SpriteGen Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpriteGen Questions

Merc, SpriteGen is so-o-o-o-o close to the sine qua non utility for ToT. What would it take to make the following change?

Attached Files
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

I had a quick look at my code last night... Took me a while to figure out how it worked.
    It should be pretty easy to add that. I'll see what I can do later tonight.

Oh wait... It shouldn't be too hard adding that different option anyway... I haven't looked hard enough at my code to see if being able to set the height lower than 64 will cause any problems.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

ToT itself can handle shorter sprites. The few squat ones I used civsprite to make for EAv1 gave no problem...well, except for the fortress graphic. IIRC, that was only serious for heights under 40.

So, this means you'll have a final version in an hour or two?

Btw, if I'm being too obscure to nonCivSprite users, this change would allow you to change the default height of a ToT unit icon. Currently the height is set so that the unit key obscures a good chunck of the top third of the square above the unit. I'd like to experiment with adjusting icon heights so that the bar lies a few pixels above or below that.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
        ToT itself can handle shorter sprites. The few squat ones I used civsprite to make for EAv1 gave no problem...well, except for the fortress graphic. IIRC, that was only serious for heights under 40.
        Yes, I know... But I'm not sure if my program can deal with them without needing any further modification. With shorter heights the unit will be cut short and I have to take some height off rather than add to it. That might need some extra work.

So, this means you'll have a final version in an hour or two?
        Not bloody likely. You catch me at a rather inconvenient time. I'm busy with, um, all sorts of things (and that's not gonna change soon).
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I might be catching up with you. Is the issue how you read each icon in units.bmp? Is it a nested loop based on pixel offsets? Reading from the top left going down, assuming a set height and width? If so, I can see how this is going to be a pain.

[Edit]Oh wait, you can still read a conventional file, but it's the writing that's tricky. I thinks it's safe to assume that the user designs the icons for the right height. If it's cropped because he didn't, then I guess he'll learn. Is it as straight forward as assigning the upper limit in a for/next to a variable?[/Edit]

Want any help? I didn't say that!
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Yes, you're right... The "input" will always be 64x64 icons...

I just had a look at my code again. I'll need to have another look when I have more time... Bitmaps store the image upside down so I also need to adjust for that, and all the flipping and going back and forth through arrays is making my head spin...

But yes, it'll probably only mean changing/adding 4 or 5 lines of code.

I can send you the source code if you want...

Comment

I don't want to impose, but that would be a big help. Multidimensional arrays are enough to make anyone's head spin.
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Ahh.. multidimensional arrays... the joy...
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                X