likely to burn then anyone elses but somethng started the fire. I'd be interested in finding out what just because my house is the same model and I don't want any fires in my garage.

Comment

I still can't believe you actually own a house man.

Given where you live, and the crazy azz costs to buy a house now, I would consider that a lifetime achievement.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thanks. It's something I'm very proud of especially since only two of my old college friends also own houses. One bought a nice house with his wife in Washington state where prices are a lot cheaper (I forget the name of the town but it is south of Seattle closer to Fort Lewis where prices are a lot less then Seattle) and the other bought an apartment in San Bruno (south bay) which cost about the same as my house.

I basically had to cut expenses to the bone and save for two years and even then I wouldn't have qualified if my father hadn't agreed to help out with the down payment. Still, it feels good when my friend who has a Masters in EE and who makes $75 per year can't afford a house and is still renting a room in someone else's house. Of course he could afford one if he wanted to but he won't budget and he has expensive tastes in German cars, Italian clothes, and designer eye sunglasses. It's amazing how people can make so much yet save so little.

Comment

How are the property taxes though?
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

They're killing me.

I paid almost $3k in march and I have another one due in December for half that amount.

Comment

wow.

you pay almost as much in taxes as I pay in rent.

Comment

Working...
                              X