No announcement yet.

Humanitas (A New Civilization Game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well SnOOpy, you not only a good artist in this medium, your also doing well as a promoter.

Setting expectations and building anticipation simulatenously with market research. Not bad. Kudos on several fronts at once.

Ooooooo! lookie at da pwetty gwaphics!

Comment

• Looks like most people go for a 'classic' definition of era passing.

Anyway, the underlying idea for my proposal was that in history (noteworthy the meso-american civilisations) reached quite heights regarding organisation and size, without having reached (or even needed) the technical abilities of the western, mid-eastern and eastern civs.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Originally posted by Sn00py
        I have a question for all:

How would you prefer the first 8 eras to go?

i.e.

Stone Age
        Bronze Age
        Iron Age
        Classical Age
        Dark Age
        etc..

What other combinations can you come up with, and if you can give reasons that would be helpful too.
        Can I have a DrSpike age?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sn00py
          I have a question for all:

How would you prefer the first 8 eras to go?

i.e.

Stone Age
          Bronze Age
          Iron Age
          Classical Age
          Dark Age
          etc..

What other combinations can you come up with, and if you can give reasons that would be helpful too.
          First 8? I would say that is too many time periods to go thru. Empire Earth tried this and it was not much fun for many people. I would say 8 total is the max for good game play.

If your game needs more than eight, then name them by the first tech/discovery required to start the period. Don't limit yourself to standard era naming conventions. ie stone, iron, medival, modern...
          Depending on what your game includes, use names like those mentioned by GeoModder.

Comment

• first time seeing it great stuff! And to think I was already holding out for sn00py to make new terrain for cIV. this stuff is way better!
            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

Can I have a DrSpike age?
              The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

• Mighty impressive

I want more... (eye candy, game specs, concepts)

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

• Are you really insistent on having a stone age? I don't see how that would be any fun.

I'd suggest going with 7 ages and cutting Stone age, much like jatf suggested below or adding an "enlightenment" age after the renaissance.

a good source for ideas would be the Civ III and Civ IV lists as well as the ideas forums for those old threads. the civ III ideas forum includes thousands of ideas that didn't make it on the list- if you're interested in those sort of things- they can give you a good idea of good techs to include.

Stone Age (Paleolithic then Neolithic)
                  Bronze Age
                  Iron Age
                  Classical
                  Late Antiquity (aka Dark Ages)
                  Medieval (early/middle/late)
                  Renaissance
                  Industrial
                  Modern
                  Post Modern
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Very impressive Snoopy, keep us posted

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      Are you really insistent on having a stone age? I don't see how that would be any fun.

I'd suggest going with 7 ages and cutting Stone age, much like jatf suggested below or adding an "enlightenment" age after the renaissance.

a good source for ideas would be the Civ III and Civ IV lists as well as the ideas forums for those old threads. the civ III ideas forum includes thousands of ideas that didn't make it on the list- if you're interested in those sort of things- they can give you a good idea of good techs to include.

Sorry, there are more ages than 7. I said the first 8, but I never said how many eras are in the game.

We have designed the beginning part of the game to be more challenging.

I have looked over the lists already; I will refer to them whenever we get stuck with something.
                      be free

Comment

• Beautiful graphics.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Well, it looks damn nice. Hopely there will be a game with it too
                          The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
                          - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

• "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud
                              Are you really insistent on having a stone age? I don't see how that would be any fun.

We are creating an epic game, we're not going in the direction of civ4 which seems to have dumbed down the tbs genre and gone for a more mass market game.

If you don't like long and epic games then this is probably not for you.

Comment

• I like long and epic games- I just don't think that the stone age could ever be very interesting. I would rather have more detail in modern ages. And considering the amount of art that you guys have to do (redesigning the display for every age) I fear that you might not ever finish if you focus on too many ages.

--Another possible 'tree' could be:

Stone Age Meta-Age (though I hate the stone age)
                                The Invention of Fire (civilization begins)
                                Animal Domestication
                                Vegetable Domestication (farming)
                                The Invention of the Wheel (and plow!)

Bronze Age

Iron Age

Classical

Late Antiquity (aka Dark Ages)

Medieval (early/middle/late)

Renaissance

Age of Slavery
                                Ever notice how all nations seem to need this to advance. Example: Russia had serfs before industrialization, the USA had slaves, etc.

Age of Enlightenment

Age of imperialism

Industrial

Digital Revolution

Globalism Revolution
                                -->Visit CGN!
                                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                                X