Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resync causes crash

I got the following problem:
    I am trying to play CTP2 (no expansion or mod, version 1.1) over LAN (2 players against computer).
    The game works fine but after a while it starts to resync. I tried to play 2 times. The first time it started to resync at 800BC, the second time at 300AC.
    After almost every turn there is a resync and suddenly the client crashes (first time: third resync caused crash, second time: first resync) when the server ends his turn. The Windows Desktop is shown and the error message says memory could not be read (sorry, i'm german and don't know the english message).
    The server continues without problems.
    I have a saved the game 2 turns before the game crashes and it happens every time I load the game. I tried using 2 normal PCs and my Notebook and my PC. Nothing worked.

The drivers of all computers are up to date!
    PC1:
    P4 2.4 Ghz
    Geforce 4 TI 4600
    512 Mb RAM
    Asus Onboard LAN Adapter (100MBit)

PC2:
    P4 2.4 Ghz
    Geforce 6600GT (AGP)
    512 Mb RAM
    Asus Onboard LAN Adapter (100Mbit)

Notebook:
    Intel Centrino 1.7Ghz
    ATI Radeon Mobility 9600Pro Turbo
    512 Mb RAM
    Dell Integrated LAN (100MBit)

Can someone help me?

btw: Is this Apolyton Pack/Patch a real Patch or is it just a mod that replaces the AI.Does it contain any bugfixes?

Check out this question in the FAQ thread, also quoted below.

Q63 Why does my Multiplayer save game sometimes get corrupted and wont re-load and crash when we try to resume?
    A63 One possible reason for this is because when you saved the Multiplayer game a player is terraforming on a tile.

To avoid this bug DONT save a Multiplayer game (that you plan to load later) when anyone is terraforming.

Q64 Sometimes when i reload in multiplayer the game will resynch EVERY turn, for a few turns.
    A64 This is because a player was building a tile improvement when the game was saved, and the game will resynch until the tile improvement is finished next time you load the game.

Dont save the multiplayer game when someone is in the middle of terraforming or building a tile improvement.
    These are the two biggest causes of corrupt save games and continuous resynchs. Ive also heard of problems with using many forts, and another problem using zoom can cause crashes, although ive never experienced either myself.

Apolyton Pack is a mod aimed at improving the AI and some game balance issues. Its very unlikely the small amount of general fixes it does contain would help fix your problem.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Thank you for your reply!

Seems that my explanation was not that good!

The crash does NOT only appear when the game was saved. The second time I played a LAN game (I started a new game and did not load!) I NEVER saved until 300AC and then it suddenly wrote resync and after the resync CTP2 terminated with the error message.

The save game: The first time I played CTP2 over LAN I played for some time and then saved but I continued without exiting CTP2 and 2 turns later: RESYNC AND CRASH!! (it was the third resync). After loading the game: same thing! It crashed 2 turns later! (I tried to stop doing anything, but this didn't work either)!

Comment

Whats important to remember is that if you crash and then have to reload, if any of the players were building tile improvements or terraforming at the time of the crash, then you will get the problems mentioned in the FAQ on trying to reload.

These problems do go away, so if you do have a crash and have problems reloading the game, keep trying to reload, because the problems DO go away once tile improvements/terraforming are completed.

Regarding your crashed not related to save game bugs im not sure, unfortunately crashes like this can happen, which is why people are working hard to fix these problems in the Sourcecode Project.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Actually if you could attach your save game to this thread someone could use the savegame to try to reproduce your crash and look at the crashlog using the sourcecode version.

Comment

I never had a crash in a Lan game before. Plenty of resyncs though. Someone else reported a crash before in a Lan game, i can't remember when that was, maybe last year sometime?
            The only thing i can think of is that they like you were using computers with way over the required specs(difficult not to these days) and running XP. I was running on PII 400's(between 2+4)+W98se when i was playing Lan.

