Rise Of Nations: Rise Of Legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise Of Nations: Rise Of Legends

I saw today Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends coming in spring of 2006.

Anyone think it is worth it?
    Yes as this game is a legend growing stronger
    62.86%
    No I had my fill on T & P
    8.57%
    It should be named Legend of the Fall since it will do just that
    20.00%
    RON's Legendedary Bananarama?
    8.57%
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

I voted for the first choice on impulse. After I voted, I read it closer. Although I do believe RoL will be a good game, I do not believe the franchise series will develop into legendary status, such as the Civ series. I enjoy RoN Gold very much, but it more or less follows the "cookie cutter" mold for RTS games, a la AoE. From my experience, only Paradox offers anything genuine in the RTS genre. I like managing all aspects of an empire, not just resource management and war. The RoN series likely will never offer anything truly immersive, in regards to diplomacy and economic optimization.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

interesting

I applaud Aployton for hosting but a shame alas we never had a huge following

maybe we could if this turns out better?

Time will tell

I do hope it is more than simply enhanced graphics or a few new units or a few civs

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
        I do hope it is more than simply enhanced graphics or a few new units or a few civs
        Knowing Brian Reynolds, it's likely he has some new innovative ideas. Have any features been announced for RoL?
        "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
        I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
        --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

This has nothing to do with Rise of Nations, this is about magic
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
            This has nothing to do with Rise of Nations, this is about magic
            if it does, it wont get my moola, kinda why AOM never aught my fancy

Comment

The first line of the linked article:

ourney to the land of Aio, a world embroiled in an epic battle between the forces of Magic and Technology
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                The first line of the linked article:

ourney to the land of Aio, a world embroiled in an epic battle between the forces of Magic and Technology
                thanks

Comment

The descriptions and screen shots for Rise of Legends mind me of the graphics of Myst meet the concept of Zork Grand Inquisitor and The Longest Journey ("Si, April Ryan!") meets the original Wild Wild West TV series.

AoM? Was that real-time? I generally prefer turn-based games, so I fondly recall the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Above all other fantasy games, when life's commitments permit, I ought to give Master of Magic another go: hopefully my wizardly civilization may flourish a little longer next time. Age of Wonders too gave pleasure.
                  ftp://ftp.sff.net/pub/people/zoetrope/MOO2/
                  Zoe Trope

Comment

Judging solely by the Rise of Legends screenshots, there seem to be a lot of towers and airborne units. This makes me wonder if this might be a game that truly uses 3 dimensions for gameplay, which seems to me to be a very exciting concept. If that's really what they're doing, I'm anxious to see how it's implemented.

As for it being fantasy, that's fine with me. The game is about various units with various capabilities, and whether you call your flying unit a "Bronze Dragon" instead of a "Stealth Bomber" is simply a matter of game "flavor". For what it's worth both flavors seem good to me. When I play war games (which I often do), I like to have some "simulation" aspect to the game, so I can learn something about history and plausible historical "what-ifs" from it. However, games like Civilization, Alpha Centauri, or Rise of Nations work very well as games, and the fact that they teach us nothing about history doesn't spoil my enjoyment at all. They're all essentially fantasy anyway, and sometimes I like my fantasy with elves and dragons included.

All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
                    Last edited by JeffS; November 16, 2005, 13:54.
                    All My Best,

Jeff Sutro

Comment

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Comment

Mmmm magic.

I find that in general strategy games involving magic can be more interesting and strategic, since there aren't suspension of disbelief problems, as in units can be made to work in a way which is good for balance and strategic choice, and there's no realism problem, and in fantasy ooh shiny! usually passes for plausability. In many ways... the real world is too restrictive.

It looks like the world has a certain dark, sinister, atmospheric fantasy look (which rules), rather than silly and goofy magic (which i really don't like).

And I have to say those Citadel things like extremely impressive, the detail is astounding, I wonder though, if those screenshots are representive of the final game(play).

Comment

I'm not into magic and that stuff at all, but it looks cool. Also Master of Magic was one of the best scenarios for Civ2 so this might turn out great too.
                          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I'll probably pick up Rise of Legends. RoN was a good game, if I had known about this site then I probably would have posted here about it.

There aren’t any other games coming out for awhile that interest me, perhaps Homm V but that is a month away and I'll be waiting for some reviews on it.

RoN should be out the 10th/11th of next month. I'll be grabbing the demo sometime before then.

Comment

My first impression of RoL is very good. It uses Rise of Nations and puts a scifi twists. The game is awesome!
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
                              X