No announcement yet.

SMAniaC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm, I haven't noticed that myself. I'll try to watch out for it.
    this is common in normal smax too. basicly no unit next to it=no attack.supposedly they head for nearest base,but my experiance 59\50 they just leave period
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• Is there a list of all the changes this mode makes to the Game? I've downloaded and looked for a text file with this info but I didn't see one. I've read through this tread and its difficult to tell what all modifications have been made to the base game structure.

Is this something you've been keeping track of Maniac?

Comment

• He sure keeps track of this thread. You'll have a response quickly enough.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Can something be done to make Fundamentalism more balanced, without overpowering it? One of the things that attracts me to this game is the thought of what my bases look like, what my units fight like, etc. Frankly, I get bored running a Democracy, because they're no fun. There's something to be said for having an army of Fundie Spartans, single-minded in their efforts to obliderate their opponents.

EDIT: To clarify, I'd like to see Fundamentalism as being used for something other then warmongering. Both Police State and Democracy have their advantages to Builders, but Fundamentalism seems only useful when fighting. I'd love to see it adjusted to be a viable and useful builder/hybrid SE choice, without replacing Democracy. I've never like the idea of swapping government types in and out during gameplay. Sure, it's an aspect of the game, but are such sweeping, rapid, constant changes really all that realistic?
          Last edited by Harpalus; December 31, 2005, 15:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harpalus
            ..............................but are such sweeping, rapid, constant changes really all that realistic?
            (Such as Germany going Imperialism >>> Democracy >>> Dictatorship >>> Democracy all in the space of "40 turns"?)

Comment

• (A good example, but consider that the "ruling class" changed each time, and those changes, for the most part, occured as a result of losing a war. [Directly or indirectly] In SMAC, however, almost everybody changes governments often, with the faction leader remaining each time.)

Comment

• The fossile fuels thing... It gives you missile launchers, since you can't have a weapon that propels itself using fission/fusion reactions, can you? It'd be way too expensive to launch reactor core-loaded rockets to destroy things.

Also gives you fungicide tanks. Maybe the best way to kill fungus is use some form of hydrocarbon.?

Comment

• Originally posted by ERKUTHER
                  Is there a list of all the changes this mode makes to the Game? I've downloaded and looked for a text file with this info but I didn't see one. I've read through this tread and its difficult to tell what all modifications have been made to the base game structure.

Is this something you've been keeping track of Maniac?
                  I'm afraid not. There's just too many things changed. An almost entirely reshifted tech tree etc. In the map 'documentation' though you can find the modified SE system and tech tree, including what prerequisites all facilities, weapon types etc now have. This can function as a search document if you want to find out where something has moved, and covers most of the most changes. Then there are of course a few sections ôf alphax.txt which aren't covered in the documentation map, most notably the #RULES section. If you want to dig in the alphax.txt yourself but don't understand what it all means, I can recommend the alphax.txt guide on CGN though.

Well to be honest, when I started on SMAniaC, I indeed intended to keep a list of the changes, but as said it would be much to record every little change especially with the entire tech tree ****ed around, so I didn't continue it. For the record, here's the little I wrote, but I doubt it's of much use. Who knows if one day I know nothing to do, I might continue on it.
                  Attached Files
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• Originally posted by Harpalus
                    Can something be done to make Fundamentalism more balanced, without overpowering it?
                    It's been simply removed from SMAniaC's SE system. I tend to think that many of the effects of Fundamentalism could as well be attributed to Police States (specificially the PROBE & RESEARCH effects). Besides, I needed something to make room for the Unitary <-> Federal SE choice.

Originally posted by The_Reckoning
                    The fossile fuels thing... It gives you missile launchers, since you can't have a weapon that propels itself using fission/fusion reactions, can you? It'd be way too expensive to launch reactor core-loaded rockets to destroy things.

Also gives you fungicide tanks. Maybe the best way to kill fungus is use some form of hydrocarbon.?
                    I don't doubt the use of fossil fuels. I'm wondering though if it would be useful to recreate synthetic organic fossil fuels.

