How Secure is Paypal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Secure is Paypal?

I do not know wether or not I should trust paypal. What say ye?

Generally good, as long as you're not numb and get caught by one of the phishers...
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

As secure as any other online banking service.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

there is a lot of phishers

I have been caught (they look exactly like a paypal email)

so whjat I would suggest in not click on any paypal emails.. if one shows up, go to paypal by bookmark, and then check things out..

don't click ont he email

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Phishers are easy to spot

They will always ask you to go to some linked site to supply your account and password because of maintenance/testing/etc

Real banks never do that, at least not through e-mail. If they lose your account information they will call you up and ask you to go down to a local branch. Something like that.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

come'on do you honestly believe that paypal will send you an email to log yourself on in order to make some maintenance?
            I have yet to see a company that required their customers to perform maintenance actions in their user accounts... And other claims are even more stupid.. I mean they have access to the database, they can do anything they want anyway, there is no logical reason you have to do a login!

Comment

Paypal has one other major problem - or at least it did as of a couple of years ago. To establish an account I had to supply the number of a functioning bank account, which they credited with a couple of tiny deposits. One problem. If they are hacked, you have no protections against that account being cleaned out via wire transfer. Unlike a regular charge card, where in the US the limit is $50. I ended up using an old Credit Union Account we had less than $10 in. I WOULD NOT use my primary checking or savings account.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                there is a lot of phishers

I have been caught (they look exactly like a paypal email)

so whjat I would suggest in not click on any paypal emails.. if one shows up, go to paypal by bookmark, and then check things out..

don't click ont he email

JM
                Thats good advice.

Paypal is secure as long as you use the same common sense with money as you would in the 'real world'

Comment

paypal doesnt work for poly merc does it?
                  Bunnies!
                  Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                  God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                  'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Paypal took money out of my account, and all I got was this Apolyton PLUS.

Comment

Not lousy T-shirt?

"paypal doesnt work for poly merc does it?"

I can hire mercenaries from 'Poly? Sounds fishy. I doubt they are very efficient...
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

mercendice (sp?) i ment :P
                        Bunnies!
                        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

I started a tiny checking account so I could link it with Paypal for eBay crap. That way, if it does get hacked it's a minor loss.

Comment

Thats all I use mine for, who wants to buy a $10 item, have to write a cheque, post it, wait for it to clear before you can have your stuff.

Comment

Well, I want to sell a bunch of stuff, and I'd like to receive Paypal payments to my checking account, which is why I set this up. You don't need to link Paypal to a bank account if you're paying vendors/sellers.

Comment

Working...
                              X