Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer sound technical question - can you play mp3s during a game with sound FX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer sound technical question - can you play mp3s during a game with sound FX?

Is there anyway to play mp3s and gamesounds at the same time?

One can, IIRC, play CD music and game music at the same time, but when you launch winamp, for example, during a game, it will show you a small error message about the the device being occupied. ( this is because CD music is played through a different... umm.. thingee.

So, can you somehow bypass that? ( without ripping your MP3s on CDs, of course)
    urgh.NSFW

Hum, atleast CIV3 and winamp co-exist peacefully... I think it might have something to do with directsound output, as opposed to waveout... In winamp.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

bump.

Tattila: they do? I never tried, to be honest.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yep. Doesn't even take that much juice, which was a consideration with my old AMD 500mhz.

But I think you should check, whether your soundcard drivers are fully direct x compatible, and support, hum, was it "full duplex"?

Been awhile since I actually touched any settings...

Comment

Heh, P3 500MHz over here.

about the other stuff, how does one check this?
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

As far as I know, I was able to do this since Windows 98. As a matter of fact, I'm doing this right now.
            I don't know about other OS's, but if you have winXP you should be fine.
            The monkeys are listening.

Comment

What system? I'm assuming win98...

There should be, in the windows/system, or system32 folder, a program called dxdiag. It should tell you, if you have non-compatible drivers and such.

And your, um, control panel has a "sound and sound devices", or similar. If anywhere, there's your answer.

Sorry I can't be of much help, my stuff usually works of the box. (knocks on wood)

Comment

did the sound check, and it came out great.

as to
                And your, um, control panel has a "sound and sound devices", or similar. If anywhere, there's your answer.

There is no such things. no full multiplex, no nothing.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

You have to select and use the DirectSound output plugin in Winamp. Check your Preferences.

At least if you are still using winamp 2.x, don't know about newer versions, but I guess it's worth a try.

Comment

Winamp gives an error message:

It sez: "DirectSound output v2.2.10 error:

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration"

Without the game ( Civ 2 ) it plays it very well, otoh.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Personally I turn video game sounds off. They get so repetitive and annoying after a while.
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

I like the sounds, but the music sometimes drives me insane. ( 'cept Quake 2, which has the best videogame soundtrack ever, IMO )
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az

Winamp gives an error message:

It sez: "DirectSound output v2.2.10 error:

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration"

Without the game ( Civ 2 ) it plays it very well, otoh.
                          hmm don't know.. try to play around with the configuration of the plugin.
                          Does it work with Civ3 ?

Comment

Played around the plug in config.... winamp crashed like a motherplucker.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

If you want to play you own music in games and
                              a) have lots of HD space
                              b) have an mp3 decoder
                              c) want to reduce CPU usage for music playback
                              or
                              d) want to play music without needing a CD
                              and
                              e) only intend this for your own personal use

Convert the tracks from a music CD or an MP3 file into .wav files. While these can be 10-15 times the size of an MP3 file, they also require much less CPU to play. They will also run quite fine from win media player which itself has low system usage.
                              There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Working...
                              X