AoE 3 = Colonization II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AoE 3 = Colonization II

I've heard some things about Age of Empires 3 that definitely point to a Colonization influence. Of course, the game is based around colonizing the new world, but there's more specific parallels than that: you have a home city, the game revolves around trade routes, and the civs have similar attributes. The English get more colonists, Dutch get a "bank" to power economic development. Spanish and French are also in, as well as Germans(!).

Although I long for a Colonization remake, this doesn't look bad - esp. since I'm an old AoE fan.
    "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Excellent Maybe the trade route things will make the game less of a slugfest, and more interesting
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor, somehow I doubt that- I mean, why tinker with a mechanic that's proven to work?
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

A TBS cannot be = A RTS
        Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

...unless it's Europa Universalis
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I still look forward to any Firaxian Colonization remake.
            Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Colonization as RTS? Somehow the thought doesn't excite me ...
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Ah come on, we must learn to love TBS and RTS equally
                "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

As an old Starcraft fan, I don't think I can be accused of not liking RTSs. But an RTS can't be Colonization.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Sure it can. As Dark Cloud alluded to, Paradox has been very successful in converting TBS games to RTS (EU was a board game) while retaining their essential flavour. In my opinion, the turn based format is less intrinsic to colonization than, say, exploration and trade and traffic with the mother country and diplomacy with the natives, etc...
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Probably someone already said this (I'm not reading the posts now): AoE3 is RTS and can never substitute a TBS strategy game.
                      AoE3 is rather American Conquest II...
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                      X