Continuing after spaceship is built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing after spaceship is built?

I searched the forum and the FAQ, but couldn't find the answer to this question: Will it be possible to continue the game after the spaship for the flight to alpha Centaury has been built, or does the game end definitively at this point?

I'd really like to play without an obligatory end, especially because some of the games for download at Apolyton are this huge; I'm unlikely to win by conquest before somebiody completes the spaceship.

AFAIK, it is possible to continue playing after the spaceship has been built. But you won't score any points.
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

No matter what conditon you win on or lose on, you get a popup that says basically have you had enough or gimme one more turn.

You can then play as long as you feel likem, even if all civs are gone. The score is tracked, but not recorded. IOW F8 will reflect the current numbers.

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

In the meantime I have seen the remarks about the performance of Civ3 with really large maps. My old PC with a 1,4 GHz Athlon won't be able to cope with large maps anyway.

Ah, well, the large maps can wait until I get my next computer.

Comment

You probably can play normal huge maps (160x160) with 16 or so civs and NOT max water without severe pain.

I played a 260x260 on a 1.7GH with lots of water and 24 civs, but some turns were very long.

Comment

"without severe pain" sounds good.

I'll try it, thanks.

Comment

I didn't check last tiem I luanched, but do you HAVE to launch the ship when it is built? Would be nice to run up the score some more and playing after the game is over is kinda like my niece's t-ball game, fun to watch, but loses something when you don't keep score. Besides, even if the score is still tracked, I guess the warrior can't knock the bell any higher
              Poised for conflict at Ground Zero, ready for a war!
              Many nordic Fighting men, their swords and shields all gleam in the sun.
              Attention: All planets of the Solar Federation, we have assumed control.
              http://saveamerica21.tripod.com

Comment

Yep, I'm afraid you have to launch. If you want to run up score, hold off on building the last component.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                  You probably can play normal huge maps (160x160) with 16 or so civs and NOT max water without severe pain.

I played a 260x260 on a 1.7GH with lots of water and 24 civs, but some turns were very long.
                  So I guess that really huuuge maps with only 8 civs is something acceptable for a medium-range machine?
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

At first. But just wait till the AIs that are there fill it with cities.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinG
                      Thanks for your answers.

In the meantime I have seen the remarks about the performance of Civ3 with really large maps. My old PC with a 1,4 GHz Athlon won't be able to cope with large maps anyway.

Ah, well, the large maps can wait until I get my next computer.
                      Sure it will. Your turns might take awhile but they shouldn't be to unreasonable. I was playing on 256 X 256 maps with Celeron 400, and the turns were taking about 20 minutes. With 1400 mhz, I'm guessing 5 to 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Sure it will. Your turns might take awhile but they shouldn't be to unreasonable. I was playing on 256 X 256 maps with Celeron 400, and the turns were taking about 20 minutes. With 1400 mhz, I'm guessing 5 to 10.

And how long did the turns take towards the end of the game? I'm guessing 30 to minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinG

And how long did the turns take towards the end of the game? I'm guessing 30 to minutes.
                          Those times were for end of the game. At least during the Industrial Era, up to Flight. In the Ancient Era they took hardly any time at all. Things started to slow down in the Medieval Era and sort of peaked during Industrial. At the most, I'm guessing 10 minutes a turn by 2050. Long yes, but bearable IMO. From what I've read, they don't get much better with a machine that's faster than your 1400.

Comment

Working...
                          X