Time for some retro fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for some retro fun...

Now here's something you don't see every day. I was walking home, someone is renovating a house and what do I see lying on the street, on top of a big pile of junk? An original atari VCS 2600 "woody" , complete with the original box, joystick, paddles + games and all!

If i can get the thing to work (fingers crossed )I'm going to have some retro fun!

Anyone else experienced this sort of 'luck'?
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

sniff, sniff...I still remember the day that I tossed all my C64 and amiga stuff into the dumpster....it were time to move on.

Seems like the memories are stronger than doing it again. You really can't go back.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

No, we can never go back. But sometimes you do have the rare opportunity to relive those moments, if only for a short while.

Of course, you don't find an old gameconsole lying on the street every day. I always enjoy the challenge of getting something like this in working order again.

You threw your old compo's in the dumpster!? Trying to sell it is usually more profitable. Or else by bringing it to a thrift store. That way someone else may get some use out of it.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

If you are a hoarder like me you have 2 spectrums, an Amiga, a NES and an old PC in your cupboard under a pile of stuff.

Comment

I always had to sell my old compo's (c64, Amiga) to get enough money to buy a new one.

Comment

You lucky guy. I never played the Atari, I was too young then(born in 1986 and all), but I had lots of fun with the NES, SNES and early computers(at a friend, nearly noone had a computer in my neighbourhood at the time). I had a NES I inherited from some older relatives, but when it broke down, my father threw it and all the games instead of trying to get it fixed. Allright, it happened at the time of Nintendo 64, but it was a NES for crying out loud!
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Another one here that regrets having thrown away an old Commodore 64/128... Well, I don't remember what happened to it... Hm, I think we sold it... Would be great fun to have it and test the old games...

I mostly remember Pitstop II, Track and Field (we wasted at least 10 joysticks with that one), a Western game where you walked around and tried to figure out something (a bank robbery?) and some cool ninja game...

You could call the doc a drunkard in the Western game, but if you got hurt later on he wouldn't help you and you'd bleed to death...

We also had a very famous karate game... Don't remember the name, but you could fight each other and one guy was wearing a read outfit, the other a white (or was it yellow?)...

I'm not trowing this one away... Need it for Civ 2, Caesar 3 and a bunch of other games that I'll continue to play...

I'm way too nostalgic in life... Not good!

Carolus

Comment

I should have mentioned that these machines were not working. Both probably needed new power supplies (in fact it was 2 C64s and an amiga 500 with the 1.5 MD upgrade for mem.) We were moving and they had been in the closet for a while.

There gets to be a point when you are moving that you need to quit moving the boxes and get on. Especially since we are talking about 20+ boxes with all the software/magazines/hardware. I had at least 15 joysticks, but at least I finally figured out how to fix/tune those.

The worst part is that I could now probably easily build a power supply from scratch that would work better than the ones than came with. I test power supplies for a living, so I've become pretty familiar with them.

Those were the first LAN parties, playing MULE with my buddies to all hours of the night. (Back before Nikolai was even born)
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

*pffff*
                  Old man, thinking he's cooooool and all... Get back to your pension oldie.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                      sniff, sniff...I still remember the day that I tossed all my C64 and amiga stuff into the dumpster....it were time to move on.

Seems like the memories are stronger than doing it again. You really can't go back.
                      my mother did that for me.

and she sold all my hot wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
                        Another one here that regrets having thrown away an old Commodore 64/128... Well, I don't remember what happened to it... Hm, I think we sold it... Would be great fun to have it and test the old games...

I mostly remember Pitstop II, Track and Field (we wasted at least 10 joysticks with that one), a Western game where you walked around and tried to figure out something (a bank robbery?) and some cool ninja game...

You could call the doc a drunkard in the Western game, but if you got hurt later on he wouldn't help you and you'd bleed to death...

We also had a very famous karate game... Don't remember the name, but you could fight each other and one guy was wearing a read outfit, the other a white (or was it yellow?)...

I'm not trowing this one away... Need it for Civ 2, Caesar 3 and a bunch of other games that I'll continue to play...

I'm way too nostalgic in life... Not good!

Carolus
                        Pitstop II. Yeah I used to pull those joysticks so hard to the right and left around turns. Yet I never destroyed any joysticks. those things were fairly sturdy. I think we've only had to replace one.

Comment

My Amiga was knackered beyond repair so it really had to go.
                          Overuse?

I also had a Binatone that was pretty awful, as only Pong worked. That disappeared to charity, so there are probably some students in a 3rd World country somewhere all reminiscing about the great times they had with all-night Pong duels.
                          That, or the shop just chucked it when it hadn't sold for several months.

Comment

I've been considering getting one of those emulator joystick things, with a load of old school games on.
                            I read a review for a C64 one in the latest Games magazine, and it got a good review. It comes in the shape of the great old competition pro type joystick, with about 30 classic C64 games. I doubt they will be as good as a real C64(these emulation things rarely are), but for £15 i feel i might give it a go?

like Dr.Spike i tend to keep a sample from each generation of home computer, and they get the odd run out when i can be bothered to dig them out of storage.

And to counter one arguement made here, i find that a great game from any era is still a great game today. Games
                            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Emulators do rule if you can find a good one that doesn't suffer from speed issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X