Too exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too exciting

In what was probably a bad idea, I have just read every single Civ4 News item at apolyton all in one go, from the first hints that a new Civ was being worked on in September 2003, to the very latest smidgen of gossip.

I am now unbearably excited and will have to go and lie down for a bit

and the oaties ate into his brain,..
    /pink floyd

what was probably a bad idea
    probably?!!

that is certifiable madness.

yes, go lie down. and have a [IMG]C:\DATA\Copykids\Damien\Personal\temp\kuci.jpg[/IMG] on me!
    Last edited by Terra Nullius; July 4, 2005, 11:48.
    I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

I'm so EXCITED!

I just can't hide it....

Civ4 now!

Or later... whatever's best.

But no more info please. I dont wanna raise my expectations too much.

Or not. I'm very easy.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I'm in a perpetual state of 'excitement' about what we can mod in civ 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          I'm in a perpetual state of 'excitement' about what we can mod in civ 4.
          Yes! If it turns out to be the case when the SDK addon is released that we really can create a complete AI player... well... words fail me as to how cool that will be. I can see it now... the first stumbling steps as we work out the basics like how to scout with units; how to place cities intelligently; how to 'diplome'; how to plan tech advancement; how to ATTACK AND KILL MUAHAHAHA

I'm sure somewhere like Apolyton will sort out the necessary infrastructure for AI vs AI contests, which will be fun of course - but just imagine the feeling of pride when the AI you wrote beats a real live person!

Comment

Someone's after Sorens' job, it seems.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

"Diplome"? Is that a George W. Bushism? 'Cause I can't find that word in my dictionary.

Anyway, the AI vs. AI idea sounds like a neat idea to try to encourage people to create the 'perfect AI'. (Or at least a 'better AI'.)
              "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

'Diplome' is from the old old board game Diplomacy in which play alternated between two phases, moving pieces around the board (simultaneous movement of all players' pieces following written orders) and the diplomacy which involved talking to other players and being, well, diplomatic The game is set in Europe and play starts shortly before when WW1 historically happened. So eg you might get the players of England France and Russia deciding to form a triple entente - or maybe something completely different would happen.

It's not an easy game to get into, and it's almost impossible to win, but it's enormous fun if you can find 5 or so like-minded friends to learn it with

Anyway, that's where the verb 'diplome' comes from

Comment

I can't even find other players to play 'Axis & Allies' let alone (the seemingly more complex) 'Diplomacy'. It sounds like a fun game.

I can get people to play 'Risk' though.
                  "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

axis & allies by pbem?

I have just have not played in a long time

if so, wana give it a go?
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Maybe at some point, but not now. I've never played anything through e-mail. How do you determine the die rolls?

Player 1: "I just just rolled all 6's again!"
                      Player 2: "Hey! So did I! What are the odds that we'd roll three hundred 6's in a row?"

Comment

Diplomacy had no die rolls. Nothing was random except the player assignments, and even that was usually done with a (mostly) deterministic algorithm.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                          Someone's after Sorens' job, it seems.
                          Yep

Comment

Originally posted by LarryLard
                            It's not an easy game to get into, and it's almost impossible to win, but it's enormous fun if you can find 5 or so like-minded friends to learn it with
                            I wanted to learn ages ago but my old group refused to teach me. I heard that everytime they tried to play fights would break out.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

My excitement for Civ4 is limited. I can't say I await it anxiously. I love, that it is in development and will gladly play it when it comes out. But I would prefer it do be delayed for at least 6 months, maybe a year, in favor of some heavy balancing and bug squashing. I would gladly overpay for a game largely bugfree.

Oh, and weren't it the worms, who ate into his brain?

Comment

Working...
                              X