X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG: Nascar X - Sandstorm Edition

Nascar 10

Welcome to the tenth round of Nascar Racing. The rules are largely carried over from the previous race, with some modifications, which are labeled with new for clarity.

Concept
    Each player controls a car which has a position on the racing track, the speed it is currently moving at, maximum possible speed, and the direction of movement (8 possible directions - N, NW, W, SW, S, SE, E, NE). The game is turn-based, and each player issues orders at each turn. The object of the game is to be the first across the finish line.

Orders
    Each driver issues orders for each turn. Possible orders are combinations of the following:
    1. Change Speed – The player may choose to change the speed of the car during the turn. However, speed changes my only occur at the beginning or the end of the turn.

1. (A) Accelerate – adds one to current speed. Accelerating at the beginning of the turn will add one move point to the total for that and the following turns. Accelerating at the end of the turn will only affect the consecutive turns, and can be used for example for accelerating out of a corner.
      2. (B) Decelerate – subtracts one from current speed. Breaking at the beginning of the order will slow the car down by one for that and the consecutive turns. Breaking at the end of the order will only affect the consecutive turn and is useful for slowing down for a corner.
      3. (S) Slipstream – If you start a turn directly behind another player and are moving in the same direction, a Slipstream order can be issued at the beginning of the turn, which acts as a free Accelerate.
      4. You may also opt to not change speed during a turn, but not issuing any speed change orders.

Note that you cannot accelerate or break more than two times per turn (although the Slipstream order does not count towards this limit, so increasing your speed by three is possible in this particular case). Note also that you need a Wild Card (WC) to issue a second accelerate or a second break order, however, you may issue an accelerate and a break order at the same turn without using a WC.
    2. Steer – When steering, the direction of the movement of the car is changed by 45 degrees in the appropriate direction, and then the car is moved by one tile in the direction.

1. (L) Left – steer left
      2. (R) Right – steer right
      3. (M) Move – do not change direction

A WC can be used to steer in the same direction more than once, but steering in the same direction more than twice is not allowed. Note that steering in the opposite directions does not require a WC, so RL is considered valid and does NOT require the use of a wildcard, although in order to perform a RRLL, or any other combination of two steers in one direction and two in the other, one would require the use of a single WC.

Wild Cards
    Each driver starts the race with 8 wild cards. WCs can be used to double the change in speed or turn rate. Multiple WCs can be used during a single round, however, reducing or increasing speed more than twice or steering in the same direction more than twice is not allowed. Please designate WC usage with +1 in parentheses: MMRMM(R+1) or A(A+1)MMRMMM.

Order Example
    A complete order example follows. Suppose the current speed is 4, the current movement direction is North, and the current position on track is denoted by the Y. Then, an order might look like this:

A(2M)RM(R+1)

The movement on the track looks like this:
    Code:
    Y...
    The interpretation of the order is as follows: we first Accelerate to speed 5, so we can now issue 5 move orders. We then perform 2 Moves without changing the direction, which puts us two tiles above the original position. We then perform a Right turn, which makes the movement direction North-East, and takes us diagonally up and to the right. Then another move and a right turn, for which we use up a WC. The final movement direction is East, and speed 5.

Tiles
    The track features several types of tiles. Regular asphalt is denoted by the asterisk (*). The car behaves normally on track.

Blank tiles denote off-track space. Penalties are incurred for going off track.
    New: The penalties for going off track have been made substantially more severe.
    If you go off track:
    1 space penalty -3 current speed and -2 max speed (damage)
    2 spaces penalty -6 current speed and -4 max speed (damage)
    3 spaces penalty -9 current speed and -8 max speed (damage)
    After going off track, the car will be placed back on track in the same place it went off, facing in the same direction it was moving in when it went off.

Oil Slicks (o) will change your direction randomly. There is an equal chance of the direction being changed left, right, or remaining the same. Oil slicks appear when cars collide. If you leave the track for more than 1 tile due to an oil slick, the penalty is -4 -3.

