Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think fleeing from your countries draft is immoral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selective service is about filling out a useless form nobody's ever going to look at again unless you get a job with the federal government (in which case, if it isn't filled out, you just have to fill it out when you get there).

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Selective Service is part of the social contract we sign as (male) citizens of the United States. It's not about the state possessing your life. It's about holding up your end of the bargain to maintain the defense of the polity.
      It's too bad that all it took was one bad war using the draft to make it apparent why it's so stupid because while I agree with you in principle, in practicality, I can't trust the people who decided to "go to war" to actually be doing it for the best interest of the nation.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Selective Service is part of the social contract we sign as (male) citizens of the United States. It's not about the state possessing your life. It's about holding up your end of the bargain to maintain the defense of the polity.
        This would be one of those things that you 'sign' up for, despite not actually having any choice in the matter, right?

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        However, any state that required citizens of the state to be available for military service, I would find myself unable to become a citizen. I am a pacifist. I am unwilling to serve in the military regardless of whether the war is considered 'right' or 'just' by many or by few. Therefore during a draft, I would renounce my citizenship, even as I remained within the state.
        So Ben, when did you stop being a pacifist?

Comment

Probably moments after he posted that.

Comment

Not to be funny, but I don't remember signing any contract.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              Not to be funny, but I don't remember signing any contract.
              Yeah, you're a baby boomer, you were the first generation to laugh at the social contract.

"Uhg, all these kids we raised are so selfish"

- every boomer parent ever.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

most of our wars aint about defense, but all you've done is replace the state with another word

Comment

Depends on the war.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                    You country educates you, nurtures you, and protects you. You incur a debt which any moral person would repay and it within the social group's rights to compel repayment.
                    I can not wait until he goes off on an anti military rant again on Facebook.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                      most of our wars aint about defense, but all you've done is replace the state with another word
                      exactly. it's an incredibly authoritarian idea to believe that the state has the right to demand that you fight for it, which is perhaps why its supporters feel the need to lie, even to themselves, about what it really entails.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

If it's just men then aren't we holding up more than our part?
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          Yeah, you're a baby boomer, you were the first generation to laugh at the social contract.

"Uhg, all these kids we raised are so selfish"

- every boomer parent ever.
                          Some of us so called selfish boomers had to sweat through the draft lottery. Fortunately that year they stopped before they got to my number.
                          I didn't flee the country to avoid it.

The next generation had it easier.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                          X