No announcement yet.

China threatens to nuke hundreds of cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see why they wouldn't keep trading with us. Unless you think the US would embargo both China and Europe...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So a hardline Chinese general blusters..wow.

Cause you know that makes it Chinese policy, just like when gen. Boykin said we are fighting a good Christian war that made it US policy....

In terms of the actual use of nukes, I personally don;t see why the Chinese would not seriously contemplate tactical nukes vs. US carrier groups in the open sea-a double hiroshima sized bomb would not spread radioactivity very far, the chance of civilian collateral damage is low, and you take a US carrier out of battle, even if you don;t sink it (which would probably only happen with a direct hit, or an underwater blast right under it).
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

No, the general was saying that if the U.S. started bombing Chinese cities, China would not be able to stop the attack by conventional means so the only option would be to strike first with nukes.

BUT, China has a specific policy not to be the first to use nukes.
        1) That's internally inconsistent.

2) As previously mentioned, the Chinese consider their ships and aircraft, not to mentioned Taiwan, their territory. So you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

Wrong, he says that if the U.S. intervenes when PRC decides to finally destroy the democracy on Taiwan that the PRC's only chance is to mutally destroy the U.S. A crude bluff, only surpassed by your crude attempt to make it seem perfectly normal and harmless.

No, it's a realistic appraisal of Chinese military power. The general specifically said that China is weak relative to U.S. military might and that leaves it with limited options.

"War logic" dictates that a weaker power needs to use maximum efforts to defeat a stronger rival, he said, speaking in fluent English. "We have no capability to fight a conventional war against the United States," Zhu said. "We can't win this kind of war."

His comment about all cities east of Xian being destroyed is a reference to U.S. carrier power. Obviously, US nukes could destroy any city, but carrier aircraft would only be able to hit cities on the coast areas.

He also said that he does not expect a war between China and the US.

"He said he mainly meant to emphasize that both the United States and China were prone to "misjudging each other's intentions" and that he did not expect that tensions between the two countries would lead to war."

Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

That is not yet the case. If things continue on it will be, but right now it just means pissing everyone off by cutting non-discretionary spending by a 3rd to a half.
            Follow through with your thinking.

What happens to the US economy if the US government cuts its spending by 33-50%?

The sudden decrease in spending creates recessionary effects.

It's basic economics.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

1) That's internally inconsistent.

2) As previously mentioned, the Chinese consider their ships and aircraft, not to mentioned Taiwan, their territory. So you're wrong.

Okay, I'll give a Kuci response.

1) Your thinking is misguided.

2) As previously mentioned, Zhu is a Chinese general.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

doh! of course a young axel rose, but definately him.
                yep axel, not Janick Gers of Iron Maiden (who I think you were thinking of)

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  So a hardline Chinese general blusters..wow.

Cause you know that makes it Chinese policy, just like when gen. Boykin said we are fighting a good Christian war that made it US policy....

In terms of the actual use of nukes, I personally don;t see why the Chinese would not seriously contemplate tactical nukes vs. US carrier groups in the open sea-a double hiroshima sized bomb would not spread radioactivity very far, the chance of civilian collateral damage is low, and you take a US carrier out of battle, even if you don;t sink it (which would probably only happen with a direct hit, or an underwater blast right under it).
                  Do their missiles even have capability of hitting a moving target?

First you need some radar planes to find the damn carrier (without getting shot down first)

Comment

I've always liked the term Splendid Second Strike.

Incidentally, the US has Splendid Second Strike capacity against the Chinese, I'm sure. What with our much larger arsenal and all...
                    B♭3

Comment

You guys are wusses. If it's their hudnreds of millions or mine, I go for theirs.

Comment

Arranging your points in the same why I do is somehow supposed to mock me?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Do their missiles even have capability of hitting a moving target?
                          Yes, they do. You would not use IRBM's (itermidiate ballistic missiles) but regular anti-ship missiles modified to carry nukes, or nuclear torpedos.

The point of nukes is you don;t have to be particulalrly accurate. Besides, the very threat of it would force the US to think twice and keep its ships a bit further from China's landbased aircraft, thus lessening the impact of US planes.

First you need some radar planes to find the damn carrier (without getting shot down first)
                          I am pretty sure the Chinese have some rudemintary AWACS type planes, or have bought older Russian systems.

I wonder just how fast the Chinese are advancing in basic electronics- its one industry they are building a good foundation in.

Comment

Could you at least answer me serious and tell me why Chinese ships in the Taiwan straight and other places would be considered "chinese soil" and cause for nuclear reataliation against the U.S.? If the U.S. simply sunk the PLAN, wouldn't it be against "war logic" to respond with a nuclear strike against U.S. targets?
                            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Where the hell did the general ever say China would consider a nuclear attack if it's ships were attacked?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                                Where the hell did the general ever say China would consider a nuclear attack if it's ships were attacked?
                                Paragraph 3 of the Financial Times Coverage:

“If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition on to the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons,” said General Zhu Chenghu.

Gen Zhu was speaking at a function for foreign journalists organised, in part, by the Chinese government. He added that China's definition of its territory included warships and aircraft.
                                If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                                X