Civilization in the classroom - BBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization in the classroom - BBC

Noticed this article the other day, not sure if anybody else saw it on the BBC.

In short, the article debates the use of computer games as educational tools, one of which is our very own Civilization.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

How I wish I could have played Civ all day at school ..

Honest mum, my teacher said I had to play this game for 24 hours non-stop as my homework

I wonder if that means my work would stop blocking Apolyton as a GAMES website .. most annoying
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Europa Universalis increased my awareness of (European) history more than Civ ever did. I prefer board/card games as they can teach you a lot in terms of understanding people and 'playing' them to your advantage.

Either way, games in schools are good for the applied thinkers.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Civ tends to give you more of a perspective of how the balance of technology, military and growth all mixed in with other groups of people's happened.. Its also very good for kids to hear about ancient civilizations, think of science as a process of building upon existing sciences (dependancy).. Im sure there is a whole load more that can be said about what is beneficial.
      "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

The year-long project is being backed by the games giant Electronic Arts (EA)

leads to...
        Games like The Sims provide opportunities to experiment

what does one learn from playing with digital barbie dolls?
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
          what does one learn from playing with digital barbie dolls?
          anatomy?

hehe
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

That small doorways lead to people forgetting they were hungry in the first place?
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Civ for teaching history.

The Sims will just teach them to not have real goals, muck about, and generally waste their lives.

Comment

Civ is good to show how a good balance of economics, politics, tech, and propaganda can lead you to world domination.,.. which, we all know, is everyones ultimate goal

Sims, however, teaches you how to annoy ppl (and is lame)
                Monkey!!!

Comment

civ at school - awesome
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

Civ in school is good, EU2 in school would be awesome.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Actually, a case can be mode for the Sims teaching how to effectively organise ones time and cashflow so as not to starve while also paying off rent. And that babies need to be fed every so often if they are to survive.

What good is learning history if one doesn't survive long enough to become a part of it?
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Civ is good for education. It teaches you to suck up to people/countries bigger than you are and to crush people/countries who are below you.
                        MWHAHAHAHA
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I see students not missing a game class, keeping quite, not getting addicted to drugs...membership to civanon growing by leaps and bounds
                          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Civ at school is good. Civ at work is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                              I see students not missing a game class, keeping quite, not getting addicted to drugs...membership to civanon growing by leaps and bounds
                              Yeah, they can get addicted to Civ instead. That should bode well for homework productivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X