just played AC for the last time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just played AC for the last time

sorry, couldn't resist this copycat thread.

But it makes me wonder. When will I finish playing this game? Surely it isn't realistic to be playing this game 20 or 30 years from now is it? Eventually our computers will break down, and we won't be able to find machines to run this game. I'm sure ebay has old computers, but eventually those will dry up.

I was thinking of donating my old computer to some charity. but on second thought, maybe I'll keep it. I know it runs the game. And my current computer runs the game as well. I'd like to keep it that way.

gb2 ot

Fake edit: SMAC will live forever as long as we can introduce a new generation to it through the magic of modding.

Comment

Well, if our computers breakdown and new computers don't work, I'm sure some enterprising programmer will develop an emulator just has been done for Atari, SNES and other consoles. Granted a console is easier to emulate, but the code for emulating Wintel machines is already in the market (SoftPC, VMWare, et. al.)

Comment

Date: Aug 12, 2015

Mrs Kinjiru: "Dammit Mr. Kinjiru, why did you go out and spend our mortgage payment on that new Communicator when your old ones works just fine?"

Mr Kinjiru: "But honey, I need it for work, the CSD (chrystalline storage device) is dense enough to handle all my work files, our family budget, and our vacation holos."

Mrs. Kinjiru: "Don't give me that crap, you just want to run the damn SMAC emulator don't you!"

Mr Kinjiru: "Yes dear..."

Comment

SMAC is very much slowly becoming like chess, it's an old game but people still enjoy playing it.

THAT is the test of a true game. How old is chess? Old. SMAC is like that.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Ummm, no, SMAC can't really be compared to Chess.

More like TradeWars, originally developed for mainframe computers almost 30 years ago. It doesn't run on the same code now, obviously, but the game has been turned into a MMOG.

For SMAC to survive it must change.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I just got an original ed off Ebay for the manual!

As long as ebay exists, it will go on!

Comment

This game will live nearly forever.

Some games just don't die. ZZT (from where I derive my name and avatar), SMAC, Liero. But I digress.
                #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

for the last time -- shudders--

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: just played AC for the last time

Originally posted by Dis
                    sorry, couldn't resist this copycat thread.

But it makes me wonder. When will I finish playing this game?
                    Surprised someone hasn't said this already, but, "when they pry the mouse from my cold, dead fingers....". I'll have a smile on my face, my family will be relieved to know that I died happy, and at my eulogy they will read, "Lord Darsnan, one last time, led the Gaians to victory over the rival Factions of Planet......".

D

Comment

Re: Re: just played AC for the last time

Originally posted by Darsnan

Surprised someone hasn't said this already, but, "when they pry the mouse from my cold, dead fingers....". I'll have a smile on my face, my family will be relieved to know that I died happy, and at my eulogy they will read, "Lord Darsnan, one last time, led the Gaians to victory over the rival Factions of Planet......".

D
                      I would think your proudest moments would relate to the creation of some fabulous maps and some very creative challenges
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Re: just played AC for the last time

Originally posted by Darsnan

D
                        you must have an understanding family then.

My family would lament I wasted my entire life playing silly computer games.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: just played AC for the last time

Originally posted by Dis
                          you must have an understanding family then.
                          My wife gave me a computer as an engagement gift. I'm a geek (or techy nerd), feel completely comfortable as such, and don't try to hide it. My hobby is AC CMN'ing and Creation, which my family understands and supports.

Originally posted by Dis
                          My family would lament I wasted my entire life playing silly computer games.
                          To me (and to most SMAC(X) players) this is much more than a "silly computer game".....

D

Comment

of course, but my family does not feel that way.

Comment

Change families!
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X