Apolyton Recipes: BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Recipes: BBQ

BBQ season is coming on strong so list yer recipes.

I don't have any BBQ sauce recipes, so if any of you want to share. Also, what techniques do you use? Preferences? Etc...

I like coal, started with a chimney (no lighter fluid, though I wouldn't rag on someone who uses it).

I generally marinate my meat in beer for 3-4 hours and always start cooking the meat at room temperature.

I generally use Pappy's for my rub, yes store bought. Also, Rib Round Up from SLO (San Louis Obispo) is pretty good. I also use Lawry's Season all once the meat is on the grill; reserve beer marinade and before turning dust with lawry's, turn, hit with beer.

For BBQ sauce I use Sweet Baby Rays, applied to the meat 5-10 minutes before done.

I admit, as someone who likes to grill I really should make-up my own marinades, rubs, and sauces... That is my goal for this summer.

Any advice would be great, as would technique advice.
    Monkey!!!

Sweet Baby Ray's is a damn tastey sauce.

I have my own rub. I prefer a spicy mustard based sauce, but the wife likes sweet ketchup based.

One day I want to try the Northern Alabama mayo based sauce for BBQ chicken.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Alton Brown's Pulled Pork This episode also shows how to make a smoker on the cheap!
      Alton Brown's ribs
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

For one thing, I says "grilling" for cooking over direct flames/heat, and only use the word BBQ for slow smoking from indirect heat.

Jacky D Ribs:
        use whole slabs of pork spare ribs
        marinate 2 to 3 days (in refridgerator) in
        Jack Daniels Tennesse whiskey
        and spices:
        sugar
        brown sugar
        salt
        chilipowder
        garlic powder
        papricka
        ginger
        cinnamon
        allspice
        clove

slow smoke for 2 to 4 hours
        You do not need any sauce

use hickory, pecan, oak or apple wood
        do not use mesquite for smoking, its for grilling. It burn hotter than the other woods, but if used for smoking, it leave a bit of a creosote taste.
        Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; June 11, 2005, 08:56.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

This episode also shows how to make a smoker on the cheap
          I saw that with the terecotta pots, pretty clever Was on just recently

For one thing, I says "grilling" for cooking over direct flames/heat, and only use the word BBQ for slow smoking from indirect heat.
          Me too, that's why I call what I do grilling. BBQ is more of a dry heat cooking with smoke, and smoking is more of a cooking with smoke and less heat. I would consider it all BBQ with each being a subcatagory; grilling, smoking, and true BBQ.

sugar
          brown sugar
          salt
          chilipowder
          garlic powder
          papricka
          cinnamon
          allspice
          clove
          Nice

My wish list is one if the cast iron BBQs so that I can use wood. When I get to a place I am going to be for a while I am building my own.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Since when is winter BBQ season?
            Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

stupid aussie
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Marinated Tri Tip with a blackened dry rub on it is great BBQed. A real Southern California classic along with some clssic carne asada. The king of the BBQ meats has to be ribeye though.

The ribeye should be cold cellored for at least 20 days with a day rub or garlic, black pepper, and a bit of salt. Then BBQ, cut cross grain to the muscle, and serve while juicy and hot. Yum!
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I dont buy bque sauce any more i just make it it taste better anyway
                  Ingredients in that is\
                  ketchup
                  whorcheister sauce\\
                  brown sugar
                  sugar
                  garlic salt or cloves which ever is available
                  thats just for the sauce
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                  "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                  Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                    Since when is winter BBQ season?
                    Winter is of course BBQ season. Who would want to bake under a seething sun and in front of a fire at the same time?

Silly Aussie.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Leg of lamb or
                      Pork Shoulder
                      (These two cuts take smoke in quickly)

Quick water then salt cure first: Soak in Ice water about 15 minutes, then rub with salt on al surfaces and let drain on a rack or in large colender about 10 minutes then lightly rinse with water. (this cure reduces blood components {a great bacterial medium) cleans and salts the surface layers where most of the bacteria start, and increases the water content so that you not need to baste while smoking, they will finish cooking with just below their original liquid content, the perfect juciness.

Marinate (in refridgerator) two to three days in hard cider and barbeque spices: sample blend:
                      sugar
                      brown sugar
                      salt
                      chili powder
                      garlic powder
                      paprika
                      onion powder
                      commino
                      mustrad powder
                      fresh rosemary

Slow smoke 5 to 6 hours
                      (or if lazy hotter and qucker)

The pork will be done through and the lamb with have some pink and red left in the middle
                      Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; June 11, 2005, 08:55.
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

grilled leg of lamb

FAST water cure see above but ONLY 5 minutes in the water

rub all over with yogurt/herb/spice mairnade: chop/blend together
                        Greek style (strained) yogurt
                        mint leaves
                        salt
                        rosmary leaves/needles
                        garlic
                        ground cumin or commino
                        black pepper or pepper sauce
                        marinate 8 hours to 2 days (in refridgerator)

on hot part of grill, grill the skin and fat side until brown
                        turn over and then move to low or indirect fire and grill roast untill medium rare to medium (145*F in center)

Comment

I'm curious . . . . . .

is there any difference between a rub and a marinade?
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Winter is not BBQ season. That just proves how strange polytubbies are. It's a fact that grills do not sell in the winter.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Ah the wonderful world of barbacoa!

As for the sauce, I found out Heinz Mexican Ketchup has a wonderful taste and much better than most of the premade BBQ-sauces from the supermarket (even better than Heinz' own BBQ sauce). I don't know if that is available in the US though.

Comment

Working...
                              X