How far into the game have you got? I usualy finished/abandoned the game around 1600AD at the latest.
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Sorry, i was busy and had no time to post here.

I got some more information. I tried to copy the saved game to another computer and it worked. So I found out the following:
              I use to computers PC1 and PC2.
              First PC1 ist the server and PC2 the client. The game works perfect for some time and then crashes. The server saves the game and then I copy the saved game to PC2.
              Now: PC2 server, PC1 client (players have to change PCs). Game works again for some time. Then crashes again.
              ->Copy
              ->PC1 server, PC2 client: works again for some time.
              But if I try to continue the game using the same PC as server it crashes as soon as you hit the"end turn" button!

It crashes between 1000BC and 300AD!!

The client had other minor bugs too:
              Trade routes don't work most of the time (when you click on create, the good turns red for a second and then the route is deleted again! You have to try several turns until it works!
              When I click on create route (trade) and the above error occurs the game suddenly says -1 caravans in use and I get one additional available caravan I never built!
              After loading, the client gets no PW for some turns!
              Bonus is gone after loading (explored the worlds->ships move +1)

Comment

All the bugs after your crash sound related to resynching the game. You should attach your save game to this thread so someone can look at it to repeat your bugs and hopefully try and fix them in the sourcecode.

Comment

i got a similar problem, whenever i play ctp2 with my father (both on fast computers running winxp) after a while things start to resynch every turn (not after loading a save, just like that) which leads to the client player not receiving PW, losing science output and in 1 case he even lost a complete discovery. he also crashes occasionally during resynchs.

a problem i have (as host) is that i just crash to desktop after the client ends his turn and the computer is busy with AI turns. after loading predating save it happens at the exact same time again even if i load up a save that goes back several more turns. this starts to happen well into the game, 400+ turns.

we tried the source code pack but for some reason diplomacy is impossible on the host (constantly get the msg i can't create proposals when it's not my turn and/or waiting for a reply even tho neither of the 2 is the case) and also has resynch problems mentioned above. besides that the AI is still awfully stupid and doesn't accept anything unless you threat them with war and have a very strong military.

we also tried Ages of Men but that just crashes maybe 1000 years after start for no apparent reason.

we hoped to get the apolyton pack and/or goodmod to fix some issues but all links are dead on the site. does anyone still have these mods and could possibly mail them?

[edit] ignore that last part, just noticed a link top right on the page which leads to the actual download. going to try the source code with apolyton pack and hope it'll work ok and all. will let you know soon enough hehe
                  [/edit]
                  Last edited by Anahka; July 29, 2005, 11:59.

Comment

well, we've tried using the apolyton pack with the source project build, he keeps crashing on startup saying he misses max_chance_... something i can't quite remember at line 225. after checking the contst file i can't find anything about this so we assumed it doesn't work with anything but the original ctp2.

the apolyton pack is working with the original ctp2 install (with patch 1.11) but the client is resyncing a lot (from early on in the game, no saves loaded) and crashes regularly. much more even than with a totally unmodded ctp2.

we're kinda starting to lose hope on playing this game normally ever again

Comment

Your best bet (and if you read around the forums youll see) is to play multiplayer with the unmodded 1.11 CtP2.

Apolyton packs main improvement is the AI anyway, and you dont need AI in a multiplayer game.

Comment

we host on the other comp now and that seems to be crashing/resyncing less.

one of the reasons we wanted to try this pack is the AI improvement since we play with 6 AI players all the time. unfortunately we haven't noticed (m)any improvement so far tho. example of this is the AI attacking unprovoked and they refuse to sign a cease fire even after nearly wiping them out completely.

Comment

same thing with me.
                          It's a real headache...
                          No-patches/mods on this?

Comment

did you try the latest playtest? most bugs are fixed there...
                            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

got that tip in another thread to. gonna give it a go
                              Ill report back if this solves the problem of the game crashing in LAN.

Comment

Working...
                              X