Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy an android? How much would you be willing to spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Last Conformist

You have no idea what they manage to charge teens for ring tones.
    Ther ought to be a tax on ring tones to provide free acoustic insulation for all public facilities.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I'd probably pay nothing and wouldn't want one if it was handed to me for free.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Why?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why would I want one? I don't find cleaning/laundry particularly demanding, cooking can be enjoyable and if I want companionship, I'll seek it from an actual person or pet rather than a machine. In the meantime, if it's a lower-tech one like a Roomba, it's probably not going to do as good a job as me or my wife would and would just take up space. If it's ultra-high tech a la i Robot, then it's just kind of creepy. You might as well ask "how much would you pay to buy a friend"?
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

If someone gave you one for free, you could always sell it.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I dont know where I would put it, I would feel guilty making it sleep under the stairs
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Cherry 2000
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Gynoid babes are better than alien babes. Definitely.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I know few hot vulcans.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                      Cherry 2000
                      was a great film and sad too.
                      hopefuly the religious right(?) can get all bothered about androids too and then.....oh no the east will still make them, but atleast they'll be 'cuddly' androids - not the terminator kind.
                      Darn i just want the old days back(of mud and hard work and being happy about it) and androids are not the olden days

Death to androids
                      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

They're not alive!

Comment

don't discriminate against them on those grounds - you dont need to be aware of your actions to cause pain and suffering.
                          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                            I used to have a big white truck type thing in the 80's(i cant remember its name), that you punched numbers into a keypad and it would go off on its set route.
                            ROBIE!!

I had one that I used to program to go into my parents' room at 4AM and play loud alarms. I was such an annoying child.
                            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

holy hell! no mine wasn't as freaky as that evil monster. It looked like a futeristic truck, something you'd get on a sci-fi tv show - had tracks and no human features.

Anyway great pic

and this article shows where it will all begin, then the squirrels will get evil red eyes and do for us - dont say i didnt warn you

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

i dont usually advocate rodent killing - but death to android squirrel

Comment

Re: Would you buy an android? How much would you be willing to spend?

Originally posted by DanS
                                Does anybody on Poly have a pet dog Aibo (~$2,000) or a vacuum cleaner Roomba ($300)?
                                No, but I get to work on one in my project course this year.

Alan is a new project supervised by Dr. Frank Maurer, Dr. Joerg Denzinger and Dr. Ehud Sharlin. Alan is a robotic partner for software engineering (SE) agile development teams based on the newest model of Sony's Aibo robot dog. We are currently looking for three students to help us develop Alan in the framework of a CPSC 502/503 project course.

We want Alan to take part in the SE meetings as a team member (or mascot), seating and walking on the meeting table. Alan will have to be attentive: it will record and efficiently document everything that occurs in the meeting, both physical and virtual events and information. Alan's physical attributes will enable it to closely follow the flow of the meeting, aurally and visually, and to an extent even to control it, for example, by physically gesturing and asking (or barking at) the attendees to listen to each other and to speak in their turn when a debate becomes hot. Alan's virtual presence will allow it to follow the digital information being presented in its origin form, for example, by directly accessing the PowerPoint slides, or the code samples, to document the meeting methodically, summarizing who said what and when, and allowing the information to be efficiently sorted and stored for future reference.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X