Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth?

Does anyone know if Civ4 will also include the 'real world' globe? I always preferred the world maps to the generated ones...

I don't know if one will come out of the box, but since Civ4 is supposed to have powerful modding tools, you will probably have fanmade ones in a few days after release
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Days? Hours, I dare say!
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

One of the beta testers will probably post an Earth map the day before the game is released.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I'll hold out for the master - El Mency.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I am always surprised to see how someone is able to make such good earth maps. It is beyond me in any case :-)

Comment

Let´s hope that the large world maps will also be playable, that really wasn´t the case with CivIII if you hadn´t got a super-ultra-mega-computer... I wanna play with _lots_ of civs on a huge world map!

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker
                Let´s hope that the large world maps will also be playable, that really wasn´t the case with CivIII if you hadn´t got a super-ultra-mega-computer... I wanna play with _lots_ of civs on a huge world map!

Given that Civ4 has less civs and smaller maps than Civ3, this will likely not be the case.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It was said that standard games and maps are smaller, but I thought that the 'supersize me' option would be, with or without support, there for those who wanted.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                    It was said that standard games and maps are smaller, but I thought that the 'supersize me' option would be, with or without support, there for those who wanted.
                    Yes, but it not being "official" implies that the game is unable to run well with large maps (otherwise, why would they leave it out as a standard choice?) and that the game mechanics where not designed with large maps in mind.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I see it as a disclaimer - It may work fine, its just a way of avoiding extra work if it doesn't run to spec.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes, which is basically what I'm saying... you shouldn't expect to it to play any better than Civ3 in this regard. And, if anything, should expect it to be worse since they've toned down the scale to avoid the "extra work" of geting large maps to run to spec.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

No Civ game withut an Earth map, not Civ1, not Civ2 not Civ3.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yes, and both civ 2 and civ 3 had user generated earth maps that were more realistic than the built in ones.

If Marla's still around, I've love to see her Civ 4 earth map based on her Civ 3 earth map.
                            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                            Templar Science Minister
                            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Marla's not played civ in a long time, last I heard.

I'm hoping CivIV will allow ultra-tiny maps, so that I can make a CivIV version of Hexette.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X