Fed Ex to Oblivion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed Ex to Oblivion

A research scientist friend of mine, who developed and patented an inert sleeve for holding cells, uses Fed Ex to ship his product to labs & universities around the world. He was reading over the form they had for shipping scientific equipment and sent me the following e-mail:

My company ships stuff by Fedex. For international shipments, you're asked to enter the units of each item you ship, which you select from a pull-down menu. Here are some of the units you have to choose from:

ozone depletion equivalent

square kilometer

centimeter per second

number of kilobits / megabits

gigabecquerel

gigawatt-hour

terajoule

one thousand sticks

I wonder what the items are that have these units, and where they're being shipped?

(For example, the energy released in the Hiroshima explosion was 54 terajoules. . . Maybe Fedex is gearing up the global trade in weapons of mass destruction? )
    Anyone know what these other measurements are ? What would you ship by the "square kilometer" ? Has anyone checked O. bin Laden's Fed Ex account lately ? Maybe a large number of Fed Ex's left Iraq just before the US invaded.... Those packages should be tracked ....

Last edited by Uncle Sparky; May 21, 2005, 13:53.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

These are interesting units for sure.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What the Hell?

Comment

A square kilometer is 1 million square meters.
        There are16 sheets of paper A4 (21 x 29.7cm) in a sheet of 1 square meter.
        Therefore there are 16 millions sheets of paper A4 in a square kilometer. That represents 32000 reams of 500 sheets, which are packed in 128 loads of 250 reams, which are shipped in about 4 containers.
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Interesting factoid, Davout.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

kilobits / megabits is a constant, not a unit of measurement.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.â€

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man​

Comment

How do you ship a terajoule?
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                Batteries?

Comment

A gigabecquerel would probably be enough fissionable material to make a bomb.
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                    A gigabecquerel would probably be enough fissionable material to make a bomb.

Comment

Why use Fedex? It would be easier to deliver it on a missile.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Because FedEx has one of the coolest logo's ever?
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Easy. You send one Hiroshima bomb and ask in return a 53 terajoules bomb as change.
                          Statistical anomaly.
                          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

It would be cheaper to mail the bomb (postage due ) than to launch it with a missile.

Comment

Because I don't know about you, but I like my weapons of mass distruction to be clad in form fitting brown uniforms.
                              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X