Sand Bags (., S, s) Hitting a sandbag will result in the reduction of speed by 1. There are some sandbags in the sand alley. New: The configuration of the sandbags in the alley is reset with every lap, and the sandbags are made invisible. Invisible track is marked by ‘.’. When a sandbag is just revealed, it is denoted by a capital-S on the map. When the sandbag is hit again, it is flattened out and is denoted by a lower-case-s. When this smaller bag is hit again, it disappears from the track. Confirmed empty spots are denoted by the regular ‘*’ symbol. Note that if a sandbag is visible and you plan on passing it, you may put additional accelerate orders at the end of your turn, even if it would normally put you above your top speed if the sandbags weren’t there.

Banked Curves (b) Whenever you hit 2 banked curve tiles in a row, the direction of movement of the car is changed in the same direction as the turn. The steering bonus does not count towards the limit of two steers per turn in the same direction, but can only be applied once, so hitting 2 b tiles to turn, and then another 2 b tiles later on, the second hit will not do anything. Therefore, it is only possible to do at most three turns in the same direction using banked curves. Turns due to banked curves also do not count towards lane changes, therefore if the car gets a bonus steer to the right, for example, it does NOT automatically get a free left steer to be used later.

Crashes
    New: These are the rules enacted during the last race.
    When two or more cars are located on the same tile at the end of a turn, they crash. All cars remain on the same spot and receive a maximum speed reduction of 1 and new current speed reduction of 1, and an oil slick is created.

Car Specials
    You now can pick one upgrade for your car before the race starts. Send your choice in a PM to the GM. The choice will be posted in the grid.
    1. Turbo - You can issue a second accelerate OR brake command during your turn without using a WC.
    2. Swaybars - You can issue a second steer command during your turn without using a WC.
    3. Performance Package – You get double the wildcards at the beginning of the race, and (new) double the WCs from the pits.

Please keep in mind that you still cannot do more than 2 speed changes or 2 directional changes in one turn even with the car options, hence A(A+1)(A+1)MMMMMMMMM is not allowed.

Pit Stop
    One of the characteristics of your car is its Max Speed. Your current speed can never exceed your max speed. Whenever you take damage due to crashing or going off track, your max speed goes down. However, max speed can never dip below 6, no matter how much damage you take. There is no upper limit on the max speed. Max Speed is set to 12 for everybody at the start of the race.

Whenever you cross the PP line in the pits, you receive repairs. The current speed as you pass the PP marker determines the extent of the bonuses.
    Your additions to max speed is calculated by (10 - current speed). For example, if your speed is 6, your max speed will be increased by 4.
    Additionally, every speed 3 under 10 you get a free wild card (unless you have a performance package car, in which case you receive two free WCs for every 3 speed under 10). So:
    At speed 5, 6 you would get 1 free WC
    At speed 2, 3, 4 you would get 2 free WCs
    At speed 1 you would get 3 free WCs

To obtain the bonuses, however, you must mind the speed limit in the pits. The speed can be at most 6 between and including the pit delimiter markers (“##”). The speed is determined as you cross the ## marker. If you violate the speed limit, you receive no pit bonuses.

End of turn accelerate and break orders may be used within the pits. If you've passed the PP indicator you can accelerate without it affecting the speed calculated for repairs, but if you're not past the ## you still can't increase to faster than 6 or you will violate the speed limit and all repairs will be reversed. If your normal turn takes you past the ## you may end of turn accelerate to faster than 6.

Clarification: The repairs are calculated and applied the moment you *pass* or move off the PP marker. Therefore, if you end your turn on the PP line, then the effects will only be applied after your first move of the next turn, and so any A or B orders at the beginning of the turn will affect the extent of repairs you receive.

New Crashes can occur inside the pits, but they don’t produce oil slicks, though the regular penalties are still applied to the cars. Special powers and wildcards may be used within the pits.
    Last edited by vovan; June 23, 2005, 02:34.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Formation Lap

Welcome to Nascar 10 - Sandstorm Edition.

The race will be 4 laps. It goes in clockwise direction around the track. Each player starts heading north at the speed of 4. (I reduced the starting speed some, so that people have the time to sort each other out before the narrowing track, even though the finish straight is really short.)

