Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so, what are the warning signs of carpal tunnel syndrome? and how to protect oneself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, what are the warning signs of carpal tunnel syndrome? and how to protect oneself?

well? educate me.

not a joke.
    B♭3

iirc

carpal tunnel syndrome is where the artery (vein?) on your inner wrist becomes inflammed

so i would imagine, pain in the inner wrist

reduction in ability to move your hand via your wrist

Type like you learned in school (if you had a class for it). Hold your hands over the edge of the keyboard (dont let them lay down on the edge of the keyboard)

don't do any repetitive action for a very long time
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I think first sign is having cold hands from the bad blood circulation in your hands.
      veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Actually, I think it's inflamation of the tendons.

(a) check with your doctor rather than the quacks around here.

(b) take breaks, say five minutes every hour.

(c) don't type so hard.

Comment

Go to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke's website for proper information:
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            (a) check with your doctor rather than the quacks around here.
            You're calling Dr Strangelove a quack?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

He's calling you a quack. Get a clue

[disclaimer][/disclaimer]

Comment

*sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                  don't do any repetitive action for a very long time
                  This is important.

These actions include using a mouse and typing on the keyboard. You need to take a break at least every hour.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

See?? According to DRoseDAR's link, it's a compression of the nerve. So no one here knows what they're talking about.

[Notice that Dr Strangelove, Doctor Feelgood and Tiamat have not posted in this thread. So IMHO we're all a bunch of quacks.]

Comment

Well, I'm not trying to show anyone up. It's just that a major institution of doctors that specialize in related fields to the syndrome ought to know better than 99.99% of the posters. I can't speak for our resident doctors as I don't know their specific qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                        Well, I'm not trying to show anyone up.
                        Terrific. You showed us up without even trying.

Don't ever apologize for being right. And oh yeah...

DRoseDARs

Comment

Re: so, what are the warning signs of carpal tunnel syndrome? and how to protect ones

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          well? educate me.

not a joke.
                          Ask Horsie, he'd be delighted to introduce you in the various types of syndromes, their causes, and their remedies.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Lots of wrist workouts prevent it...

That's not a joke. Do forearm curls with a dumbell or barbell. I saw my carpel tunnel go away in about a month.
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

The first symptom is usually a feeling of numbness in the palm and / or fingers 1 through 3 in the morning or after heavy use of the hands. The tendons to the fingers of the hand and the edian nerve enter the hand through a sort of tunnel, the carpal tunnel. the tendons are surrounded by lubricating sheaths called synovia. If the synovia swell due to heavy use and "repetitive trauma" pressure on the nerve may increase to the point of impairing circulation to the nerve. At first this expresses itself as relatively short periods of numbness easily relieved by rest, but if untreated may lead to permanent sensory impairment and even weakness and wasting of the thumb and fingers.
                              The condition can be treated by splinting the wrist at night and when being used. Splinting reduces the friction between the tendons and synovia which presumably also reduces the swelling. Anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen are useful, as is re-designing the offending tasks to make them less stressful on the wrist. Sometimes steroid injections help, and finally, there are surgical procedures that relieve the pressure in the carpal tunnel space.

Another theory is that the afflicted may have had a curse put upon him. The curse can be lifted by finding the person who cast the spell and driving spikes through his or her hands. The procedure won't work however if you reveal the name of whomever told you how to break the spell.
                              Last edited by Dr Strangelove; May 30, 2005, 23:54.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X