Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't see faction modifiers when selecting faction!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't see faction modifiers when selecting faction!

I recently got an inexplicable urge to play SMAC again, but unfortunately I couldn't find my game CDs. However, I checked one of my old hard drives and found that I had SMAC and SMACx complete installed on it, so I transferred the folder to my current hard drive and booted SMAC up.

Everything works, but I could have sworn that when selecting a faction there were buttons to change between the faction leader quote and the faction modifiers (like +1 planet and stuff like that). For some reason, these buttons are absent and I can't see what the modifiers are before starting the game.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and is there a way to fix it? Does it have anything to do with my not having a CD? Thanks

Are you perhaps thinking of the faction editor? Look for a file named facedit.exe in your main SMAC folder. Run the program. Is that what you meant?
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Don't you have them memorized?

I know what you're talking about, and, IIRC, the button is present in SMAX, but not SMAC. It may have been present in some older version of SMAC.
      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
      -BBC news

Comment

Fixed it!

I found my old SMAC CD and was able to do a new install. Looks like the "help" button I was looking for shows up in regular SMAC, which is good, since I never cared for SMACx much anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by JuffoWup
          since I never cared for SMACx much anyhow.
          Heretic !! Burn him at the stake.

If you like the balance of the original factions, might I recommend Smax using the originals. The only other complaint might be the addition of some overpowered SPs-- just don't build them and enjoy the challenge of fighting an AI which has the CBA for instance
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

Heretic !! Burn him at the stake.

If you like the balance of the original factions, might I recommend Smax using the originals. The only other complaint might be the addition of some overpowered SPs-- just don't build them and enjoy the challenge of fighting an AI which has the CBA for instance
            I agree

Comment

Sadly, the button also disappears when you update classic SMAC to version 5.0 with the WinXP patch. When applied to classic SMAC, the patch also introduces some of the SMAX graphics and text passages (e. g. "Planetfall").

Comment

Working...
              X