Here is your track:

Code:
                  bb***************************
    	     b******************************
    	    b********************************
    	   b**    	       	           ***
    	   b**          	     	   ***
    	   b**          	      	   ***
    	    ***         	           === s
    	     ***        	           ... a
    	      ***       	           ... n
    	       ***      	       	   ... d
    	        ***     	  	   ... t
    	        ****   	  	   	   ... r
    	        *****  	  	   	   ... a
    	        ** *** 	  	   	   ... p
    	        **   ***  	   	   ... a
    	        ##   ****      	       	   ... l
    	        **  ****** 	   	   ... l
    	        ** ******** 	   	   ... e
    	        ** *********	   	   === y
    	        PP ========= s/f       	 ***
    	       	## *********   	   ***
    	       	** 123456789   	  ***
    		       b*****b
    			b***b
    			 bbb

CAR   DRIVER           DIRECTION  SPEED  WC    MAX  CUST  ORDERS
     1.   Kassiopeia           N   	    4	  ?    	12  none
     2.   Spaced Cowboy 	   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
     3.   rah		   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
     4.   snoopy369		   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
     5.   gjramsey 		   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
     6.   Tuberski 		   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
     7.   Sparrowhawk 	   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
     8.   Drogue 		   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
     9.   Jonny 		   N	    4	  ?    	12  none
    Please send in the first orders and your car type preference in a PM to me. Also before the race begins, feel free to comment on the track / rules and what-not - your experience and expertise is appreciated.

The race is all set to go under way.
    Spore page

Comment

Sent.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

We are starting out moving North in a clockwise direction correct?

Sparrowhawk learns to read

It goes in clockwise direction around the track. Each player starts heading north at the speed of 4.
        Orders sent!!

/me

Edit #2: by the way, one of things I found confusing about the last game is where are the Pitt stops calculated from. I ended a turn sitting on the Pitt stop marker but Rah did it that the effects wern't applied until I actually passed it (which meant the following turn). Not sure how you can clarify that in the rules, but I think he mentioned to me at the time taht someone ?Spaced? had just asked him the same question so it will probably come up again )
        Last edited by Sparrowhawk; June 8, 2005, 23:34.
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Sent
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

sent..confirm please...internet is flakey
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Clockwise? BLASPHEMY!!!! Vovan, don't you know races are always counterclockwise (turning left)?

Orders will be sent in a sec.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Question - it was last game my understanding that a turbo car could have:

AA(M10)BB as his orders and use no WCs

and a sway care

LL(M10)RR as his orders also no WCs.

The rules seem to use OR in a specific way - are you now only allowed one-but-not-both types in your turn w/o using a WC? Or did I just never understand it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
                  Edit #2: by the way, one of things I found confusing about the last game is where are the Pitt stops calculated from. I ended a turn sitting on the Pitt stop marker but Rah did it that the effects wern't applied until I actually passed it (which meant the following turn). Not sure how you can clarify that in the rules, but I think he mentioned to me at the time taht someone ?Spaced? had just asked him the same question so it will probably come up again )
                  That makes sense. Clarification added to the rules.

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                  sent..confirm please...internet is flakey
                  I got yours, Spaced.

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  Clockwise? BLASPHEMY!!!! Vovan, don't you know races are always counterclockwise (turning left)?
                  Uhh, no?

The only racing I watch with any regularity is F1, and there are a few tracks go clockwise (IIRC, Monza and Barcelona are such tracks, for example).

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  Question - it was last game my understanding that a turbo car could have:

AA(M10)BB as his orders and use no WCs

and a sway care

LL(M10)RR as his orders also no WCs.
                  That's right.
                  Spore page

Comment

But this is NASCAR ... perhaps the name should be changed to F1?

edit: I don't really care, am just razzing you

Comment

Sent.

Nevermind about the question I asked Vovan, I read the rules again.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

sent.

Comment

Clockwise....whoops, new orders coming in!
                          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I still think crashes should reduce speed by 1 also. Just to break up plotting 10 turns in advance.

Sent
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              I still think crashes should reduce speed by 1 also. Just to break up plotting 10 turns in advance.

Sent
                              Hey, I resemble that remark!

Comment

Working...
                              X