Clear All

• Only just noticed - Sorry.

Jan 1504 resent to rickety.

Game on!
    So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
    Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

• How very strange. Not only did I have the turn after all, I had the turn for Paddy already as well. I did not, however, have a sent turn email for Paddy.

Thus I must bow and scrape and beg everyone's forgiveness, and plead those vagueness hormones I seem to produce every time I produce offspring

Btw, I would like your opinion on something, as you all seem like well-balanced individuals of worldly stature. I have been offered a job at a national level organisation, one of the peak bodies in my specialty (water resources). All very well, but the cons are:
      - I am well known at my present workplace and yet they still seem to want to keep me around
      - I enjoy the company of my present work mates and boss
      - it would mean a $10K pa pay cut (or a one eighth, if you prefer, after having just been given a hefty pay rise to encourage me to stay )

On the other hand, I'm getting a little bored with water utility work. I've been at it for 8 years now.

Waddya reckon?

Jan 1504 to Paddy

Comment

• 1. no save here yet
        2. stay where you are
        3. send 10K to us
        4. we will send you an amusing item each every week to keep you from being too bored
        Attached Files
        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
        I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Google told me I ought to change.
          Attached Files

Comment

• at Paddy.

I have taken a 15% pay cut in order to get a better job. The job I had wasn't bad but I didn't see a long future in it and I didn't think I was actually making a difference (although I thought differently later). Do you think you will become bored in your new job as well? If so, it might be just as well to stay in water resources.
            Formerly known as Masuro.
            The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

• It would still be in water resources, but in a national sphere rather than a local one, with more emphasis on policy and less on administration. I may well become bored in the new one, probably will I imagine, it's just a matter of how long it takes. As for making a difference, that is a primary attraction, although it is questionable as to whether it will actually be the case. Only one way to find out really.

Comment

• hope all goes well

will send bank details for payment later

Tranq Bay, to Masuro, July 1504 AD
                Attached Files
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricketyclik
                  It would still be in water resources, but in a national sphere rather than a local one, with more emphasis on policy and less on administration. I may well become bored in the new one, probably will I imagine, it's just a matter of how long it takes. As for making a difference, that is a primary attraction, although it is questionable as to whether it will actually be the case. Only one way to find out really.
                  Ric, given that I'm a capitalist b*****d who is about to change jobs in 2 weeks time with an obscene pay rise (not the main reason of course), I have no idea why you would want to change jobs when:
                  1. You're taking a 12.5% pay cut
                  2. It's essentially the same industry
                  3. You feel that you will become bored in the new job anyway
                  4. You enjoy working with, and presumably the company of, your present colleagues - don't underestimate the importance of a happy work environment

However before passing judgement, if you'd like an informed "worldly" opinion, I'd be interested in knowing the following:
                  1. What sector is each job in - public or private
                  2. You mention local vs national sphere - does this mean federal water resources vs ACT, or something different?
                  3. To me, "more emphasis on policy rather than administration" implies the new position is more management level and therefore has greater long-term promotion potential - whata are your thoughts on this
                  4. How is it exactly that you feel you will be able to "make a difference" with the new organisation
                  5. Although I don't profess to understand the Australian water resources industry, I do know that NSW and presumably ACT have major issues facing them vis a vis current and future shortages, sources of supply and controversial water treatment methods such as desalination/sewage treatment. How will the different possible outcomes of these debates affect the job you currently have and the new job, if at all?

and finally, and quite importantly IMHO......

What specifically are your qualifications or (interests) that restrict you to working in the water resources industry. Australia has ahuge skill shortage and you may find this is a perfect time to transport your career to another industry if your qualifications and experience lend themselves to such a move.

Anyway, just a few rambling thoughts to digest

Comment

• The Hojo have not removed their units from my lands as I requested. I take this to be a declaration of war. Remove them immediately if you do not wish war with the Uesugi people.
                    Formerly known as Masuro.
                    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

• Wow, Aqualung, what a great reply! Here are some responses...

Originally posted by Aqualung71

Ric, given that I'm a capitalist b*****d who is about to change jobs in 2 weeks time with an obscene pay rise (not the main reason of course), I have no idea why you would want to change jobs when:
                      1. You're taking a 12.5% pay cut
                      1. It's still more than I really need.

2. It's essentially the same industry
                      Way different focus - see below.

• You feel that you will become bored in the new job anyway
                    I suspect that is the case for 99.9% of jobs.

• You enjoy working with, and presumably the company of, your present colleagues - don't underestimate the importance of a happy work environment
                  • A very good point indeed.

However before passing judgement, if you'd like an informed "worldly" opinion, I'd be interested in knowing the following:
                    1. What sector is each job in - public or private
                    1. Existing is a privatised utility, so public service work culture, but the board is pushing for more and more profits, more "productivity", which is measured in financial return rather than quality of service. I signed up to provide a public service. The new one is thoroughly public.

2. You mention local vs national sphere - does this mean federal water resources vs ACT, or something different?
                    That's basically right, but in the utility we deal only with connected customers and regulators, whereas with the new one we deal with the Federal goverment, 5 state governments, and industry and community interest groups.

• To me, "more emphasis on policy rather than administration" implies the new position is more management level and therefore has greater long-term promotion potential - whata are your thoughts on this
                  • That is not the correct interpretation. The organisation has more of an emphasis on policy, whereas I would be moving down from management into more hands on technical work. From there I anticipate moving back up into a more managerial role over time. I am comfortable with both.

• How is it exactly that you feel you will be able to "make a difference" with the new organisation
                  • As an institution it is responsible for regulating several major rivers and their catchments across south east Australia. It is a complex, over-allocated system with many options for management strategies, whereas the ACT system is simple and presently well within its capacity.

• Although I don't profess to understand the Australian water resources industry, I do know that NSW and presumably ACT have major issues facing them vis a vis current and future shortages, sources of supply and controversial water treatment methods such as desalination/sewage treatment. How will the different possible outcomes of these debates affect the job you currently have and the new job, if at all?
                  • Although the ACT's problems are over-stated, it has meant my rapid advancement and demand for my opinions in recent years. This would apply to a greater extent in the new job, as the institution's entire focus is exactly on these issues (although Canberra and Adelaide are the only major cities which draw the water it is responsible for, a vastly greater sum is used for irrigation and power generation).

and finally, and quite importantly IMHO......

What specifically are your qualifications or (interests) that restrict you to working in the water resources industry. Australia has ahuge skill shortage and you may find this is a perfect time to transport your career to another industry if your qualifications and experience lend themselves to such a move.
                    I could probably move, but at the moment water is quite an interesting field to be in. Also, I like the idea of building up a vast amount of experience, knowledge and wisdom in the one field. It could potentially lead to fame and fortune

Anyway, just a few rambling thoughts to digest
                    And very good ones at that.

Comment

• struth, I just wanted the 10 K
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

• The Hojo are merely passing through Uesegi territory, they mean no harm

Jul 1504 to rickety

Comment

• July 1504 to Paddy

Comment

• no sign of the save here
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Resent

Comment

• Working...
                              X