Comment

• Well to be honest, when I started on SMAniaC, I indeed intended to keep a list of the changes, but as said it would be much to record every little change especially with the entire tech tree ****ed around, so I didn't continue it. For the record, here's the little I wrote, but I doubt it's of much use. Who knows if one day I know nothing to do, I might continue on it.
                      a file compare program could easily find the changes. i used one in debuging a CMN issue. on the other hand, it takes a little effort still

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• Thanks for the info Maniac, as soon as I wipe out those pesky proginators and can secure my diplomatic victory I'll start a new game with the mod and give it a whirl. Everyone seems to be enjoying it and I like what I see for modifications detailed in the thread.

Comment

• Update 5/1/2006

* A typo in helpx.txt has been corrected.

* Information in modSE.txt and modtech.doc updated or expanded.

* The Free Drone research penalty has been increased to -3 RESEARCH.

* Changes to the Cult of Planet:
                          - Their fungal nutrient bonus has been removed. Instead they now get +1 fungal mineral and energy, to differentiate the faction from the Bree.
                          - Their Industry penalty has been scrapped.

* A custom faction, the Bree, has been added. Look for it in the ‘custom factions’ folder. You’ll also find there the alphax.txt you need to use to include this faction in the game. The faction graphics and concept are from The Network Node (www.networknode.org)

* Datalink info concerning research point accumulation in Conclave and Drone faction files corrected. The Conclave can research from the beginning. The Drones have to wait five years.

* Mineral restrictions are now lifted with researching Industrial Base instead of Industrial Automation. This was done so that the Cult doesn't have to research all the way to Industrial Automation before being able to profit fully from their fungal mineral bonus which they now have.

* Mining platforms now again produce one instead of two minerals in the beginning.

* The tech which gives a +1 mineral bonus has been moved forward from Bionanomachinery (a level 7 tech) to Industrial Automation.

I'll try to remember to update the whole download in my sig this weekend. Comments and critique on the new Cult and Bree are welcome. Overpowered? Underpowered?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• This isnt forgetten, but ive put off trying it out as im quite busy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kataphraktoi
                              This isnt forgetten, but ive put off trying it out as im quite busy.
                              No prob - I won't be pissed off at you if you don't play SMAniaC.

Regarding the update, I already changed a few things about bree.txt... So consider the update posted two days ago a 'beta'.

Comment

• First off thanks and congratz on making such a nice mod. I really like alot of what you have done with techs and units. I have played a bit of SP with it the last couple of days and there are a few factions, atleast in SP, that seem to be having trouble competing with the other AI. Again this is AI controlled in SP, so they are prolly managable by a good player, but AI hasn't had much success in my few games.

Morgan: that -2 support has him not doing much at all in games
                                so far. In fact in current game he's trying to run uni police to compensate with not much success.

Drones: that -3 research and no research for first 5 yrs is a crippler. A nice challenge for a human player maybe, but in both games I have played they where eradicated early. Might just be bad luck with a hostile neighbor in each game(Hive and Spartans).

Conclave: Not sure what is happening here. In my latest game they have 6 techs after 125 yrs of play. I think they are running junta and\or uni police so they have great support, but a bunch of crap units and very slow research.

I realize these observations are with limited testing and many of the original game factions had balance problems. Morgan and Drones might be better off with -1 supp and -2 research respectively in AI control. Not sure what to make Conclave a better faction for the overall game.

The -1 planet for the Cyborg is a good penalty for them, although seems to be missing from info in selection screen of the game.

Resources in fungus make Cult and Bree formidable as AI, and I like what you have done to make the Spartans perform better.

I haven't noticed any problems with native life forms not attacking like another player above, they seem to be attacking units and bases as normal.

I'm not sure what you did with the world builder, but in my games so far the continents seem to be connected which is nice since AI has probs with sea invasion.

Again, thanks for all your efforts on your mod, I have been having alot of fun with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X