No announcement yet.

PROBLEM: Raw Source Code Files Missing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROBLEM: Raw Source Code Files Missing!

Hi guys, I cant find source code files, the 8mb one. The links seem to be dead.

Those two. Where can I find the source code?

Its now on a SVN server you gotta contact kaan
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Ah... but why not put them on the main page like it was before?
      I downloaded them like 2 years ago, back then I didnt know any VC++ so I just deleted them, but now I think I can compile the project lol.

Comment

Indeed I would prefer if the links would still work.

And I also would prefer to have an anonymous read only SVN access, for those that want just to have a look on the source code.

However in this thread I described how to get access.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

i cant afford to give anon access to the svn server, im afraid it will take too much bandwith and it will open up for warez distribution on the server.
          maybe it can happen when i get things sorted with the webserver, but that is not on my todo list at the moment.

Comment

In that case
            Maizaika since you have some of the old code, you may know what you are looking for specifically after maybe downloading the latest source online (in alteredfiles) we could post some of the new files? (although I'd hate to have mixed version out there)
            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by kaan
              and it will open up for warez distribution on the server.
              I don't get this part, if it is read only then everyone should be able to retrieve the files, but not be able to add anything or modify it.

Currently we have a problem with the accessibility of the code. If anyone wants to access it, (s)he must ask you to grant access. That's diffrent to other projects with have anonymous read only access.

I think this is a problem, as it hinders people to explore the code.

In the past we had the source code packages, noone had to ask me or anyone else to download them.

Maybe I should pack the latest source including the .SVN folders and put them into the APolyton directory so that we can see how many downloads it gets. However this solution isn't optimal.

-Martin

Comment

Martin: yea, that'd be great if you could make the source code available to everyone.

E: actually, I dont have any old code left, I deleted all of it 2 years ago... I specifically wanted just the raw code. Of course the more modified bug-free code I get, the better. But I dont suggest that I should use the fruits of your labour. The original version would be fine. It's just for pesonal use , just like it says in EULA.

If 8mb is a problem to store on your webserver, then I can spare some space on my website and use it as a distant storage. But I think there should be easier solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

I don't get this part, if it is read only then everyone should be able to retrieve the files, but not be able to add anything or modify it.
                  The case is that i grant write access to anyone who ask and if i combine that with anon read then anyone could very easyly set up my server as a distribution point for any kind of download. when you see the small risc of that and combine it with the 1 gigabit internet connection that the server sits on then it would only take a few hours to put me out of business permanetly. i simply cannot afford to take that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by kaan
                    The case is that i grant write access to anyone who ask and if i combine that with anon read then anyone could very easyly set up my server as a distribution point for any kind of download. when you see the small risc of that and combine it with the 1 gigabit internet connection that the server sits on then it would only take a few hours to put me out of business permanetly. i simply cannot afford to take that chance.
                    That's the real problem with anonymous read access you wouldn't need to grant access to everyone who asks. In fact other projects only grant access to people who did serious work for the project. And the rest of the world has to deal with the people who have write access.

However in the end it is your server and it is your decission that you cannot bare the risk. That we have to accept.

And I guess it is also too late, by the way how many people have now access?

Originally posted by Mazaika
                    Martin: yea, that'd be great if you could make the source code available to everyone.

If 8mb is a problem to store on your webserver, then I can spare some space on my website and use it as a distant storage. But I think there should be easier solutions.
                    That's not a question of web space rather a question of putting clean code into the pack, currently there is something in the code on the server that causes some crashes and a serious AI misbehaviour bug. Well I seem to have found everything, but I didn't test the latest revision, as my working copy runs now and I can continue the stuff I was working on.

And another question is whether I should do a SVN or a non SVN version. I mean the version that already includes all the SVN directories or a bare version.

-Martin

Comment

Well, if it's gonna take u lots of time to pack up the new code, then u can just put the original. But in total I think there should be 2 versions, the original and the new one. Although, in order to avoid chaotic distribution of versions, its probably best to have just one final version instead of a million partial ones. But the original (one that compiles) should always be available. Because if you look at it, its really hard to decide which changes are appropriate, it is a strictly subjective matter and everyone has their own preference.
                      So what makes a perfect civ game? there is a discussion open for it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                        And another question is whether I should do a SVN or a non SVN version. I mean the version that already includes all the SVN directories or a bare version.
                        There's no purpose in distributing the .svn directories. Use svn export to make a version which lacks them, and also lacks any intermediate files lying around in your working copy - that's what it's designed for.

Comment

Well, if it's gonna take u lots of time to pack up the new code, then u can just put the original.
                          That isn't the problem here.

But the original (one that compiles) should always be available.
                          That's the problem here. Espeacilly the remark in parentheses. At first the original code doesn't compile as it. And second the code or better the project files in the respository don't compile as it, either. However that should be a matter of just a few days. And of course an updated readme would be helpful as well.

-Martin

Comment

Well, I got the source code from my friend. I'll now try to compile it. Which will take me probably much more time than for you, Martin.
                            well, my first reaction is wow, that is a huuuge project. It seems like there were 100 programmers working for at least a year. And at first it seems that they have lots of flaws in their code. They were probably running into deadline... Although I dont understand, why did they implement an inside language slic. I mean it seems like a waste of time.

Anyway, Martin, I'll be checking this forum regularly, whenever u'll be ready with the code. I still want to put a nice link on ur website to attract new programmers. If you need my help, im always here.

Comment

Although I dont understand, why did they implement an inside language slic. I mean it seems like a waste of time.
                              Well, you can find a post by one of the programmers here on Apolyton saying something along the lines of "Well, we're programmers, so we expect everyone else to want to be, too". But, just looking at what has come of SLIC in all the mods, it should be obvious how sensible an idea it was. Without SLIC, CTP2 would be scarcely more moddable than Civ3.

Comment

Working...
                              X