• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baghdad Stampede Kills Hundreds

Holy crap.

CNN says:
    Stampede in Baghdad: 635 dead

At least 635 people killed and 237 injured after Shiite pilgrims stampede while on a bridge near a mosque in northeastern Baghdad, police say.

Witnesses said there was panic after screams there was a suicide bomber, with hundreds falling to their deaths in the Tigris River after a railing on the bridge collapsed.

Apparently a few mortars were fired into the crowd and then the rumour about a suicide bomber started spreading.

This is crazy. 5 suicide bombers in the middle of the crowd would've killed less people than this single rumour.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

And the rumor was probably a sarcastic joke

Comment

Holy ****.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Unbelievable

Comment

[troll]Please , don't distract people from the New Orleans thing . They have the time for only one disaster at a time , and only NO matters , because it's in the USA .[/troll]

But more seriously , who here thinks that this will be covered in any real detail for any length of time ? Isn't the US media supposed to be totally centred on comparatively trivial things ( like that missing girl thing ( note that I am not trivialising the New Orleans flood ) ) as long as they're in the USA , and will mostly ignore even very important/large-scale events if they're outside ? I wager this will get some coverage for some time , then the media will return to NeOr , and stay there , sensationalising human suffering until the both the audience and the sufferers get sick of it .

Comment

It's Bush's fault.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Actually, in a very weird, twisted way, it is.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Six posts until the first off-topic rant. God I love this place.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                    [troll]Please , don't distract people from the New Orleans thing . They have the time for only one disaster at a time , and only NO matters , because it's in the USA .[/troll]

But more seriously , who here thinks that this will be covered in any real detail for any length of time ? Isn't the US media supposed to be totally centred on comparatively trivial things ( like that missing girl thing ( note that I am not trivialising the New Orleans flood ) ) as long as they're in the USA , and will mostly ignore even very important/large-scale events if they're outside ? I wager this will get some coverage for some time , then the media will return to NeOr , and stay there , sensationalising human suffering until the both the audience and the sufferers get sick of it .
                    You live in India, and you think the loss of the US's major grain shipping port is trivial? What impact will it have in India when world grain prices increase?
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

More money for Indian farmers?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                        I wager this will get some coverage for some time , then the media will return to NeOr , and stay there , sensationalising human suffering until the both the audience and the sufferers get sick of it .
                        Nah, from now on, this will get coverage forever. As any other event.
                        Blah

Comment

@BeBro.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                            More money for Indian farmers?
                            This isnt sugar or cotton, sandy, i think the economics play out differently. It would hurt grain importing nations. Though grain farmers within those nations might stand to benefit.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I don't think India is a grain importer.

Comment

Working...
                              X