Guild Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild Wars

Have been playing this too much this week, and it's pretty impressive. Not sure about longevity (haven't tried much PvP yet) but it's great fun as a co-op MP RPG, and even if I don't play it at all after the PvE campaign it would still be worth the £18 it cost.

Love the game.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The thread might last longer than the other GW threads if you explain to all the interested posters just what it is that makes the game worthy of their time, effort, and, for the tight ones, money.

Comment

I hit the Level Cap last Weekend (Level 20) and thought the Rest of the Game would be a Walkover. Oh how utterly wrong I was.
        With Monsters generally above your Level, Success depends on Teamwork and the Skills/Spells you have brought with you/unlocked.
        Im still uncertain on the Long Term Fun though. Starting a New Char revealed to me how boring especially the First Missions in the Newcomer Area are- I rushed through most of them .

The Updates
        ( http://www.guildwars.com/news/gameupdates.html )
        ~ Although I had to jump to the English-speaking Districts to find enough Players at very Late Evening.

no monthly fee

Class Combo

SNL-like Dance ....

Overall: Pretty Easy to get into, harder to Master ( the most efficent SkillCombinations)
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Yeh - I just hit the desert with one of my chars (18 mo/el) and ... ouch. Competent groups can do okay, but if you have even one runner ...

I don't mind the first part of the game actually - it's SP, basically, but it's very quick, I got to level 7 and seared basically in eight hours or so with my second char ...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm tempted to buy this, but it seems a bit simplistic to me. Tell me it ain't so.
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Simplistic? (ie, simple?) I don't think so ...

You have a character, with two classes, a primary and a secondary. You have 4 skill types from your primary and 3-4 from your secondary, which correspond to 7-8 total 'attributes', of which you have, by levelmax (20), 150 total points to distribute between (1 point costs 1, 2 points cost 2, ... , 7 points cost 7, 8 points cost 9, 9 poinst cost 11, ...) Basically you can be "good" (8-10) in 2 skills, or "okay" (6-8) in three to four.

Then, you have in each skill category, about 20 skills to choose from, meaning you have a total of around 150 skills to choose from (if you get them all, which is hard). You can only choose 8 to be useable at any one time ... meaning you have to choose very carefully.

There are about 5 or 6 different ways of playing any given class combination; for example I have a monk/elementalist, which can either be played as:
              * Healer/nuker (my char): Fire, Healing high, some divine favor; basically heals people and has 2 fire damage spells equipped, one AOE and one direct damage, for when healing isn't necessary. Flexible in that when you are in a party with plenty of monks, you can add another fire spell or two and do more damage.
              * Healer/DOTer: Water or earth, healing high, some divine favor. Same thing, but with DOT or 'weaken' spells (earth, water); they take less energy to cast, as you only cast them once, and you help your other pals out, while mostly healing.
              * Healer/Protector: Healing and Protection prayers high; some divine favor; some (elemental). Basically a straight monk, with shielding spells and healing spells, but using ELE secondary to get better off-hand items (ie, like a shield, but instead of +armor it's +energy).
              * Protector/Nuker: Protection prayers high, fire high; healing middling. Has probably 2 nukes, 2 heals, 3 protects, 1 res. Mostly there to cast protects, then nuke, with some healing (only works as a secondary healing monk).
              * Smiting Monk: Smiting prayers high, healing, earth/water, and divine favor middling. Smiting prayers are the 'damage' part of monks. Earth/water are for DOT and weaken effects to enhance smiting - you may not have very many skills from that category, but in some instances you'll need them.

Etc. There are more possibilities - these are only some, and only some of Mo/Ele. (I'm not sure i'd ever play smiting monk as a Mo/Ele ... but a Mo/Mesmer, with smiting prayers and the far superior weaken spells of a mesmer ... *drools*)

Only having 8 skills also means you have to be *smart* - compared to FFXI or Everquest, my previous games, I get a lot more frustrated with people who don't bring the right skills along and/or who don't act smartly. You really have to bring the right skillset for the job - an elementalist who brings fire spells to an area with fire-resistant monsters is a complete waste of space ... and a Ranger/Mesmer who doesn't bring Cripple and a Fear skill ... well, same thing.

Add into that, the fact that you can adjust your skillpoints up OR DOWN - ie, totally change your skill focus if you decide you don't like how your char is currently playing, or if your guild needs a Nuking Monk instead of a Protecting Monk - giving a lot more flexibility, and meaning you don't have to just delete the char and start over if you want to change focus ...

I think it's a wonderful game. PvP is good, from my beta experience, only if you're in a game with experienced players, and preferably with a guild you're experienced *with* - then it's a load of fun, but random PvP like arena combats, is not as much because you often get complete idiots.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                I'm tempted to buy this, but it seems a bit simplistic to me. Tell me it ain't so.
                It aint so. I see Snoopy already has most bases covered.

Comment

Wow. This game sounds pretty good. I may have to pick it up.

Comment

You would be advised to sir, along with everyone else who doesn't yet have it.

Comment

It sounds much like a "Tactical Roleplay Battle" game rather than a true RPG. Do people play "in character" or is it all about tactics and tweaking skills?
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

very few people play in character in MMOs period

I even don't always do so..
                        Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah, don't start Ludding. It's a great tactical game, and I know you like that element of NWN as well as the RP.

Comment

I want both

Comment

Would you like the moon on a stick too?

Comment

Working...
                              X